Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

I’ve followed the instructions for uploading new media to the site – both via ftp and using the site uploader. Both methods seem to work OK as the images are listed in “Media” but most have “draft” next to them and there is no image when you click “Edit”, nor when assigned to a gallery.

I’ve done as instructed with the scheduler – manually using Symbiostock “Settings/System?Run Now” and by creating a cron job in my Control Panel (my host company has just freaked about the frequency and command itself so may put a stop to this anyway) – it’s not helping and just shows (typically) “One image processed” or similar but it doesn’t change anything in the media list – still showing “Draft”.

Any ideas please?

Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

Think I’ve partially solved this issue – it might be useful for other newbies to know:

The image IS there although it shows “draft” and no picture shows. It needs to be assigned a category in “Edit” and then published – the image then shows in that category on the live site. It’s not visible in the standard WordPress. Media library as it would normally be when uploading.

Once that was understood, so far so good.

The issue about the scheduler is something else.

After extensive emails between my excellent host guy (I’ve been with him for many years and get a superb service) I’ve in fact realised myself that the scheduler is just incredibly slow, and whether set to manual or via a cron job every minute, it’s going to process only one or two images in each cycle. As I need to upload 600 small (600 pixel) images for one site it’s going to take loads of time – like 10 hours at the rate of one each minute.

The point is that if you keep refreshing the Symbiostock Media folder they will appear – just incredibly slowly. It’s an overnight job. I’m used to simply uploading images to a gallery folder and that’s it – job done. Clearly an entirely different system here, and I can’t say I’m impressed,, but it may of course be something I haven’t yet understood.

If anyone can suggest a better way of doing this before I completely lose the will to live I’d be grateful. When I come to rebuild my main site there will be thousands of images, so it’s a problem,

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

This is a restriction of hardware and software; resizing images is extremely CPU intensive and it is simply impossible for most web servers to process more than one a minute en mass. Has nothing to do with Symbiostock at all.

As for it taking a long time, that is also completely dependent on your server. Some take a minute to process one image while others take 3 seconds. If it is taking a long time on your machine it may not be the fastest machine for it.

As for images not showing up in the media folder, the way it works is the product is first added to the database then the image is processed and thumbnails created. This is all done automatically and you don’t have to do anything on your end – however there can sometimes be a delay between thumbnails showing up and the product showing up due to the server taking a long time to process media.

All in all your issues seem to be due to a low powered hosting account – most are not equipped to handle Symbiostock as easily as others.

Profile photo of mike1
    mike1
    Participant

Thanks Robin – it does now seem to be working OK, if a bit slow, but I do have one of the slowest broadband speeds in the UK at about 5mbs for upload. Now I understand it it’s not a problem as I just left them cooking overnight and 500 were done in about six hours I think. I think I was expecting them all to be visible immediately the upload had finished – my mistake and thanks for your trouble

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.