Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of antony
    antony
    Participant

I would like to import video as part of my stock library but as a standalone user I don’t have the luxury of the simple process that seems to be being used by Plus members.

I am well aware of the difficulty in making this function possible for standalone users as Robin has explained and eagerly await advances with regard to this as mentioned in a recent post

I am investigating the possibility of developing and releasing premium addons to Symbiostock in the form of the stock submitter and the video module. The video module will require custom server configuration, but if I can create a standalone plugin that works with Symbiostock, at least people have the option of that.

But for now what are the possible options for standalone users? In a dated post Robin, you mentioned publishing footage using Woocommerce, would you be kind enough to divulge the steps with which to do this?

Recently uploaded this Time-lapse Video and would like to Publish but at the moment it is just a compressed video being linked from Flickr

NomadicImagery

NomadicImagery

Stock photo | unique travel | documentary | culture | festivals

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Antony,

Okay, so the way WooCommerce works is you create a product, and if it is a digital product you point the digital download to a location on your server. So what you would be doing is mimicking what Symbiostock does, but manually. So:

1) Upload your video via FTP to a folder on your WP install, but in a protected folder. You would need to add an htaccess file that prevents public access so no one can just manually download it. Alternatively, I believe there is a secure WooCommerce folder you can use – you’d have to look that up as I’m not sure what it is, or how it works.

2) Once you know where the file is, you create a non-Symbiostock product on your site. This initiates a normal WooCommerce product creation page. There, you would enable ‘Virtual’ and ‘Downloadable’. Depending on whether you want multiple licenses or not, you decide if it is a simple or variable product. If it is a variable product, you can just manually add licenses as you would a Symbiostock product.

3) Whether it is a simple or variable, you will then have to tell WooCommerce where the file is – you do this by adding a file via that same page, and entering the file name and url of the location of the file. WooCommerce is weird in that even if it is on your server, you need to put a URL there, even though it converts this to a local search when it actually gets the file for a customer.

4) Add your pricing and titling and what not.

5) Upload a thumbnail for your product – watermark it if you want.

6) That’s it!

The only caveat here is you won’t have a video preview – that is a complex addition which would involve manually creating the preview video then adding that functionality to the product page, etc, which is out of the scope of something I can explain here.

Profile photo of antony
    antony
    Participant

Hi Robin,

Very much appreciated is that, thanks for taking the time to explain. Excellent ‘how to’ account and I hope it not only benefits me but possibly others too. I will give it a go as soon as I get the opportunity, at least for standalone users there is a work around. Certainly better than being left out in the cold!

NomadicImagery

NomadicImagery

Stock photo | unique travel | documentary | culture | festivals

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.