Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

People might already know this. For those who don’t, I would like to share some work I conducted recently to reduce database size and speed up my site. (I have 6k images online. The database is huge, 110MB.)
    I use WP Optimize plugin, which is easy to use and straightforward. It cleans and optimizes database. Size is reduced by couple of MB.
    Be aware of traffic monitoring plugins as they keep traffic information in database. For months it keeps building up, the size is significant. I erased traffic record older than 30 days and drop my database size further.
    The speed of the site is improved quite a bit as I noticed.  Hopefully it works with your site.

When you only have tens of images, the database is tiny. However if you have couple of thousands, the difference is quite big.

Make sure you  backup your database before working on it.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Given how the WordPress system works, the database gets larger with each image and in not the most efficient way. However, despite this, databases with thousands of images are generally still pretty good to go as long as the server they are on is built to support any system with 6 thousand products, whether it be WordPress or not. WordPress isn’t remarkably less efficient than other CMS platforms.

However, as Songquan and George said – it is 3rd party plugins that cause a large number of potential issues. Coding efficiently takes a great deal more effort than just getting the job done, and statistic gathering plugins (as mentioned) can be problematic and add unnecessary overhead.

I strongly recommend you keep your system running only with the base plugins you need for complete functionality and try not to use optimizers or statistic gathering systems – rely on Google Analytics for all your stats (just as you would a website before WP came around) and make your install lean.

In essence, WordPress is not an operating system – it is a content management system. Do not add a million different things to it to create a web-based smartphone. You can play with that sort of stuff on a separate WordPress install, but on your main one, lighter is better. Focus on marketing, SEO, the blog, and the product sales and presentation. That’s it.

Good suggestion Robin. I may need to screen my installed plugins. I believe some of them are indeed not necessary.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.