Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

@leo wrote:

In the last few days people have been mentioning that registration is a little funky for some people.

First, do these checks:

1. Upgrade WordPress to the latest version.
    2. Upgrade ALL plugins.
    3. Turn the Symbiostock theme OFF
    4. Turn premium plugin OFF and remove the emailer plugin *important*
    5. Reactivate the theme, and the emailer plugin should be updated.

Now try signing up with a test account via the usual way.

Toggling your theme simply ensures (in case you’ve missed it) that the latest email plugin for Symbio is installed.

I noticed a small hickup in my own registration process, the password not registering properly, but since doing the above it works for me.

Please do the same and let me know via the pole above where you stand.

Leo

User registration used to work fine, but I’ve discovered it is now broken, so I am assuming it is since the last update.

When the user registration pops up, it says “password does not match” on the button even though nothing has been entered into the fields, and a note at the bottom that says *a password will be emailed to you. If you put in matching passwords, the button changes to “create account”, but it still emails a random password to the user!

This is one thing many customers find extremely annoying, to not be able to use their preferred password, but rather be forced to use a randomly generated one. It makes them not want to (or be able to) come back. And I’ve found no way for them to edit their profile, to change their password.
    ADDENDUM: I have just discovered that the emailed random password does NOT work, but the customer-entered one does. Even more confusing.

I had just the day before discovering this enabled the WP Supercache plugin, and thought that the form was being served from the cache and that that was the problem, but the problem persists even though I’ve disabled the plugin and deleted the supercache.

Solutions?

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’m on the most recent release (at least I updated about 7 days ago). I just tried now with a new user ID – selected an image to buy, got the pop up screen asking me to create an account, created a new one with my own password and moved to buy and download the image. Everything worked OK for me on this. I’m on Symbio 3.3.4 and on WP 3.8.3. Nothing special about my site – I have the Pro plugin installed and Supercache activated (although I exclude the customer file area as instructed.

STeve

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Simply “toggle” the theme. Turn it off then on again. It should run the installer which will update your emailer plugin script.

Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Simply “toggle” the theme. Turn it off then on again. It should run the installer which will update your emailer plugin script.

Mine says that a password will be e-mailed also. But, it will let you register just fine with the made up password. Yes, I already “toggled” the theme.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I’ve been busy on projects.

Is this a problem everyone is having? Its possible something could have broke since last update. Please chime in.

Leo

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

It has been like this for some time and there is another thread on it somewhere I think.

I just add a not to my welcome email to tell any new registered members to ignore the generated password they get and use their chosen one

Other thread about this viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1011&p=12510&hilit=password#p12510

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of MojoD
    MojoD
    Participant

The message „*A password will be emailed to you.“shows on the registration pop up window (which I could set in CSS on „display: none“ actually). The password that is sent in the e-mail is the same as the chosen one, so the correct one. I have SYS version 3.3.4 if that helps.

Profile photo of RuthBlack
    RuthBlack
    Participant

I’m on version 3.3.4 and registration is working fine. Although the registration page still says “a password will be emailed to you” it sends the password picked by the new user.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Strange, I still get a generation one on my site but my chosen one on your site. I will just leave the note in case any customers register

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Same here, I finally have a buyer again and now I probably lost the sale because of this issue. This needs to be fixed ASAP as this is pivotal to selling images.

This needs to be addressed yesterday.

Thanks.

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

Here are the explanations of my customer

Ronald Semmick,

Thank you very much for your reply and for offering a discount on your print image.

I am having difficulty using the password login to purchase these via your website.

Thanks,

Hi Ronald,

I wasn’t able to login. It would not accept the password provided. I have requested a new password and will try that as soon I receive it.

Thank you,

Please send confirmation email.

This is the third email that takes me back to the same login an request for a reset. The original password sent to me does not work. It is rejected and I cannot access the site to purchase photos. Please advise or correct this problem.

This password is repeatedly rejected and the reset process does not lead to a password. I cannot login to the site. Please help.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I did some testing and these are my results:

On my site, running 3.3.4, Firefox browser, PC Windows 7

Registered with a test account. On the registration screen is the “*a password will be mailed to you” message.
    Registered and was taken to the home page with a message saying Registration was Successful – your cart area is here.
    Received e-mail about 6 minutes later with the welcome letter (sent to my gmail account) with my chosen password.

Registered on Semmickphoto.com with a test account.
    Exact same results – successful registration, took me to the home page with the same message and link to cart page
    Received e-mail with my chosen password about 5 minutes or less later.

Ron – feel free to delete my test account – Karen Testing

On a side note, I believe we have the ability as admins on our own site to go to the user and create a new password for them if they are getting an auto-generated account that is not working. Just go to edit their profile and give them a new password. This might have been a solution for the problem your buyer was having with the auto-generated passwords.

I could not find any way to get to the manually get to my Profile page when logged in as a Subscriber if I wanted to change my password, but somehow ended up there by default one time, on the user’s profile page.

It seems like whatever page you were on when you logged out of an account is where it takes you back to. I had been looking at the User Profiles in my own administrator account, logged out, then logged back in as my Test Subscriber account and it took me to that profile page, subscriber version.

Is there any way to link to that as a subscriber, to offer them a way to change passwords if they want to?

Profile photo of MojoD
    MojoD
    Participant

I did some tests, too with different browsers on Mac – Safari, Firefox and Chrome – all the latest versions. SYS 3.3.4. I also cleared caches and reset browsers for every test and used different e-mail addresses.

What I found out is:

– for all 3 browsers the same results.

– when I create a user with a correct user name and password all goes well and i get an e-mail with my chosen password and I can login.

– when something goes wrong at the registration process, like:
    – – try to register with an e-mail already registered,
    – – browser set on cookies „not-allowed“,
    – – user name contains special characters,
    a new window opens with the error message and your chosen login data, that you can now correct.

– after correction and registration, every time and on every browser, the registration e-mail contains a generated password.

– neither the generated password or the chosen one do work to login.

I hope my english is understandable and these tests may be of any help for solving this issue.

David

SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I was afraid this would happen when Leo announced his retirement. There is obviously a serious bug, and I hope it will be fixed today. It cant be that I am running an unsupported piece of software.

Whats the word on this? Is Symbiostock abandoned? Or will it be a supported piece of software? Please be honest about this, so I can make an informed decision about the future of my site.

Thanks.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

In the last few days people have been mentioning that registration is a little funky for some people.

First, do these checks:

1. Upgrade WordPress to the latest version.
    2. Upgrade ALL plugins.
    3. Turn the Symbiostock theme OFF
    4. Turn premium plugin OFF and remove the emailer plugin *important*
    5. Reactivate the theme, and the emailer plugin should be updated.

Now try signing up with a test account via the usual way.

Toggling your theme simply ensures (in case you’ve missed it) that the latest email plugin for Symbio is installed.

I noticed a small hickup in my own registration process, the password not registering properly, but since doing the above it works for me.

Please do the same and let me know via the pole above where you stand.

Leo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 78 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.