Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

@scenicoregon wrote:

I got mine to work now, no generation of random password, customer-selected password works. The bug occurred when I updated from 2.x to 3.x, but had not deleted the old emailer per these instructions:
    http://www.symbiostock.org/community/viewtopic.php?p=4683#p4683

To fix, I switched the theme to a WP default theme, deleted the email pluglin (**that’s important!**), then turned my Symbiostock child theme back on. It wanted to reinstall the email plugin right away, let it and it’ll put the correct new one in.

Also, the “a password will be emailed to you” message on the registration can be changed by going to Appearance>editor>Symbiostock (on the right in blue)>register_symbiostock.php (again, on the right in blue). Look through the code there and you change the note at the bottom of the registration form to whatever you want. I believe this is editing a parent theme template, so when it updates I’d gather that you’ll have to go change it again. Also, I have the Pro version, I don’t know if you have access to edit these templates without the Pro version.

Works for me, now, much thanks to Jo Ann Snover who spent a lot of time helping me out with it.

I’ll do that tomorrow on my basic install. Thanks a ton guys.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@klsbear wrote:

[…]

Is there any way to link to that as a subscriber, to offer them a way to change passwords if they want to?

I provided this link

http://stockyimage.com/wp-admin/profile.php

on my top menu next to login/out. Towards the bottom you have the option to change passwords. See if that works for you.

Jo

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I followed the steps to delete and reinstall the email plugin (although I think I did have the correct one). My tests were less conclusive though.

I first deleted my old test users. Then I created the first one, was successfully passed through to the cart area to buy my images. I then logged out.

Next, I created a new user name with that same email address. That sent me to the error screen and I was able to change the email address to a new one. I was then passed to the cart area again – ie I was logged in with that new user name. I logged out and tried to log in again – didn’t work with my chosen password.

For some reason, the emails confirming registration took about 45 minutes to arrive, but the second errored registration shows a generated password that doesn’t work either.

So, bottom line – there does seem to be a remaining issue with registrations that start with a mistake – either a user name or email that has been used before. Not sure what the chance is of a new buyer making that mistake, but it does seem to screw up the process.

Steve

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Guys, Leo clearly said he is no longer working on Symbiostock as he is working on other projects, call it what you want, but retirement seems close enough to me.

Obviously there is a bug, or I am this stupid?

Why is it not being fixed? Leo, when do you have time to fix this, please? I am really worried, you are too busy, and that has me concerned.

I am not here to attack anyone, I am just worried about my site, and I have no way of fixing this stuff. I am reliable on others. WHen the next version is released, hopefully bugfree, I will upgrade and never upgrade again.

Thanks,

Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

@scenicoregon wrote:

I got mine to work now, no generation of random password, customer-selected password works. The bug occurred when I updated from 2.x to 3.x, but had not deleted the old emailer per these instructions:
    http://www.symbiostock.org/community/viewtopic.php?p=4683#p4683

To fix, I switched the theme to a WP default theme, deleted the email pluglin (**that’s important!**), then turned my Symbiostock child theme back on. It wanted to reinstall the email plugin right away, let it and it’ll put the correct new one in.

Also, the “a password will be emailed to you” message on the registration can be changed by going to Appearance>editor>Symbiostock (on the right in blue)>register_symbiostock.php (again, on the right in blue). Look through the code there and you change the note at the bottom of the registration form to whatever you want. I believe this is editing a parent theme template, so when it updates I’d gather that you’ll have to go change it again. Also, I have the Pro version, I don’t know if you have access to edit these templates without the Pro version.

Works for me, now, much thanks to Jo Ann Snover who spent a lot of time helping me out with it.

Seems to have worked great. Thank you.

Edit: Also, you can remove the line about the password being e-mailed … I think it’s on or around line 55 in wp-content/themes/symbiostock/register-symbiostock.php

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@semmickphoto wrote:

Guys, Leo clearly said he is no longer working on Symbiostock as he is working on other projects, call it what you want, but retirement seems close enough to me.

Why is it not being fixed? Leo, when do you have time to fix this, please? I am really worried, you are too busy, and that has me concerned.

I am not here to attack anyone, I am just worried about my site, and I have no way of fixing this stuff. I am reliable on others. WHen the next version is released, hopefully bugfree, I will upgrade and never upgrade again.

Thanks,

you’re taking Leo’s comments completely out of context

leo said he was working on other SYMBIOSTOCK projects such as the VAT plugin, and he continues to respond to vital needs

once the problem was isolated Leo quickly responded with a fix and update.

no software is ever bugfree – every change or improvement has the potential to affect everything that was previously working. for an open source project, more responsibility is assumed by users to help with tracking down any problems that arise

meanwhile others have shown you ways to handle the problem – have you tried those alternatives?

Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

Ok I just spent about an hour exploring this problem. There are some inconvenient things. Which probably could be fixed fairly easily.
    1) It seems that the generated password in the welcome e-mail won’t work. I solved this by changing my welcome letter to inform the customer about this. Not perfect but a simple fix.
    2) When registering with an already used e-mail – I did get the error message. I clicked the lost password link and the reset worked fine. However it did eventually take me to a weird profile page instead of getting me back to the main site. When I reselected the main domain I was indeed logged in.
    This is a small glitch I could do without but not really anything that is killing my sales.

