Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Willie F
    Willie F
    Participant

When I upload transparent PNG images the generated thumbnails always have a black background. Is there a way to change the color of the background and re-generate the thumbnails? I have been able to find where this would be?

Willie F
    Participant

okay, I’m slowly figuring this stuff out. To remove the black background from the transparent PNG thumbnails I had to upload an Alternate JPEG to each product which solves the problem for the products I have already uploaded.

Can this be done automatically? in the documentation, it says I can upload an EPS and JPG and as long as they have the same name it will automatically use the JPG as the thumbnail. It appears that this does not work for different file formats.

I uploaded a transparent PNG file (this is my source downloadable product), I also upload a JPG version of the same image using the same name the only diff was the file extension. However, when I processed the file it simply created two separate products.

I then tried uploading the PNG version again, this time with a JPG image that also included “_ssalt_” to the beginning of the file name. This produced the following error: “Error(s): Failed to process file: _ssalt_ATS_Blue.jpg. Alternate file is not JPEG, or original product does not exist.”

Any help would be appreciated, the documentation is not very clear on this. Here is what I’d like to know:
    – Can you bulk upload a transparent PNG image and their associated JPG version that can be used as the thumbnail?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Willie,
    Some versions of Imagick have this error, and we have found this bug on rare occasions. There is no specific way to know which version causes the issue and so changing versions is generally the only option, but this is exceedingly difficult to do.

One thing you can try to do is change your PHP version if you are using cPanel which often allows you to choose your PHP version. This may fix the issue but there is no guarantee.

You may also try to change hosts – Symbiostock Hosting, for example, uses versions of Imagick that are guaranteed to not suffer from such issues.

As for bulk uploading alternate JPEGs, this is currently only restricted to vector files. However, in our next version we will remove this restriction. In the interim, if you would like to enable this so you can bulk do it, edit the tools_ftp.php file in your Symbiostock Pro folder and where you see this line:

if (($mediatype == 'vector') && (file_exists($altjpegloc) || file_exists($altjpegloc1))) {

change it to

if ((file_exists($altjpegloc) || file_exists($altjpegloc1))) {

Try that to see if bulk uploading your alternate JPEGs works.

Willie F
    Participant

Perfect that worked… thank you!

Profile photo of Mohit
    Mohit
    Participant

Hi, I have uploaded png files, but thumbnails are auto generated in jpeg with check background. I need transparent thumbnails. There is any way to set thumbnails same format as main file.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Mohit,

Sorry – as of now, transparent PNG thumbnails are currently generated with a checked background to demonstrate transparency. We may offer the option to disable this in the future if you want, but as WordPress thumbnails are generally JPEGs as it is, this is not a supported feature.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.