Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

As outlined in the Symbiostock 2.0 rollout thread, due to the incompatibility between Symbiostock Express 2.0 and Symbiostock Express 1.0, we are releasing Symbiostock Express 1.0.6. This version serves as an interim compatibility update that will allow your site to work with Symbiostock 2.0 with little issue until you are able to port everything over to Symbiostock Express 2.0.

Please note that Symbiostock Express 2.0 will not be publicly released as an automatic update in order to give people time to acclamate their sites to it, and to prevent incidental upgrades from breaking live sites. If you have already purchased Symbiostock Express and are running on 1.0 and want to get your hands on 2.0 so you can work on it, just PM me and I will get you a free download.

All new customers who purchase Symbiostock Express now will receive 2.0 and can ignore everything in this post.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

Hi, I’ve just updates Sybiostock Express to 1.0.6 and the layout in the product details changed. There used to be a list of licences with resolution and price, now there is a dropdown. How can I get it back to to the list, I didn’t find any settings. Here are some screenshots to explain it:

Used to be: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r86hbc4udij0num/old.png?dl=0

After Update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzg09fot8ep9k0w/new.png?dl=0

Where can I download the verison 1.0.4 or how do I get Symbiostock 2.0?

Thanks

Mark

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

That should not be happening. Please PM me your login info and I will take a look at it.

Profile photo of Mark
    Mark
    Participant

How can I send you PM?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Click on my name/icon and then click on Send Private Message

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Confirmed this will happen until you upgrade to Symbiostock 2.0. It will be released shortly (next few hours)

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Can you just expand a bit on how to upgrade from old Symbio and old Express to version 2 of each? I saw the post that talked about putting the updated theme as a renamed copy and slowly migrating to that new theme, but I’m not sure I understand that. I can see how I can download a new theme, but I thought I could only customize it when it was live? How do you do a slow migration?

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Well, you’re right about that – you can only really run it and customize it when it is live. But I suppose there are a couple of things you can do:

1) Run it on a test install to get all the settings right, then export those settings to the live server.

2) Run it on the same install, but in a different directory. Then, whenever you feel you want to work on it, activate that theme and configure it, then revert back when you’re done so that at least most of the time your site is looking the way you want.

There is not yet an awesome way of doing it, and again, I realize the inconvenience, but for future long term upgrades and updates this is going to make it a lot easier to add tweaks and fixes to it.

I think the main point I was trying to make is that you don’t need to upgrade to Symbiostock Express 2.0 for any particular reason. It looks pretty similar, and has a few fixes here and there, but other than that it’s mostly an internal switch to more standardized code. So although you should do it at some point, don’t feel pressured.

This is another situation where I would suggest contacting Henri if you want to know, because he’s already done it as far as I understand it, so he may have tips on how to do it as painlessly as possible.

Profile photo of Henri
    Henri
    Participant

Here is how I updated the theme and the plugin:
    1. I made backup copies of files and database
    2. Symbiostock Express > Import / Export > Copy data – I saved it as txt file
    3. I deactivated and deleted Symbiostock express theme
    4. Installed Symbiostock 2 and Woocommerce 2.4.6
    5. Installed Symbiostock express theme 2.0
    6. Activated theme
    7. Symbiostock Express > Import / Export > Import from file – I pasted the data which was copied on step 2
    8. Done!

Hope this helps!

Henri

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Thanks Henri

I wish I had read this just a few minutes earlier. I decided to just update the Symbiostock plugin and that worked fine, but my site now shows this error and moving about the admin site gives me the same. Do I need to update Woocommerce to make Symbio 2 work?

<b style=”color: #000000; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”>Fatal error</b><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”>: Cannot redeclare woo_remove_billing_checkout_fields() (previously declared in /home/backya28/public_html/bsp/wp-content/themes/symbiostock-express/functions.php:78) in </span><b style=”color: #000000; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”>/home/backya28/public_html/bsp/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/front-product-page.php</b><span style=”color: #000000; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”> on line</span><b style=”color: #000000; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’; font-size: medium; line-height: normal;”>227</b>

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Phew – Good job I had taken a backup before I did the upgrade. I was able to just upload the old Symbiostock plugin back into the site using FTP and the site came back to life.

So does the version 2 need to have the update Woocommerce to make it work?

Steve

Profile photo of Henri
    Henri
    Participant
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Thanks Henri – this helped a lot!! I followed your instructions (just one step you missed – the need to update the WooCommerce database once that plugin updates), but the site updated and so far everything looks normal.

Now to see what is new!

Steve

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Steve: As I just emailed you, that issue was happening because of your custom function that simplified the checkout fields. Oddly, the same implementation that is now built into Symbiostock 2.0 uses the same function name.

Henri: Thanks for that – I will be using your instructions to update my own site. 🙂

Profile photo of antony
    antony
    Participant

Big round of applause for Henri,

Just updated to Symbiostock Express V2 from V1 and quite painlessly thanks to Henri’s simple but effective technique.

I updated Symbiostock Plugin to 2.0 and Woocommerce to 2.4.6 first followed by SSexpress 2 with no incompatibility issues to mention but for a small glitch where I lost footer widgets and had two Revo sliders on the homepage! I think this could have been due to exporting to txt file my Child Theme settings, nevertheless easily remedied.

Now to rectify the Child Theme.

Thanks again Henri and to Robin/Dawn for a seemingly good transition

NomadicImagery

Stock photo | unique travel | documentary | culture | festivals

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.