Both of these issues don’t look entirely professional but as far as I can tell they aren’t killing sales either. I was able to make a purchase without ever having to check my e-mail and I am guessing that is what most customers will do.

Leo if you get some time and have any questions about my experience just send me a note. Maybe we can make this one go away pretty easily.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

@semmickphoto wrote:

Thanks,

Ron – Not meaning to attack you either but he’s been on this thread 4 times, and started another thread with a request to test some things and respond. I think that’s a far cry from retirement. He can’t be on here 24/7 to offer endless free support, he has a family to support too. It seems pretty clear to me that he’s working on it but these things take some time to discover, test and resolve.

Please read through this thread. You’ll see that I and others were able to successfully register on your site. I was also able to successfully request a password reset. I also offered some simple, quick solutions you could implement if you have a buyer run into the problem in the interim while the solution is being worked out.

I have to say it’s a bit disheartening to have spent a fair amount of time trying to duplicate your buyer’s experience on your site, discovering what did or did not trigger the problem, offer short term workarounds while the problem is being fixed, and I log in here to see another post about your conviction that Leo’s “retirement” is near and no fixes yet not a single acknowledgement to any of us that worked at trying to help you.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@leo wrote:

4 people down, 6 up. For those of you who are down, please set me up with an admin account (leo[at]symbiostock.com) and we’ll get this straightened out.

Hello everyone – I’m going to post on both threads in case anyone missed it.

I asked for people to set me up with an admin account so I could troubleshoot their sites. The only person who set me up I tested, and it seems things are working.

In the meantime, I’m going to send out a mass-email via this forum and get everyone tuned in.

Leo

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Note – to avoid confusion I’ve merged both threads to this one. All the “email doesn’t work” subject is here now.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

No problems here. I’ve tested it twice and everything works fine.
    (I’m on the latest versions of WP, Theme, Plugins and Firefox)

Profile photo of pling
    pling
    Participant

@leo wrote:

In the last few days people have been mentioning that registration is a little funky for some people.

First, do these checks:

1. Upgrade WordPress to the latest version.
    2. Upgrade ALL plugins.
    3. Turn the Symbiostock theme OFF
    4. Turn premium plugin OFF and remove the emailer plugin *important*
    5. Reactivate the theme, and the emailer plugin should be updated.

Now try signing up with a test account via the usual way.

Toggling your theme simply ensures (in case you’ve missed it) that the latest email plugin for Symbio is installed.

I noticed a small hickup in my own registration process, the password not registering properly, but since doing the above it works for me.

Please do the same and let me know via the pole above where you stand.

Leo

when you say ” remove the emailer plugin *important*” do you mean the “SYMBIOSTOCK – Emails and Notifications” plugin?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

That is correct 🙂

Profile photo of MojoD
    MojoD
    Participant

Hi Leo and co. and thanks for your very much appreciated support! 😀

I did as mentioned above:

1. Deactivated and then deleted the Symbiostock emailer plugin
    2. Switched to a WordPress theme
    3. Reactivated my child-theme
    4. The message shows in my dashboard to install the emailer plugin and reactivate the cart plugin. I did so.

Results (as it was before):

1. A user how registers correctly (with an accepted username, email address and password)

1.1 will see the green ‚Registration OK’ bar on top of my symbiostock site with the link to the customer area. The user is now logged in and can/could complete a purchase.
    1.2 I receive an email with the users chosen login name and email address.
    1.3 The user receives an email with his/her chosen login name and his/her chosen password.
    1.4 The chosen password works fine to log in.
    1.5 User happy

2. A user how’s first attempt to register goes wrong because:
    – he/she either uses an already registered email address
    – a username already taken
    – uses characters like +“*ç%%&( in the username (these letters work for the password)
    – …?

2.1 will be taken to the official WP login page: [/wp-login.php?action=register] with an error message.
    2.2 can/will now fix the error mentioned in the message
    2.3 if done correctly will be redirected to my symbiostock website and
    2.4 will see the green ‚Registration OK’ bar on top of my symbiostock site with the link to the customer area. The user is now logged in and can/could complete a purchase.
    2.5 I receive an email with the users chosen login name and email address.
    2.6 The user receives an email with his/her chosen login name and randomly generated password.
    2.7 Neither the chosen password or the generated password work to log in.
    2.8 User probably not happy

I tried also to hit the back button on my browser (only tried Safari on Mac) and adjust the error in the symbiostock register/login page, but alas I am sent to the WP login page with the message: „Please make sure both javascript and cookies are enabled in your browser.
    Use the back button to try again…“

I’ll continue doing some test with „ss_password_1“ and „wp_generate_password“ until anyone else can solve this. 😉 Heads up everybody!!!

Profile photo of pling
    pling
    Participant

I followed all steps and did a normal registration test, everything is fine, i received email with my chosen password.

But when I try register using exiting username I am being redirect to the default wordpress login page without custom password field together with an error message said “this username is already registered, please choose another one”, then I entered new username and press submit again, I received another error message said ” this email is already registered, please choose another one”, which is the email that i use at my first attempt and did not register through.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 78 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.