Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

Can anyone help me with this please?

I upload say 100 images and want to apply the same category to them all. I go to Symbiostock/Media, select all the images, choose “Edit” from the drop down list and “Apply”. I then select a category and update. All the images then show in the list that the category has been applied, but they do not show in the category/gallery on the live site.

Robin indicated a week or so ago this was a WooCommerce issue but I can find nothing of help in their pages.

Any ideas please anyone as this is going to be incredibly tedious when I upload thousands of images to have to do them one at a time?

Profile photo of Hebstreit
    Hebstreit
    Participant

this is a simple woocommerce/wordpress topic. .. are your images already published? .. are the images searchable? is the category path shown on product pages? .. how are the category pages linked? .. you can format them like “product-category/cat1+cat2/”

Hebstreit
    Participant

with Adobe Bridge CC2017 you can set your cat-names with the supplemental-category – filed. Symbiostock can read this and will fill your media correctly on the website. unfortunately in CC2018-Bridge the supplemental-category feature is not longer available. for the mass editing is the exiftool the only one i know – but it’s not very handy.

Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

Thanks for your reply Hebstreit but No 1 I don’t understand at all and No 2 I don’t have Adobe anything, so can’t use that.

I can’t understand why applying a category is shown as an option in Bulk Edit yet it doesn’t actually do anything. Thanks anyway

Hebstreit
    Participant

my idea was for timesaving only to categorise the media before uploading. For the moment i also set categories by the bulk-edit on the website and this works definitely. i think its on yours to search for the bug – lean back be careful. there are bigger topics in selling digital media 😉

Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

Ah, so the bulk edit on the website works for you then? In which case there has to be an issue within my Symbiostock.

No chance whatsoever of me having the knowledge to fix a bug but at least I now know where the problem is. Before it could have been Woo, WordPress or Symbiostock.

Thank you – maybe Robin can help with this?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Mike – if the bulk edit does not work this has nothing to do with Symbiostock – I think I already explained this. Symbiostock does not alter the category field for products – that is strictly WooCommerce and must be unique to your install.

However as per your original question – are you saying they are added to the categories in the backend? If so, then if it’s not appearing on the live site then this has something to do with the way you’ve setup the theme.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It could also be a woocommerce setting issue – not Symbiostock related though. Categories are built into WooCommerce.

Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

I THINK I might have narrowed down the issue:

What happens is I upload a batch of images through ftp, run the cron job and the images appear in Symbiostock/Media. You can if you wish select all and from the drop down list Edit/Apply. You can then choose to apply a particular category to ALL the images and then “Update”. Sure enough the category then appears beside each and every image. However, they do not appear on the live site under that category (or anywhere else) – whatever you do.

I’ve discovered that no images will appear anywhere on the live site until each one is SEPARATELY processed by going to “Edit” not “Quick Edit”. Quick edit only has an update button whereas Edit has a “Publish” button and that makes the difference. You cannot “Publish” more than one image at a time. In other words, each image must be individually fully edited and it’s not possible to do this in bulk. It must be one at a time.

Once images have been fully edited and published one at a time, THEN (and only then) can they be bulk edited to apply say a further category and the Update button used.

Is there any means by which this can be changed so they can be bulk processed? That would reduce the time spent setting the site up initially considerably. Thanks Robin

Mike,

I didn’t see the issues you talked about on my site. Whenever you click update, the batch of photos I choose are all updated with new category I assigned.

Did you set all your media to auto publish whenever EXIF info is available in file? I don’t know if that makes differences.

Or, you may try to disable most of the plugins leaving only Symbiostock and Woocommerce running to see if it makes differences. That is the way I troubleshooting most issues.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Mike – you can definitely bulk publish products. When you click on bulk edit go to ‘Status’ and instead of ‘No Change’ set it to publish. You can do this when you add them to categories if you want (all at once) and the categories will be added and products published at the same time.

Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

Thanks Songquan and Robin. Changing Status” to “Publish” worked perfectly first time and a large batch of images correctly published to the correct category.

I just spent something like 10 hours over recent days individually uploading 500 images. I have a couple of thousand more to do and the thought of it almost made me lose the will to live Could I suggest this little (but vital) tip is added to the documentation?

Thanks again

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Mike – that’s a good suggestion and we will look into it. The issue is that ‘drafts’ vs ‘published’ products is a very standard part of WordPress so it is assumed most people have a rudimentary understanding of this, but you are correct – many users may never have used WordPress before and such concepts may not be totally clear. Thank you very much for pointing it out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.