Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I know I am contrary but I do not think giving images away gains anything other than possibly a lost sale if someone really wants the image but is prepared to settle for a smaller size and get it free

I have offered free image to particular people for backlinks/promotional purposes but not a free for all for anyone

Shall I stay off this thread, I seem to be being a bit negative today 😀

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Count me in as one willing to participate in a FB group for SYS. I’ve not been very good about keeping my personal FB page current, but I can pitch in with a group site. It might even motivate me to do more on my personal page, and that could help SYS too.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Ok…I tried a group, and a group requires that I invite friends, which means I’d have to friend people on my personal page, and then we would all have to join from our personal Facebook pages, not our business pages….unless I’m missing something? Groups members also have to be approved to join.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I think the Page option is the appropriate way to go. Click “like” and you start getting the posts in your news feed.

The group option is more closed and private and our goal is to get the word out. With a group we would either need to invite someone to join via e-mail or wait for them to find us, request to join, and wait for the moderator to approve the request.

I agree that groups create a sense of belonging (I belong to a group from the town I grew up in and it’s great for that) but the process for joining is kind of like having to register on our Symbio sites. We want to eliminate the registration and let people join up just by “liking” the page.

We should have a couple of mangers for the page that can manage roles, in case one person drops out there will be others available with full access. We can also have several in the role of content creator that can add new info and topics, and have several as moderators. This link explains what each can do. https://www.facebook.com/help/323502271070625

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’m not a group admin but I know that groups can be set up as ‘open’. All you have to do as a visitor is click “join group” and you’re in.
    It’s probably just a privacy setting to tick.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

I’m not a group admin but I know that groups can be set up as ‘open’. All you have to do as a visitor is click “join group” and you’re in.
    It’s probably just a privacy setting to tick.

You’re probably right about that but I’ve only been part of closed groups.

I still think we should consider a page instead of a group though as you get access to the page insights that show visits, clicks, etc. It lets you put a header on the page too and other touches to make it look like a commercial endeavor. When I visit the groups I’m part of it’s just an endless news feed. Although that could be the way it’s set up too.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

Ok…I tried a group, and a group requires that I invite friends, which means I’d have to friend people on my personal page, and then we would all have to join from our personal Facebook pages, not our business pages….unless I’m missing something? Groups members also have to be approved to join.

I just tried searching for the group and it’s not showing up when I search Symbiostock. Is it set to private?

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

@christine wrote:

I know I am contrary but I do not think giving images away gains anything other than possibly a lost sale if someone really wants the image but is prepared to settle for a smaller size and get it free

I have offered free image to particular people for backlinks/promotional purposes but not a free for all for anyone

Shall I stay off this thread, I seem to be being a bit negative today 😀

I always value your opinion. We need to be challenged in our thinking before making a decision.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@klsbear wrote:

@shelma1 wrote:

I just tried searching for the group and it’s not showing up when I search Symbiostock. Is it set to private?

I was unable to set it up, because to do so you must invite personal Facebook friends.

Profile photo of David
    David
    Participant

@klsbear wrote:

I think the Page option is the appropriate way to go. Click “like” and you start getting the posts in your news feed.

The group option is more closed and private and our goal is to get the word out. With a group we would either need to invite someone to join via e-mail or wait for them to find us, request to join, and wait for the moderator to approve the request.

I agree that groups create a sense of belonging (I belong to a group from the town I grew up in and it’s great for that) but the process for joining is kind of like having to register on our Symbio sites. We want to eliminate the registration and let people join up just by “liking” the page.

We should have a couple of mangers for the page that can manage roles, in case one person drops out there will be others available with full access. We can also have several in the role of content creator that can add new info and topics, and have several as moderators. This link explains what each can do. https://www.facebook.com/help/323502271070625

+1

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

OK, I started the page. I need the Symbiostock logo, and if people will donate a photo or illustration, I can slice them up and create a header image.

But I’m gonna stop posting here if I have to answer 3 questions every time I post.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Here’s where Leo posted a link to all the Symbiostock branding stuff

http://www.symbiostock.org/post/4946/#p4946

And I had asked him ages ago if it was OK if I modified it to make a monochrome version for my site and he was OK with that, so I think that small variations of that sort are fine to make it work better for a particular purpose.

I’m happy to donate thumbnails of anything of mine to give away – they can be lifted by anyone anytime so I don’t see this as a negative (I understand Christine’s view but I think she’s further along the spectrum than I am of what we sell vs. what we give away).

If you want anything of mine to slice up as part of a header, just let me know the image number and I’ll e-mail it to you or stick it in my Dropbox folder.

We should have some Twitter hashtags we use for any giveaways or other stuff on FB and I’m happy to tweet about it (I should note that I don’t use Twitter much and if there’s someone who’s got a bazillion followers, they’d be better than me :))

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’ll happily donate an image for inclusion in the header if you let me know which one.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

I’ll also happily donate an image. Let me know if there’s any particular critter, color, or scene that might work best.

Or… I’ll just send you a selection and you can pick! Let me know if that’s what you prefer.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

OK, I’ve just put up the bug and a bad jpg of the logo right now. I can’t access most of the files in Leo’s link…I get an error message about a blob or something. Please like:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Symbiostock/466435486810556#

If anyone would like to be an admin, let me know. I don’t want to be responsible for the whole effort.

If you’d like to send some photos or illustrations my way, try my new email: theartist@vector999.com. They don’t have to be large…I just want to put a bunch together for the page header. I’ll probably crop them a lot so they’re “unstealable.” I’d also like an eps of the Symbio logo, if someone has it, which I can’t access through github.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.