Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lusoimages
    Lusoimages
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve went through by a strong temporary torment when I saw that not only my website went blank, but worse, I could not even access my administration area. After a chat with the Bluehost support team they gave me a troubleshoot tutorial on how to solve this issue.

There are three situations that can make the screen go blank:

– Conflicting or Corrupted plug-ins

– Insertion of errors in the PHP files when trying to customize a theme (my case)

– Bad code in your .htaccess file

Here the Tutorial, hoping that it helps someone:

*****************************************************************************************

Your Plugins can cause your WordPress site to error out for a number of reasons.
    You can disable your plugins from your File Manager if you are not able to login to your WordPress Dashboard.

Login to your Cpanel
    Scroll down to Files
    Click on File Manager
    Choose Web Root, also make sure that you also check the box to show hidden files.
    Click Go
    On the right side, look for the wp-content folder.

NOTE: If you are working on an addon domain for your account you will need to make sure that you are in the subfolder for that domain to edit the wp-content folder for that domain.
    To determine the proper directory for an Addon domain, please check your “Domains” tab, at the top of your cPanel.

Once you are sure you are looking at the right wp-content folder double click it and then right click on your plugins folder, and click rename file (rename it to something like plugins_old)

Once this is done please open a new window and see if your site loads.
    *****************************************************************************
    A Theme can cause a number of errors for your WordPress site and you can change it from your File Manager or phpMyAdmin if you are not able to login to your WordPress Dashboard.

How to Change your WordPress Theme from your phpMyAdmin:
    Please follow this guide: http://wp-ultra.com/2011/08/change-a-broke-wordpress-theme-using-phpmyadmin/

How to change your theme from the File Manager:
    To do this go back to your wp-content folder and then go to your themes folder. From here rename your current theme to [currenttheme]_twentyten then rename your default theme twentyten to the current theme you are currently using.
    ex: If your current theme is called AwesomeTheme2013 then you would rename AwesomeTheme2013 to AwesomeTheme2013_twentyten and twentyten to AwesomeTheme2013
    Once this is done please open a new window and see if your site loads.
    *****************************************************************************
    If none of that worked often a WordPress site can error out from bad code in your .htaccess file. To correct this you will need to locate the .htaccess file for your wordpress site and rename it. Once done you will need to create a new .htaccess file and then select ‘Code Edit’ to insert the follow default WordPress Permalink code:

# BEGIN WordPress

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index.php$ – [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]

# END WordPress

After you have entered in the code click on ‘Save Changes’ up at the top right and then check your site again.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.