Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

I wish to change the word ‘License’ to ‘Price’ on the single product page.
    I can see this is created in the ‘single-product’ Woocommerce template.
    However, I cannot see how to alter that specific wording: ‘License’.
    Can you point me in the right direction?

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

I discovered I can change it by unchecking “Personalize Interface” and then I see a new ‘attributes’ item within the Symbiostock section of the WP dashboard. Selecting attributes enables me to edit ‘License’ to ‘Price’.
    Thought I had the answer, but now I cannot edit the licenses.
    Any ideas?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Yes, you should not change that as the whole system relies upon those attributes being called Licenses. You should change that back.

If you post your URL I can assist in doing it on the front end via Javascript or CSS.

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Thanks Robin,
    I made a workaround of sorts by changing the name of attribute ‘License’ to ‘Price’ (but kept the slug the same).
    I’ve also placed a modified Woocommerce variable.php file in my child theme.
    I’m interested in your comment about Javascript and CSS options, I think that’s the preferable option, so any pointers there would be useful, thanks.
    Here’s an example product page: http://www.guygriffithscollection.com/product/73-651-s-j-lawrence-bentley-silverstone-11-07-1953-jpg/
    The site is password protected at the moment while under development; I’ll send the login via pm to you.
    Many thanks,
    Graham

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Graham,

So an easy Javascript solution is similar to what was posted here (follow the same initial instructions):

Rename license

And use this code specific to your site:

jQuery(document).ready(function( $ ){
      	if ($("form.variations_form.cart h4").text() == 'Choose your License') $("form.variations_form.cart h4").text('My New Text');
    });

And just change the text as is necessary. I see you’ve already changed the test to ‘Choose a price option’ but I would say revert everything back to default and just use the javascript solution for less headache.

As for the license prices not updating, that’s another issue and does work on our test sites so either it is just going to take some time on your end or the processor is not running properly or something else could be the issue.

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Many thanks Robin, that’s very helpful.
    I just need to sort out the updating issue now, that’s very frustrating.
    It’s weird, it must be working partially, as some of the products have updated, but most haven’t after 2 days.
    I’m thinking the simplest way round that is to delete all the images and upload them all again (although not a long-term fix as the client will no doubt want to alter prices at some point.)
    Graham

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Graham,
    As long as you have the processor running every minute and it is not timing out due to server limitations, a small number of products should update very quickly. 2 days is too long for about a hundred, and deleting and re-uploading the media is certainly not a good solution. My guess is there is an issue with the way the processor is being run.

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Thanks Robin,
    Before I do anything else, I’ll contact the site hosts to see if they can determine what’s happening with the processing.
    Graham

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Robin,
    I now have some feedback from the hosts; I’ll pm the details to you.
    I’m wondering why there’s such a load on the server just to change prices and/or details of a license.
    At the moment we have 127 images on the site and we’re planning to offer 2000+.
    Should the system ideally be able to handle that many?
    I am anxious that assuming I get over this issue then I will not be able to viably make changes to licenses when there are many more images to process.
    I, and my client, are quite heavily invested in Symbiostock given the amount of time it’s taken to work with it so far.
    I like the product very much — but of course it has to work efficiently to be a viable option for us.
    Should we really be looking to use an alternative?
    Any pointers to getting things running smoothly will be much appreciated, as too is your opinion on whether I’m using the wrong tool for this job and should cut my losses.
    Many thanks,
    Graham

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Graham – thanks for sharing the details of the ticket. Yes, as expected the processor is not completing properly.

The memory limits imposed by your host are not good for media processing – this is not unique to Symbiostock at all, and is a basic requirement of processing images. The price updating feature of the processor does not use much memory at all but if thumbnails need to be regenerated or new images processed, and especially if customer sales images need to be created, you need a reasonable amount of memory. The best suggestion I can make which will guarantee that your client’s site will function without issue is to hop into Symbiostock Hosting which has more than enough dedicated resources to each client so that thousands of images can be hosted without issue:

http://www.symbiostock.com/

Other than that, it just appears as though your current web host specializes in more low key sites and is unlikely to be able to support a media sales website. I also think if you were to find an alternative it is very unlikely it would function on the same host as we have stripped Symbiostock down so the media processing portion is extremely light.

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Thanks Robin,
    If we are short of resources then I’ll need to make better provision. I’ve ordered hosting via Symbiostock, and will set about moving the site over.
    Regards,
    Graham

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Graham,

Yep, that should work much better without issue. You can likely migrate the database and site directly and it should work out of the box. Just make sure to add the processor via cPanel. There are clear instructions here:

http://www.symbiostock.com/setup-installation-guide

to get your Symbiostock site running from start to finish on Symbiostock Hosting, with a perpetual, free SSL certificate if you so wish.

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Thanks Robin,
    I wasn’t expecting a reply at the weekend so thanks for that.
    Yes, I’ll take this opportunity to move to https.
    I’m going to start with a clean install and fresh db, and then upload the pics so everything is clean and tidy.
    I was intending to preview the site so I can get it all working before changing dns.
    For other sites I usually edit my host file to preview, but this seems inoperable, is that method blocked? If so is there another way you can offer to preview before dns changes?
    Regards,
    Graham

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Graham,
    That should work I believe – just make sure the IP you have listed is the correct one. HTTPS cannot be activated as far as I know however while the DNS does not propagate correctly so if you’re trying to demo it on an HTTPS site that may be the problem. Other than that I’m not quite sure.

Profile photo of Graham
    Graham
    Participant

Thanks Robin,
    I removed the https.
    I can preview html files fine, but couldn’t get WordPress to work at all (Internal Server Error 500).
    I removed WordPress and the site will show html files, but no php.
    I’ve uploaded a phpinfo file, but that throws an error too (500), as does any php file I’ve tried so far.
    Any help much appreciated, because until I can get this working, I can’t progress with the site move at all.
    Thanks,
    Graham

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.