Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

There is a special web recognition of photos which have locational data. With the proper representation on the page, you could even show up on places like google earth.

This is especially for you nature photographers:

I’d like the propose a specialty in Symbiostock – geographical photography – with great emphasis on nature. Think of it as being another version of “google maps” for species and locations. Travelers too will benefit. Your photo would show not only as a product but as a location on a map.

So what we are talking about is a unique placement into tourism markets, plus quite possibly a valuable place in nature/science as well.

What would be involved on your part is A:

– Having an option to geo-tag your images as they are being processed, using a special map interface.
    – Having pre-existing GPS metadata in your photo.

Symbiostock has to start specializing in a few things and stop being 100% about “stock” which is really dying.

This isn’t really a huge deal or high pressure subject, but I’d love your feedback. Symbiostock has to be as much about fun and hobby as much as it is a business. You are more likely to thrive at something you like, especially if it becomes interesting beyond just “I need a photo for…”

Thanks everyone.

Leo

Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

Can I geotag all of mine “chair in living room”? lol

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Might be a good way to get lots of unanounced visitors if your lonely

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Hi Leo, and thanks for thinking of ways to improve SYS for us nature photogs!

I think I’d like the feature you’re talking about. Don’t understand exactly how it would work, but if it’s something we could easily learn to do, then yes, I’m game.

I hope you’re doing well these days and earning good $$$ while also having fun with the next great upgrade to SYS!

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Dreamstime has this feature and I have to say I don’t use it. My camera doesn’t automatically record location and given the extra work involved to click on their map, I skip it.

I could be completely wrong, but I get the impression that people looking for a specific location (and I’m sure there are many types of outdoor images where that’s the case) will type in a keyword, either generic – such as Caribbean – or specific – such as Santa Monica Pier.

If I thought this was something that would address some buyer need – something that would make “shopping” much more fun or easier for them – I’d absolutely put in the work to add that information

I wouldn’t want to miss an important trend, but I also don’t have time to waste, and thus far I haven’t seen geo tagging really do much for stock photography (as in Dreamstime is a bottom feeder in the top tier and I’d have figured their sales might have improved relative to the top performers if this was something useful)

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Jo Ann makes a good point.

I’m on Dreamstime too, and when uploading there, if it’s not too much trouble, I do enter my place data so their system can record the GPS coordinates. However, if it’s anything more complicated than that, I don’t bother with it.

My two Canon 7D cameras don’t support GPS, and since it will probably be a long time before I buy another DSLR, I won’t have that automatic feature either.

Profile photo of sandorgora
    sandorgora
    Participant

same here; and yes: i think keywords are working more than searching on a map.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thanks guys. Better to hear it from the people who run the photography show.

dp69_2001
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Might be a good way to get lots of unanounced visitors if your lonely

Oh, how I hate unannounced visitors. I still doubt many would show up here though.

@joannsnover wrote:

Dreamstime has this feature and I have to say I don’t use it. My camera doesn’t automatically record location and given the extra work involved to click on their map, I skip it.

I could be completely wrong, but I get the impression that people looking for a specific location (and I’m sure there are many types of outdoor images where that’s the case) will type in a keyword, either generic – such as Caribbean – or specific – such as Santa Monica Pier.

If I thought this was something that would address some buyer need – something that would make “shopping” much more fun or easier for them – I’d absolutely put in the work to add that information

I wouldn’t want to miss an important trend, but I also don’t have time to waste, and thus far I haven’t seen geo tagging really do much for stock photography (as in Dreamstime is a bottom feeder in the top tier and I’d have figured their sales might have improved relative to the top performers if this was something useful)

To be quite honest, when we’re searching for images at work. Things like, happy children, family summer, idk … Hopefully you get the idea. I have yet to actually search for a location centralized image. I think in the building we have 4 dslr’s though. But, you’re talking a tiny newspaper in the middle of nowhere, there are weeks that we publish 50+- advertisements, and there are weeks where we are lucky to have…. idk 10 …

The service that provides our art is pretty good however, it seems like they are slow to add new content. I believe every contributor there is paid either hourly or piece rate. Not really sure, they’re great to work with and very professional. The agency is creativeoutlet.com, if I had a hope for ever making a career out of stock I’d like it to be something like what the do. Monthly catalog and all.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I would use it. I often (if I remember) add the GPS coordinates for my travel images in Lightroom. It is pretty easy to use their Map function and it would allow someone searching for a particular beach or location to find it on a map even if they didn’t know the exact name. Once the data is in the file, it would cause no more work for me to have it appear in graphical form on a map.

STeve

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@sandorgora wrote:

+1

dp69_2001
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

@sandorgora wrote:

+1

I don’t mean to say I dislike the idea.
    It will be a huge seller (or maybe boring niche) for people who photograph places of exclusively local content. But, from someone who searches for images and who works with people that are constantly searching. Keywords are of the utmost importance.

I’ve been using Image Metadata Cruncher on my other site. So far it’s worked so well that I’ve received a penalty on my portfolio pages.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I think it’s an awesome feature and I would definitely use it. I believe it might give the Symbiostock photographers a huge advantage in the near future to have their images found.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

I’m not opposed to it but most of mine would be tagged as the Southeast corner of my basement. I would definitely say it must have the option to turn off the option as I don’t want the images tagged to give my home location.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I think this is a good idea, but mostly useful for people who have travel type photos or at least, live in a travel hot spot and take local pictures. I definitely say a yes to this feature. It is yet another way to tie into the Internet and that is always a great idea.

I often look up photos on Google to get a feel for a place. It might not translate directly into sales, but it is good exposure for SymbioStock as a whole.

Jo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.