Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Symbiostock is NOT abandoned! Not by a long shot.

Helloooooo do you see the penguin above? If there is a penguin, there is hope. Even if its a little penguin, its a little hope.

I’m not getting a clear signal from you guys. I just upgraded WordPress and my plugins — did a registration, and everything went great! However, just before that it was not so great. I’m not sure what the intermediate problem was. I read this thread a few times – I can’t see if this is a shared problem (based on the latest version)

I’ll make a little pole for you guys … viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1455

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

a few days early for a little may pole…..

I’ve got multiple sites with 3.3.4 running and all have been getting registrations

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@semmickphoto wrote:

I was afraid this would happen when Leo announced his retirement. There is obviously a serious bug, and I hope it will be fixed today. It cant be that I am running an unsupported piece of software.

Whats the word on this? Is Symbiostock abandoned? Or will it be a supported piece of software? Please be honest about this, so I can make an informed decision about the future of my site.

Thanks.

a software problem can’t be fixed until it can be replicated,

until the latest report (thanks for the testing MojoD!) there was nothing to go on — your site had problems, all the others were working fine

now, if leo can reproduce the problem, he’ll have a way to know if it’s fixed.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I created a new registration on my site and bought an image. All worked fine. I’ve completed the poll.

STeve

Profile photo of shotupdave
    shotupdave
    Participant

@leo wrote:

In the last few days people have been mentioning that registration is a little funky for some people.

First, do these checks:

1. Upgrade WordPress to the latest version.
    2. Upgrade ALL plugins.
    3. Toggle your theme (meaning, deactivate/activate by turning on another theme then switching back)

Toggling your theme simply ensures (in case you’ve missed it) that the latest email plugin for Symbio is installed.

I noticed a small hickup in my own registration process, the password not registering properly, but since doing the above it works for me.

Please do the same and let me know via the pole above where you stand.

Leo

The password is still not working,

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

After a few results and people replying, I’ll give a number of sites a look to find a common cause. Thanks for waiting.

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Yes, can register fine, but the password that is emailed is totally different to what is entered.

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

I am not the only one with problems, if you read this thread multiple people have problems and the problems have been explained in detail.

I am shocked to see the replies here telling me its my problem and that there is nothing wrong with symbiostock. The way criticism of symbiostock is addressed is not healthy.

And if its my problem only, I cant fix it, so I am now stuck with a broken site. What options does that leave me?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@thp wrote:

Yes, can register fine, but the password that is emailed is totally different to what is entered.

Thanks. Comments like these will help me widdle it down. If we are all on wp 3.9 and upgraded then it will be easier to narrow it down to the cause.

Just to clarify don’t click “YES” on the pole if you get a different pass in email than you registered with.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

David (MojoD) may have found part of the pattern the other day when he mentioned about not getting the registration correct first time. When I last tested my site (latest WP, Symbiostock, plugins, toggling) I used an already registered username and had to choose another one, then got the automated password. Maybe it is a secondary registration screen (if there is such a thing?)

Edited to add his post

I did some tests, too with different browsers on Mac – Safari, Firefox and Chrome – all the latest versions. SYS 3.3.4. I also cleared caches and reset browsers for every test and used different e-mail addresses.

What I found out is:

– for all 3 browsers the same results.

– when I create a user with a correct user name and password all goes well and i get an e-mail with my chosen password and I can login.

– when something goes wrong at the registration process, like:
    – – try to register with an e-mail already registered,
    – – browser set on cookies „not-allowed“,
    – – user name contains special characters,
    a new window opens with the error message and your chosen login data, that you can now correct.

– after correction and registration, every time and on every browser, the registration e-mail contains a generated password.

– neither the generated password or the chosen one do work to login.

I hope my english is understandable and these tests may be of any help for solving this issue.

David

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Ron, you seem to be exaggerating somewhat again. 🙂

1.Leo never said he was retiring

2, Your site is not broken! There is just a minor hiccup with the registration process and all you had to do was do what I did and add a note to the welcome email that gets sent out telling new potential clients to use their chosen password, not the automatically generated one. No histronics or dramatics just a simple workaround.

I am currently setting up another webstore (not stock) and the product support for the theme I have bought for that is nowhere near as good as we get here, in fact I am trying to get a refund on it!

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Ron, I also don’t understand why you say your site is broken. You didn’t seem to acknowledge that I was able to register on your site and received an email with my chosen password. Everything worked fine.

You’ve provided no information about the versions of WP, Symbiostock, etc that were involved, just a string of useless emails between you and the user, making it hard for anyone to help troubleshoot or replicated the problem your buyer experienced .

One glitch does not mean the sky is falling. It means that you, as the webmaster of your site, need to take some steps to fix it. A quick solution you could have tried for your buyer was to go into his registered account and give him a password. You have the ability to change them. Just do that and email him a password to use. That may have avoided the whole problem for that buyer. The longer term solution is to reach out to the forum with details of your set up such as system, browser, versions of WP and Symbiostock, plugins, etc. lots of people, including Leo, are here to help but they need info to work out the cause before they can help you implement a solution.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Ron

I just registered on your site as well – nothing went wrong. I chose an image, got the registration popup, created my name and password and went on to add my image to a shopping cart. I didn’t buy – sorry.

I got my email from your site. It included the name and password I had chosen.

I’m using Chrome on Windows 7 if that helps pin down the issue.

Steve

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I did some further testing, using my registration on Ron’s site, and had the same experience David related.

Initial registration worked fine yesterday and I was able to log in again today with no problem.

Tried registering as a new user with the same e-mail address and got the error message screen. This screen does not give you the option to choose a password.

Entered an alternate e-mail address on the small screen and was logged in Ron’s site. Also received an e-mail with auto-generated password. When I logged out and then logged back in I could not get in with either my chosen password or the auto-generated password.

Seems like the Error registration screen is causing the problem. The user and e-mail address are captured but the auto-generated passwords are not recognized and the chosen one was not registered either.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I did some further testing on Ron’s site and posted my results over in Leo’s thread with the poll.

If my registration fails for some reason (such as using an e-mail address that was already used or registrant’s browser not allowing cookies) it takes me to the Error Message registration screen. When you try to use that screen it is sending the auto-generated password but WP doesn’t recognize it when you try to log in. WP also did not capture the user-chosen password when it sent them to the error screen so neither password is working. David did extensive testing on his site too and found problems relating to this secondary registration screen that you get with registration errors.

Ron – if you want to try some further testing, please go to your Users screen and try these two options:
    1.) Go to my Karen Testing2 profile. There is an option to change the password. Create a new password for me and e-mail that to me.
    2.) Go to my Karen Testing3 profile. Delete that user and let me know it’s been deleted and to try re-registering again.

This may help determine a course of action that will give an immediate solution for a buyer with registration issues while a permanent fix is found. If this works you can immediately respond to the buyer with a new password, or let them know you’ve cleared their profile and they should try registering again but to make sure their browser allows cookies.

Edited to add: On my Karen Testing2 profile I selected the option to Reset Password. I followed the link in the e-mail which took me to a screen to enter a new password. Entered the password and it logged me into my profile page on Ron’s site where I could change the password again, add to my user profile, etc. In the upper left was the link to Ron’s page.

I’m starting to suspect that two issues are at play here – one with the secondary registration screen you get if there are problems with the initial registration, and a second, perhaps cookie related, that is messing with the passwords and may have caused problems with Ron’s buyer if his cookie security was blocking passwords.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 78 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.