Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

What a great idea! Today I started downloading my watermarked images and then re-uploading them into my media file to create a link, but your idea is much easier. 🙂

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I’ve done some experiments with a handful of my images and turned them green, so I wrote a blog post about what I did and how I think I’ll proceed

http://www.digitalbristles.com/symbiostock-image-pages-go-green/

Thanks again for the information to help get me focused on this

Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

Jo Ann. Some great ideas there. I wish I could write like that. I was thinking it might be interesting if you would track some of these images. For example, where are they right now on Google Images for the focus keyword versus where they are a month or 60 days from now. You have an opportunity to actually test whether any of this does in fact work. I for one would be very interested in the results.
    Thanks

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Another good suggestion!

I’ve taken some screen shots in a folder marked Jan 30 placement and I’ll repeat in a bit to see what happens. I also added some “greenery” to two of my top selling picnic basket images just to see what that did.

In one of the searches (I stopped after page 35 if it didn’t show up) I had to type in a captcha to prove to google I wasn’t a bot – never had to do that before 🙂

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

One more observation from my test searches. I was intrigued to see very different placement in a Google image search versus a “web” search for this image. It was at the top of the display in a web search (using its focus keyword Bell’s Palsy screaming)- the version on my site not the agencies – and it was on page 33 for a web search.

Obviously it can’t move higher for an image search but possibly adding the new information to the text on the image page might move it up over time from page 33 (where it might as well not show up at all!)

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

an easy way to get thumbnails is to pull them from a search at http://symbiostock-search.com

eg, search topiary — then ‘view source’ and cut:

I was following along nicely, but you lost me there, Steve. Where do I go to “view source”?

Thanks!

Profile photo of simi
    simi
    Participant

Thanks Dennis and JoAnn ,

Never thought about it , i followed exactly the way dennis mentioned and closely looked into JoAnn ‘s blog post and , i got green all the field in page analysis accept two , one is red and another is yellow ( Less word in body and external link ) , i will make it green those field as well.

Example : http://www.ephotobuy.com/image/phuchka-floating-over-flavored-water/

Martha Mam : You can follow this as well.

1. Go to any category , then copy Url from Address Bar of Browser.
    2. in that category once all the images pops up ( mini images ) , right click and click on view source , search the title of image you want embed as
    mini pic ( Title is pani puri , so search like pani-puri ) , it will lead to url like this –
    http://www.bestnaturestock.com/wp-content/uploads/symbiostock_rf_content/XXXX-minipic.jpg
    3. add bellow code in copy description
    Write Content as Title

Regards
    Simi

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I’m not Steve, but I think he’s talking about the browser menu item that lets you look at the source code for a page. It’s called View Source in some and in Chrome, on the View menu it’s Developer=>View Source.

But you don’t have to go that far to get the URL for a thumbnail. You can do the search as he suggested and then right click on the thumbnail and select Copy Image URL (Chrome) or Copy Image Location (Firefox)

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Thank you to both Simi and Jo Ann for your help!

Earlier, I did try looking for View Source in the browser window and didn’t find it. But… right now it’s too late, I can’t get to sleep, and I suspect my brain is just fried. Will give it another go, following your good instructions, once the sun comes up.

As Scarlett said: Tomorrow is another day! 😛

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@joannsnover wrote:

I’m not Steve, but I think he’s talking about the browser menu item that lets you look at the source code for a page. It’s called View Source in some and in Chrome, on the View menu it’s Developer=>View Source.

But you don’t have to go that far to get the URL for a thumbnail. You can do the search as he suggested and then right click on the thumbnail and select Copy Image URL (Chrome) or Copy Image Location (Firefox)

sorry – one never knows what level of detail to describe

anyway, the reason I use the search results from symbiostock-search.com is the thumbnails come with the alt text already in place, rather than just the URL. yoast values the alt text of images, another help towards green

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

This is a very interesting discussion with many bright ideas and good points. 😀

I wonder how important it actually is to get Yoast all “green”. I mean the plugin evaluates just the image post content. But Google sees it then embedded on the image page. On my site, there’s also 12 similar images on every image page with, well, similar metadata that the google crawler sees. So does it really improve my google SEO when the crawler also finds a small thumbnail minipic version included in the description underneath the big watermarked preview? (It should if it could measure my sweat to get it there :mrgreen: )
    I think it is a good idea to add more text than just a short image description. However, when I test an image page that I made all happy green in Yoast I still get some, hmm, mediocre evaluations on SEO test pages such as http://seositecheckup.com.

Well, I guess in the end it all boils down to trial and error. 😕

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

My site gets a “B.”

