Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Don’t disagree with your thoughts, Robin. As I said, I’m making a personal decision on where to put my images for what I hope is maximum revenue – that forces me not to put some good shots on the micro sites such as Shutterstock in order to put them as RM on Corbis and Alamy and some others. I accept that Symzio needs to meet the needs of the majority of buyers, which are clearly choosing microstock sites.

Sorry to raise this but this debate has brought us round to the initial question – if Redneck and myself have images in our sites that are not on Symzio because we have put them on RM sites at a higher price, then should the pricing on Symzio be a little more attuned to Micro sites and have standard pricing for the larger file size?

STeve

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Sorry to raise this but this debate has brought us round to the initial question – if Redneck and myself have images in our sites that are not on Symzio because we have put them on RM sites at a higher price, then should the pricing on Symzio be a little more attuned to Micro sites and have standard pricing for the larger file size?

STeve

I don’t think so. I’m actually still on the fence if I want to exclude some images from Symzio or just price them high enough to make a potential risk worth it.
    When we dictate pricing we won’t get everybody on this table.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Good question.

I think that Redneck’s point about making contributors happy is a very relevant point, however. Although I’m comfortable with standard pricing, there may be a large variety of different contributors with different images, and allowing for variable pricing introduces a large array of different quality works to be included.

Further to this, our main drive with the standard pricing was to attract bloggers; as long as the small size is standardized, we basically lose nothing in that regard.

The real question is again, does having variable pricing for the full size hurt or benefit Symzio overall. I feel that more contributors will feel compelled to link to Symzio and push sales towards it if they are able to price their full size media. Inbound links from contributors is what is going to make or break the success, because that is the only feasible way to get organic search results from Google.

I’m not saying I’m gung-ho about it; standard pricing was definitely more attractive in my opinion, but variable pricing also has its perks in that it provides for more freedom.

One aspect that is good for me, for example, is I can produce longer videos now and price them higher. Some videos are 3 seconds long, and others are 2 minutes. It doesn’t make sense to price those the same.

What do you think?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

To some extent, we cannot control everything; the media is owned by contributors, and if contributors want to price their media at exorbitant prices and sell nothing, thereby causing Symzio to fail, then we kind of have to accept that this is the nature of reality. The only other option is to force them to price lower, in which case they’ll be unhappy and kind if make it fail anyways.

We have to hope that most contributors will be reasonable, and price things reasonably, and assist in marketing Symzio so that their reasonably priced media gets purchased.

At least, that’s where I’ve come to.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Although standardized pricing does have its perks, especially for corporate clients.

I suppose we’ll have to ponder it some more to make a good final decision. Perhaps we could have a narrow range of minimum and maximum pricing so it does not fluctuate wildly.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I think I’m going to close this thread now, and we can re-assess stuff at a later date if necessary.

The final consensus is:

$1.99, 800×800 small one time use

$(contributor set pricing), full size royalty free

We’ll set the pricing maximum and minimum somewhat reasonably so we don’t have highly fluctuating prices, but with enough room for contributors to price accordingly. We may also use pricing tiers so contributors choose one of them rather than setting a custom price so that customers have more consistent pricing to choose from. We’re also going to encourage contributors to leave the global pricing empty and let Symzio use the defaults, and mainly customize pricing on individual media as is necessary.

Hope this has been productive for everyone and thanks for participating. We’ll be releasing the updated version of Symbiostock shortly.

Viewing 6 posts - 46 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Symzio Pricing Update’ is closed to new replies.