Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Videoopp
    Videoopp
    Participant

Can you help me understand the video player and how it is customized.  I have tried making changes to symbiostock-video.php, video-js.css and CSS overrides to .ss_videoplayer, vjs-default-skin, and .video-js and nothing seems to change the settings.  I would like to be able to have the video preview auto play.

Thanks

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I’ll have to look into it, however we are using VIDEOJS. You can easily override pretty much everything you want with that knowledge. One thing is although we include the videoJS source, currently it is being sourced from a CDN server not the files on your install.

Videoopp
    Participant

Ahh … that would explain why I was not able to even change the size of the Big Play button.. So it is CDN, just for the player right, not the previews.  Those are still being played from my server, right?

I realize that you are probably not getting a lot of interest in your video plugin and it may be hard to justify spending too much time on it, but i would really like to see it separated out more from the still image side, with it’s own admin panel.

I would even appreciate the opportunity to have the choice of making my own thumbs and previews, and the option to use my own customized skins with jwplayer, (which is now free) I believe that the quality is better with mp4 previews at the same bitrate than flash, and people can view them on their iPads.  I know I could probably do that one by one in each product page, but i would rather have that automated to a script so i can upload them in bulk using FTP.

By the way, what flavor are these “flv” videos?  Who is encoding them for you?  I get error messages if I try and open them on my desktop using the latest CC versions of Adobe Flash professional or or Media Encoder.  The meta data for them are all wiped out in Windows Properties.  I can’t analyze frame rate, bit-rate, or frame width and height.  Perhaps the next release of the video plugin could at least give us some options on these settings going out to the service that you are using to make these.  An option to change the number of thumbs it creates for each clip would also be good.  I have about 5000 video clips to upload and that is really going to fill up my media bin with a lot of unused thumbs!

Thanks

Frank

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Good suggestions – and no, we’re not compromising on the video plugin at all. It’s very important, however we have to gauge how much time goes where because this entire project is very large.

As I said, the video player needs to be changed so that it plays MP4s, and this will be implemented once we have the chance to do so. However, right now it functions without much hassle and looks great, so additional functionalities are not critical to its working, but are definitely desirable.

Videoopp
    Participant

In Crome, I  have to click three separate play buttons to play a video preview.  Can we not just set this to auto play? This seems to be industry standard.  http://worldviewstock.com/product/shelling-beans/

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey there – one thing you can do is find the desired open source player yourself and test it out to ensure it is:

1) Playable on all devices
    2) Resizes to fit the dimensions of the video
    3) Scales properly on different devices
    4) Plays MP4s without delay
    5) Provides options such as auto-play

If you locate this player, and then test it out on your own end with a sample MP4 and are convinced it would work good, send over the link and/or code and that will make it a lot easier for us to implement it. Otherwise we have to do all of the above ourselves, and as I’ve said already, we will get to things when we can, and video is a high priority, but not the highest right now.

Videoopp
    Participant

Sure, I can spend some time on that.  In the meantime, the current player is capable of auto-play, but the way it is currently set up with the settings that you have made with the CDN player, I cant seem to make any adjustments to the player.

Can you PM me on the current method of processing previews?  Is this done by video-js as well?  I would like to start first with that process and see what options are open to the user for settings on that.  I am not sure jwplayer, or other players would play these flv videos.

Perhaps if the current settings were just set to auto-play, the delay would not be as noticeable for mp4 videos?  How bad is it?

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Hebstreit
    Hebstreit
    Participant

Hi Videoopp,

my understanding is, flv-media will be disabled for autoplay by the browser-plugin as a standard.

A mp4-player would be great, but you can place an animated gif as loop in the product feature box. this also works with the player preview.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

FYI, with the next release of Symbiostock, the Video plugin will switch to MP4 media files and the video player will be upgraded to look and operate better. You won’t have to do anything and Symbiostock will re-code your videos for you.

Profile photo of Hebstreit
    Hebstreit
    Participant

if i had to wish, the video-export for youtube and / or an individual mpg-bitrate for encryption would be nice to have. 🙂

Videoopp
    Participant

Hey The Update sounds good, any ETA?  I would like to release my site to Symzio and start promoting it in other ways but the current video player is just too much of a problem.  In Chrome it requires people to click three play buttons before the preview will play.  In Explorer the video displays in the player with the video pushed down about 20%.

At the moment the site is mostly video clips and I just can’t release it or promote it without a better video player.

worldviewstock.com

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

We’re hoping to get 3.0 and the video update released at the same time as the hosting solution (or before it). Hopefully this week.

Videoopp
    Participant

Have you started the process of re-coding videos?  I keep getting tons of error messages such as ” Failed to find original media: ss_29131.mp4, product ID: 29131″

worldviewstock.com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.