Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi All,

I found this feature in the plugins/symbiostock/readme.txt:

* Added feature: Metadata reading now includes the Supplemental Categories field and will add images to and create categories for them.

I can’t seem to get this to assign images to an existing category or to create a new one.

Here’s what I’ve tried:

– Imported with and without custom EXIF metadata configured via Settings ->”Read Extra Metadata” and “Force Meta”.
    Using the following fieldnames: SupplementalCategories and Category. I found “Category” fieldname in tools-ftp.php while debugging and thought to test it out.

– Confirmed the image(s) have the fieldname by checking with exiftool shipped with Symbiostock:

$ ./exiftool ../../../../ss_media/ss_1806.jpg | egrep "Object|Keywords|Supp"
    Object Name                     : Alexandra-(99)
    Keywords                        : alexandra, shaykh
    Supplemental Categories         : Alexandra

– Symbiostock has read/write access to image EXIF. Confirmed through Setting tests as well as viewing image EXIF data. The fieldnames “Keywords” and “ObjectName” above was populated by Symbiostock.

This will greatly help as I’m about to begin importing 1500 photos 🙂

Regards,
    Ross

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Ross,

Thanks for all that thorough information. Let me look into it and test it.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Try going to tools-ftp and edit the code to look like this:

if (!$keywords && isset($metadata->Subject)) $keywords = $metadata->Subject;
    			if (isset($metadata->SupplementalCategories)) {
    				if (!is_array($metadata->SupplementalCategories)) $category[] = $metadata->SupplementalCategory;
    				else $category = array_merge($metadata->SupplementalCategories,$category);
    			}
    			if (isset($metadata->SupplementalCategory)) {
    				if (!is_array($metadata->SupplementalCategory)) $category[] = $metadata->SupplementalCategory;
    				else $category = array_merge($metadata->SupplementalCategory,$category);
    			}
    		}

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Robin,

Thanks so much, I will try again when back from holiday over the Easter Weekend!

Chat soon,
    Ross

Profile photo of Peter Moore
    Peter Moore
    Participant

Hi, I’m having the same problem as Ross however the code supplied above is already present in the tools-ftp file.

I’ve had a look at the details of the files where I’ve added supplemental categories (with Photoshop CS6) using exiftool and they seem to be correct.

Other metadata, title for example, is being read OK. The wizard shows the metadata can both be read and written by Symbiostock.

Any ideas what I could try next?

Many thanks,

Pete

Profile photo of Darren
    Darren
    Participant

Like Pete I am also having issues with this, I’ve tried every variation of settings.

The supplementary category exists when I download the image through my shop but Symbiostock appears to ignore it?

Could it be something server side?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Darren,

Can you PM me your login information so I can take a look? Also ensure that one of the uploaded files you mentioned is already there so I can download it and take a look.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Issue has been resolved – there is a tiny syntax issue with the SupplementalCategories reading in Symbiostock which will be fixed in the next release (3.3). Additionally, it will now also read the “Category” metadata field.

Profile photo of Hebstreit
    Hebstreit
    Participant

Hi all, i like this discussion but my understanding is a bit poor 🙂 i will try to fill my SupplementalCategories via exiftool, but assigning the Media to existing or new categories is not working without extra code? Will this become a feature in further Versions?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Herbstreit,

Are you having any issues with the category reading and what not right now? If so, what exactly is your issue? If not, are you asking about a feature?

Hebstreit
    Participant

Hi Robin, for the moment i’ve been testing a platform outside my home-Site and symzio: myBiday is based on counting Images and Categories. In case that Symbiostock can categorise via Metadata will be a big plus. I hope that will be a bit clear.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Symbiostock definitely categories by metadata in the sense that if you have the category or supplementarycategory field filled out via your editor that it will auto-populate during import.

Hebstreit
    Participant

uh, YES, .. it works. 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.