Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tdahl-stock
    tdahl-stock
    Participant

@jorodrigues wrote:

Edit: As mentioned before, I made a temporary fix and added a menu item right next to the user name/login called Profile and linked it to…

http://stockyimage.com/wp-admin/profile.php < Put your own site name where mine is.

Thanks for the idea. I did not think of adding the direct link. On my test site I just addded a “Profile” menu item next to “Logout”. I can also just add that link to the email sent to the customer.

Thanks
    Tim

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@tdahl-stock wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I did not think of adding the direct link. On my test site I just addded a “Profile” menu item next to “Logout”. I can also just add that link to the email sent to the customer.

Thanks
    Tim

That is also a very good idea. I need to look at those out going emails. I set them up very quickly two weeks ago and haven’t looked at them again!

Jo

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

This needs to be fixed before I upgrade. Sigh. Now I am stuck on 2.8.7 because I dont want this confusing happening for my buyers.

tdahl-stock
    Participant

For me it was more important for the registration to take the customer directly to the site, so here is how I have taken care of the issue for now.

Added a “Profile” menu item taking the customer directly to their profile page

I then edited the welcome email to include the link to change his password

Ultimately I would rather have the customer set the password at registration though.

-Tim

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I want to be clear on a few things:

1. You should generally be navigating like a customer. The customer is prompted to sign up when he clicks on an image size choice (as its always been) or he can do so from the top login option. Yes?

2. That option (on signup) should drop you right on the page you were visiting, resulting in NO delay in purchase.

That said, I did not put password fields but rather auto-password, making sort of “instant gratification” purchase for the customer. Adding a password/password confirmation field is just another thing to bog down the process.

Assuming I’m not misunderstood, perhaps the wisest choice would be to have a “Change your password” link on the signup email?

Please let me know if I’ve missed anything. I’ve been out all day.

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

I think the wisest choice would be to let the customer create the password/password confirmation during sign up.. it would be less of a hassle than changing it later..

The bar (or a profile page) should be there in case the customer wants to change the password in the future.. they won’t always go back to that email.. Also, what happens if they delete the email? I always delete such password emails for security purposes..

I think there is no need to modify the email at all.. it’s at best a temporary fix.. on my other store “registration to purchase” usually takes 20-30 seconds as the buyer creates the password on sign up..

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

How is a customer going to log back in on a revisit when they dont know their password and how/where change their password?
    I do like Tdahls workaround, but I rather go with Cidepix and have that fixed all together.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I don’t understand. I updated and signed up as a new user. I still got a pop up window that says a password will be emailed to me, but I get no email and no password…instead I’m taken to the cart area. If I sign out I cannot sign in again because I have no password. Very confused.

JoRodrigues
    Participant

I also agree. Let the customer set his or her password right there and then. Most people have a set of passwords they use in this day and age. If they can, they would prefer to use one of those passwords that they will remember even if they delete their email.

Secondly, there needs to be a way to get to the User Profile for them to fill it out if they so wish or to change their passwords etc. I just added in a link to it on my top bar for the meantime.

Jo

JoRodrigues
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

I don’t understand. I updated and signed up as a new user. I still got a pop up window that says a password will be emailed to me, but I get no email and no password…instead I’m taken to the cart area. If I sign out I cannot sign in again because I have no password. Very confused.

Actually, come to think of it, I also didn’t get this email on my testing accounts yesterday. So it appears it’s not currently being sent out.

Jo

tdahl-stock
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

Hi,

The registration works just as it did before. The only difference is you get logged in immediately, as you did, and do not have to wait for the email with the password to login for the first time. There should still be an email sent to the new user with the passsword. If you are not getting that email I would troubleshoot that issue. Maybe it is going into your spam?

tdahl-stock
    Participant

@jorodrigues wrote:

Actually, come to think of it, I also didn’t get this email on my testing accounts yesterday. So it appears it’s not currently being sent out.

Jo

FYI..

I tested with my test site and my live site and got the welcome emails each time, so I know they are going out. At least it is working for me. As seen in my screenshot in an above post in this thread.

-Tim

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

I do get the emails.. but they are late sometimes..

if we don’t let the customer set the password on sign up, and make them dependent on the “late emails” for changing the password again, then really, there is not much point of changing how it previously worked..

for this auto-login to have any sense, we MUST let the customer set the password on sign-up..

Leo, this may be hard to implement.. I am not sure.. but it is “the ideal way”..

JoRodrigues
    Participant

Ok, for info sake I created a new user account through registering and I got an immediate reply via email so it does appear to be working as it should.

Jo

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Ah yes…I finally did get the email, with a long and impossible to remember password. I agree with others….customers must be able to set their own password at registration. Though at least now they can shop right away while waiting for their complicated password. 🙂

And I would like to reiterate how much I appreciate all the hard work everyone is doing on Symbiostock.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.