I thought this was interesting:

Social media
    Social Media Check
    EXPLAIN THIS
    Congratulations your website is connected successfuly with social media using: Facebook; Twitter;
    Social Media Activity
    EXPLAIN THIS
    Congratulations! Your website has a good activity on social media networks. Search engines are increasingly using social media activity to determine which pages are most relevant for keyword searches. Social media engagement helps you to increase your page rank and to increase revenue generated through organic search.
    Facebook Likes: 568, Facebook Shares: 34, Facebook Comments: 8
    Tweets: 4
    No activity on GooglePlus!
    No activity on Pinterest!

Chromaco
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

This is a very interesting discussion with many bright ideas and good points. 😀

I wonder how important it actually is to get Yoast all “green”. I mean the plugin evaluates just the image post content. But Google sees it then embedded on the image page. On my site, there’s also 12 similar images on every image page with, well, similar metadata that the google crawler sees. So does it really improve my google SEO when the crawler also finds a small thumbnail minipic version included in the description underneath the big watermarked preview? (It should if it could measure my sweat to get it there :mrgreen: )
    I think it is a good idea to add more text than just a short image description. However, when I test an image page that I made all happy green in Yoast I still get some, hmm, mediocre evaluations on SEO test pages such as http://seositecheckup.com.

Well, I guess in the end it all boils down to trial and error. 😕

I don’t know anything about Yoast and this “getting green” all might be a waste of time. But I do know this. When I first started my own site (non-symbio) I spent a lot of time searching for my images on Google images. I noticed two things that really stuck out at me.

1) A lot of the images showing up in the search were coming from places other than the micros. The micros were also well represented but I was surprised at what kinds of sites also showed up high for these images. Personal blogs and sites having almost nothing to do with the actual image were showing results very high in the search. Sometimes my own images were showing up on blogs and other websites above the same image on my own site. This made me really wonder why and all I could conclude was that Google liked their content better for whatever reason.

2) Frequently I would have a subordinate image show up higher than the primary image on a particular search. Sometimes that image wouldn’t even relate to the search term. EX. Searching for Viking and a Pirate would show up. I had to conclude that content had to have more to do with the results than the actual image meta data. I could find the page on my site where the Viking was and sure enough there was a small image of a pirate in the similar section.

This is why I add a thumbnail to my pages. It is possible to get to green without it, so from a Yoast perspective it is just extra work. But my opinion is that this image offers me one more way to get found by Google and it is very possible that it might show up in front of the primary image.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

It is just too bad that there is only assumptions and guesswork available for all those SEO issues.

Take this image for example: http://www.imagoborealis.com/image/northern-lights-at-morning-dawn/

Yoast shows green allover with 3 single items left yellow or orange.

Focus keyword is: “Northern Lights morning dawn”

I get an allover “B” on http://seositecheckup.com. Some test item results are definitely wrong. Others seems plausible. What strikes me is the
    “Most Common Keywords Test”. It says:

Explain This It appears that you can further optimize the density of your keywords above. Various sources indicate that a safe keyword density should range between 2-4% for your targeted keywords.
    license – 19 times – 2.42%
    photo – 16 times – 2.04%
    borealis – 15 times – 1.91%
    photos – 13 times – 1.66%
    yukon – 12 times – 1.53%

That doesn’t look at all as focused as Yoast would like me to believe.

Yet, when I google “Northern Lights morning dawn” I see rank 2 in image search and first on page 3 in web search.

What conclusions should I draw from this? What “How to fix” recommendations should I follow?

And most important: will it lead to sales? – Images like this sell reasonably well on the micros, but on http://www.imagoborealis.com nothing so far…

So is it wise to just push SEO further or would a simpler license, a simpler site, paid adverts, a blog, [fill in any idea] make the difference? – Even after this very interesting and constructive discussion here I still feel mostly lost 😕 .

Chromaco
    Participant

I’m pretty much just guessing too. Educated guesses but guessing none the less. Here is my thinking. If your image shows up on the first page or so at least you have a chance to make a sale. Whether you do or not depends on the image itself, the competition, and the buyer. But at least you are in the contest. If your image is stuck on page 35 it doesn’t matter how good it is. I would say if your image is showing up as 3 on image search then who cares what “Yoast” or this other site says. In my mind what you are doing is working for that image. If it were me I would be looking at why that image is where it is and why the others aren’t as high. If it were as clear as Yoast would like to make it seem everyone would be on the first page. I think these systems are using general assumptions as well, but it’s better than nothing.
    Part of the reason I started this thread is because I wanted to hear other opinions. You can learn a lot by stepping out of the box and other perspectives are very helpful in doing this.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.