Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 176 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

2.8.2 no child

all categories are messed up
    also, display of categories takes TOO LONG — looks like it’s getting 5 minipics for every category. that’s 900 image reteivals, 99% of which will never be seen. this is overkill for anyone trying to look at 1 or 2 categories — better to just get the images when they actually ask for the category

anyway — here’s what my categories look like in ‘image categories’

Birds
    — Penguins
    — Puffins
    Business

Travel – Latin America (202)
    Travel – Turkey (115)
    Travel – United States (1118)

— Utah
    — — Bryce Canyon
    — — Escalante
    — — Zion and Cedar Breaks

I understand we can’t go more than 1 deep, so I changed all my sub categories under travel to be their own ‘travel – ‘ categories. I still have some 2nd level sub-sub categories (eg Bryce), but i’ll deal with those later

however, the image categories are completely alphabetical, and the subcategories are displayed as if they were subs of the preceding alphabetical top level category. resulting in this :

Animals (231)
    –> Antarctica (56)
    Antique Maps (117)
    Architecture | Interiors (346)
    –> Arizona (53)
    Birds (198)
    –> Bryce Canyon (60)
    –> Buddhism (108)
    –> Burma – Myanmar (41)

note, too that Buddhism and Burma are actually 1st level under travel-asia, while Bryce is SECOND level under Utah which is under travel-US, but they’re shown as if they were equivalent level subs under ‘birds’. if the new system can’t deal with second level categories like US –> Utah –> Bryce, then it should ignore them rather than showing them out of context. (I plan to make a separate ‘detailed categories’ page to handle these cases)

a completely alphabetical listing eliminates all the necessary information

one solution would be to append any parent info before sorting — eg, Bryce would become

travel – united states > Utah > Bryce and then everyone would play together nicely;

since these lists will get long, twould be helpful if only top level categories were shown, with ability to expand or contract

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Today I’m going to address this problem and issues like it by integrating an option to choose between the “pretty” categories and the multi-level dropdown list we had before (slightly pretty-fied)

That will be the best of both worlds.

The MENUS typically are locked at 1 level – simply due to modern standards. But we can re-integrate the category levels on the browsing page. Expect an update tonight.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

ok, but what about the long time it takes to show the screen because of the numerous searches???

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

What do you mean by that :/

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

guys, can anyone tell me on which template is the code to remove these lines?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

class “panel” I believe.

try assigning:

.panel {
    box-shadow: none;
    border: 0;
    }

Have you set up with Dragonfly yet?

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

@leo wrote:

class “panel” I believe.

try assigning:

.panel {
    }

Have you set up with Dragonfly yet?

I have, but decided to use the old child theme as I like the original theme and want minimal customization.. old child theme is sufficient I think..

am I missing a bigger opportunity by skipping dragonfly? 🙂 or is there an easier way to remove those lines by using dragonfly?

Actually more than removing them, I would prefer to use color #fff so that I can always put them back by changing the color..

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

btw thanks Leo,

I have used the following code and it worked.. I will look into it further tomorrow to change the color of those lines to white, instead of removing them.. I can sort it out, now that I know it’s class “panel”

.panel {
    }

I will play with dragonfly on my testing site when I have some time.. It really does look exciting.. But I am already happy with the site “as is” 😀

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

The dragonfly theme is for making a big site visual/personality change, and then following them up with the customizer and in some cases small bits of CSS.

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

Image page wonkyness using Dragonfly > Slate

http://www.travelwitness.net/image/franzosischer-dom-gendarmenmarkt-berlin-germany-5-2/?r=www.travelwitness.net

Rest of it works fine.

What is the CSS code to change the highlight link, Download button and Search colours. Be nice to match them to my logo 🙂

Love the direction this all moving, looking much slicker now – it’s come a long way.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thanks for noticing that. For some reason image alignments were fine on my end, but yours seems to be different. Your site looks really good btw

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@leo wrote:

What do you mean by that :/

from previous post:

also, display of categories takes TOO LONG — looks like it’s getting 5 minipics for every category. that’s 900 image retreivals, 99% of which will never be seen. this is overkill for anyone trying to look at 1 or 2 categories — better to just get the images when they actually ask for the category

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Cidepix – I have been trying to remove those border lines as well – still cannot manage it even with this snippet – did you put it in as it is or change it?

~~
    ~~
    2.8.2 own child theme
    How do you remove the grey gradients on the sliders – I get them in my latest images sliders as well and the grey goes over the top of the picture making them look very dull. Why do some have them and some not?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

@matt wrote:

Image page wonkyness using Dragonfly > Slate

http://www.travelwitness.net/image/franzosischer-dom-gendarmenmarkt-berlin-germany-5-2/?r=www.travelwitness.net

Rest of it works fine.

What is the CSS code to change the highlight link, Download button and Search colours. Be nice to match them to my logo 🙂

Love the direction this all moving, looking much slicker now – it’s come a long way.

Not on my pc right now but I think the codes for search and download buttons were starting with btn-primary and btn-success and they were located in bootstrap-maintheme.css or something similarly named.. I can’t remember exactly but may help you find it.. I will post again to confirm when I am on a PC 🙂

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

See my picture above – I did a search for Cat
    Both Stockabily and Picture5479 bought up results totally unrelated to cats.
    I have spoken to Mark and he has resaved his settings to ensure that they are set to “word borders” and while a direct search on his site no longer brings up people instead of cats, a search on my site does.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 176 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.