Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey there

Metadata reading is done via shell_exec, not show_exec, as is writing. If shell_exec does not work, it then tries to use a built in PHP function that is inferior, but may still work. However, without shell_exec, you cannot write metadata.

If this is taking 30 minutes, there is something wrong with your setup. The metadata writing/writing has no reason to hang, and should either fail or succeed and that’s it. Diagnosing this myself would take time so you’d have to submit a support request or try to test stuff yourself and I’ll provide you feedback when I can here.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Doesn’t hurt to try the force alternate just to see how it reacts differently.

Profile photo of Terry Hale
    Terry Hale
    Participant

Thanks Robin.

I actually meant I waited at least 30 minutes before giving up, not that it took that long.

I’ll take a look at shell_exec first, then at the alternative.

Edit: Oh yes, I did have a typo above.  I meant shell_exec.  And it shows as enabled on the Symbiostock settings page.

Terry Hale
    Participant

The force alternative does immediately come back with the ability to read metadata.

I don’t really have a need to write metadata to the image itself, so that should be just fine.  As long as updates to the gallery/product will be written to the database for use in the site itself.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Okay, so the one thing you might want to check is the permissions on the actual exiftool command and perhaps even its directory. It needs to be executable. This is something Symbiostock checks for, but your install has already demonstrated having issues with setting permissions, so you may manually have to do this.

This may also pose a problem when you update Symbiostock as exiftool will get overridden and you may have to re-set the permissions, if that is indeed the issue, which I’m pretty sure it is.

Terry Hale
    Participant

I set ownership of the Symbiostock plugin folder to the WordPress user, so now turning <i>off</i> the force alternate (which means I guess I’m using ExifTool now) still comes back with read but not write.

I had actually installed exiftool and put it in the path on the server because I didn’t realize Symbiostock came with it.  I uninstalled it from the server, but same results.

But, that’s fine.  As long as I can read the EXIF, then all is good.

Thanks again, Robin.  I know we all appreciate the time you take to help 🙂

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I mean the permissions on the actual exiftool program within the Symbiostock directory. It’s under symbiostock/exiftool/exiftool

Make sure that is executable – you might as well see if this is the issue.

Terry Hale
    Participant

Based on the ownership command I gave, here are the rights to Symbiostock’s exiftool:

As I was saying, before this ownership change, the exif reading/writing did nothing.  After the above change, it reads exif.  Which is good enough.

Honestly, my next question about handling Sony RAW (.arw) files will hopefully garner more of your attention in the next couple of days.

Robin, your patience and enthusiasm is very much appreciated!!  I can’t say it enough. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.