Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Lagnet
    Lagnet
    Participant

Early on I upload some images in a very large resolution. I no longer sell this resolution and would like to use a cmd_line based utility to resize the jpgs to save some space.  If I do this what effect will it have on Symbiostock and my licenses? I think I read that the largest resolution supported by the native image will be offered in the shop. If this is correct resizing the images should have no effect other than the larger license not being offered.

Also just so I’m clear the only files stored in ss_media are the original uploads correct. Are the smaller resolutions stored elsewhere or are the generated on the fly when a user requests a download?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The media size is saved when it is uploaded (width and height), however I believe it is mostly the ratio that is of relevance. So if you resize the originals and maintain aspect ratio that should be fine.

It should not affect licenses at all as all final images are resized on the fly using the originals from ss_media.

And yes, those are the original files you uploaded.

All that being said, I would strongly suggest against what you are doing! Once you downsize them, that data is lost forever. File space is usually a non issue nowadays, and it is wiser to keep the full originals.

Profile photo of Lagnet
    Lagnet
    Participant

Thanks for the response. The business  I am doing does not require the larger resolution I was downsizing from and I have all the raws if needed later so I’m not concerned in that respect. Before you got back to me I made a back up of the image I would be modifying and went ahead and pulled the trigger.

For what it is worth in case anyone else happens across this I have encountered no issues.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.