Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@marthamarks wrote:

Jo, I have the “Pinterest block” plugin active on my site. Exact opposite direction as you.

Blocking Pinterest may or may not be smart, I don’t know. But I do know I haven’t wanted to be involved with Pinterest at all.

Now, if they change their rules/policies, that might make a difference to me. Will you keep us posted on that?

I can certainly do that. 🙂

It’s just a thought I had in my head for now. I don’t even know what they have changed on the policies. I just read the article with half (p)interest in one of my newsletters. I do have some of my articles and images on Pinterest and they currently link back to my Public Facebook page. Can’t say how effective it could be but I’ve had a few repins. I also haven’t put much effort into it since first trying it out.

I would think you could STILL run a Pinterest block AND use it for promotion. I assume that the block prevents people from selecting an image from SymbioStock and using it on Pinterest?

So you could still block them from doing that but allow your OWN upload to go through and link back. It’s a bit like a one way street to your site and not away from.

Ho

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Anyone thought of an open but moderated “Group” on Facebook yet? With a mod posting one or a few really striking images of the Symbiostock (hand picked, not per automated members queue) network a day and encouraging discussions etc.? The image of course including watermark and source to buy it.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

Anyone thought of an open but moderated “Group” on Facebook yet? With a mod posting one or a few really striking images of the Symbiostock (hand picked, not per automated members queue) network a day and encouraging discussions etc.? The image of course including watermark and source to buy it.

I actually suggested that a few weeks back, but it was not well received. My attempt to offer helpful info about my own Facebook ad campaign was also pretty much ignored and quickly devolved into a Facebook hatefest.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I believe Facebook is probably the strongest of all social networks and therefore a good platform for community based publicity.

The “liking each other’s Facebook page” won’t do a lot for Symbiostock. A well organized “group” with interesting content, not just a collection of links like on Twitter, but striking images and discussions about what Symbiostock is about, might help a lot to spread the word.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Not this moderator I am afraid – I dislike Facebook almost as much as Pinterest, although if someone can prove it brings in buyers I may reconsider.

If someone wants to set up a Symbiostock Facebook page I cannot see any problems – just ask before posting anyone’s image on it as not everyone may want them posted there. Might be an idea to have at least a couple of Admins on it so that if one loses interest there is another to take over?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Jan
    Jan
    Participant

I sometimes have the feeling that I am shooting with big, big cannon on fleas. Not a native English speaker 🙂

I have been selling via agencies too long and now I hardly know who my clients are and that’s a bad thing!! That’s the first thing I should know if I start a Symbiostock business. Where can I find them online? On Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Linkedin, Pininterest, YouTube,….? If I know the names I can follow, join, invite them.

I am very honest here, I don’t know the buyers names. Do you?
    It would be great to pull their attention, individually or as a team, instead of shooting in the wild (Not a native English speaker 🙂 )

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

The question would be to go with a ‘page’ or a ‘group’.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/facebook/facebook-tips-whats-the-difference-between-a-facebook-page-and-group/324706977130

And of course, who can be admin/mod and drive good content to it?

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

I believe Facebook is probably the strongest of all social networks and therefore a good platform for community based publicity.

The “liking each other’s Facebook page” won’t do a lot for Symbiostock. A well organized “group” with interesting content, not just a collection of links like on Twitter, but striking images and discussions about what Symbiostock is about, might help a lot to spread the word.

I agree. In addition, with Facebook you can promote your posts and advertise to specific groups…art directors and designers, for example. Maybe people who are interested can get together and start a page. But we’d need donations if we were going to do paid promotions.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

@redneck wrote:

I agree. In addition, with Facebook you can promote your posts and advertise to specific groups…art directors and designers, for example. Maybe people who are interested can get together and start a page. But we’d need donations if we were going to do paid promotions.

I wouldn’t start paid advertising. Let’s get 50 to 100 SYS members posting at discussing interesting content and at some point it will get its own momentum. I’ve seen this with other groups before (a boudoir photography group went from 20-ish to almost 4000 within a few weeks).
    I’m thinking a “group” is probably the better way to go since it enhances a community feeling instead of a head organization.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Ok. I’m happy to start a group, if it’s ok with Leo.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’m sure Leo doesn’t mind to spread the word about Symbiostock.

When you’ve set something up, let us all know so we can join the group, post content and share it on our pages and timelines.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I think a page makes more sense. Here’s info from Facebook. Let me now what you think:

Pages allow real organizations, businesses, celebrities and brands to communicate broadly with people who like them. Pages may only be created and managed by official representatives.

Groups provide a closed space for small groups of people to communicate about shared interests. Groups can be created by anyone.

Other differences include:

Pages
    Privacy: Page information and posts are public and generally available to everyone on Facebook.
    Audience: Anyone can like a Page to become connected with it and get News Feed updates. There is no limit to how many people can like a Page.
    Communication: Page admins can share posts under the Page’s name. Page posts appear in the feeds of people who like the Page and their friends. Page admins can also create customized apps for their Pages and check Page Insights to track the Page’s growth and activity.
    Groups

Privacy: In addition to an open setting, more privacy settings are available for groups. In secret and closed groups, posts are only visible to group members.
    Audience: Group members must be approved or added by other members. When a group reaches a certain size, some features are limited. The most useful groups tend to be the ones you create with small groups of people you know.
    Communication: In groups, members receive notifications by default when any member posts in the group. Group members can participate in chats, upload photos to shared albums, collaborate on group docs and invite members who are friends to group events.
    Depending on your needs, you can easily create a Page or create a group.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’d still be in favor of groups. I think it’s important that participants rather feel like being a part of it not just a fan.

But I’m not an expert. I do manage several pages and I know how hard it is to get lots of likers. I don’t manage a group but it appeals to me that it seems to be more ‘community spirit” driven.
    And I actually think Symbiostock is more of a community than a head organization.

But again, most important is that something is being done. If it’s successful or not – time will tell. Whatever you choose, I’ll support it.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

@redneck wrote:

I wouldn’t start paid advertising. Let’s get 50 to 100 SYS members posting at discussing interesting content and at some point it will get its own momentum. I’ve seen this with other groups before (a boudoir photography group went from 20-ish to almost 4000 within a few weeks).

I just cannot imagine why 🙂

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

i’ll help with any facebook effort

in addition, I’ve mentioned before the idea of using free thumbnails as promotional items – let anyone copy the thumbnail/link to use on their site. they can actually do this anyway, but we can thenget ;people to ou sites looking for free small images and upsell to blogger or larger sized images. the advantage here is that people following these links will actually e looking for images, rather than just informational content

ionce several people have joined in, I can add flags to the global http://symbiostock-seach.com. users would get an html snippet they can cut & paste, with a message such as “This free image provided by XXXX” and of course, a direct link

ifnothing else, it will get your images more backlinks, and start to push against themicros in SEO results

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.