Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

definite yes —

I don’t think many people will use it while searching since they know many pix don’t have gps data

butg it could be a really great addition to selling from our sites – especially since most newer cameras include this automatically. one really bad use of gps is when someone just clicks on a large map of the US to tag ‘seattle’ and the image is nowhere near the actual site

having the ability to select which images get coded would be essential (including when doing batch editing), since, eg, I wouldn’t necessarily want dozens of images from the same spot to show up on a map. the key is that we don’t have to key the info in — I wrote a routine to capture lat/long and store it with an image for my global scavenger hunt game so something similar could be added for those images w/o tracking

an additional feature would be a search that would display a map with the images tagged by location, similar to a google search for all coffee shops

definitely would be useful to include this in the image_info files, too for global searches

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

I’ve been experimenting with ways of offering external products created from images, such as magnets, business cards, prints, etc — will all these be available as options or user-created products in the new sym?

one audience I’m looking at is people who don’t wan t to sell publicly, but want an easy way to have friends & family order prints, etc. for these people, there might not be any pricing for downloads. their images would be private and not part of the network

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

So far I’ve been extending Symbiostock to accomodate any downloadable products. I haven’t yet considered making physical deliverables. It might be smart to integrate either cafepress or zazzle (last I knew those two companies specialized in this) and take advantage of any API’s they have to integrate their store online. Last I knew that was possible.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@leo wrote:

So far I’ve been extending Symbiostock to accomodate any downloadable products. I haven’t yet considered making physical deliverables. It might be smart to integrate either cafepress or zazzle (last I knew those two companies specialized in this) and take advantage of any API’s they have to integrate their store online. Last I knew that was possible.

those were the 2 I was going to look at — just wanted to check I wasn’t duplicating anything. if I get this working it can be an addition or plugin for sym

meanwhile — were you able to find a way to use the current image url in a text widget on the image page? (so I can send the image name to an external function)

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I might be confused as to what you need. You simply need a box with a url on it which can be docked in the widget area? This is perhaps 30 minutes of work (or less) to make a plugin which can do this. If you need it for your own projects let me know and I’ll get that out to you today.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@leo wrote:

I might be confused as to what you need. You simply need a box with a url on it which can be docked in the widget area? This is perhaps 30 minutes of work (or less) to make a plugin which can do this. If you need it for your own projects let me know and I’ll get that out to you today.

I need to be able to reference the current image url in text — normally I’d get it as a global variable, but not sure how wp handles passing variables — I thought there’d be a variable available, but if it takes a plugin that would be ok, too

(is there a template or doc on making a simple plugin? the examples I’ve seen are a lot more complicated)

my text widget is going to just create a link at the bottom of the page like this:

Order business cards

I need to know XXX which is the image name to pass to the external page that will get the details for whatever I’m selling

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

You use ASP correct? One way or another I can just set it up for you in a simple upgrade (I’ll send you the version before I release it)

Let me know which language you use and specifically how you intend to show it in the footer. If the problem is as simple as passing ASP a variable, I suppose I could do that much and the rest would be however you wished to utilize it.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@leo wrote:

You use ASP correct? One way or another I can just set it up for you in a simple upgrade (I’ll send you the version before I release it)

Let me know which language you use and specifically how you intend to show it in the footer. If the problem is as simple as passing ASP a variable, I suppose I could do that much and the rest would be however you wished to utilize it.

yes, mostly asp — I just need the image name, so however it can be passed is appreciated

as a separate issue, I’d like to find a simple plugin that doesn’t require a lot of background support

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.