Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant
    Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

I suspected this right away when I ran a couple of ads. I spent X amount of dollars to get X amount of likes. Took about 4 hours. Then I switched the exact same add to X amount of page views instead of likes. This time the exact same add received 10 times the page views but about 10 percent of the likes. Also the likes I received were coming from people who I automatically knew were never, ever going to buy my images. I never placed another ad with Facebook.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I’ve always wondered how these giant agencies can afford ads at the exorbitant click rates – and most of those clicks are false.

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I’ve always wondered how these giant agencies can afford ads at the exorbitant click rates – and most of those clicks are false.

The way I see it is that Facebook ads are about “refreshers”. They don’t expect to make sales but the big brands keep their logos in people’s faces. For smaller people and companies I believe it is a waste of money.

Jo

Profile photo of marquix
    marquix
    Participant

fully agree, this sounds like it has been a waste of money.

You could (and should), however, modify the entire approach. Facebook (maybe intentionally, in order to increase ad revenue from the uninformed?) tells users very little about “doing it right”, they are simply not interested in whether or not it works for you.

Your average Fb ad campaign will result in “Likes” for your Page (that is, FACEBOOK Page, not your website). That is not what you want though, you are not living off “Likes” but need to generate sales.

Up to now, the only way of achieving SALES instead of just worthless Likes was using a Like Gate on Fb or, better yet, a “squeeze pages” (external or even within Fb, if done right) that your Fb ad links to. (You can set this using links in your ad when you create your Fb campaign ads on Fb.) This either used to involve a special HTMNL plugin that can be run inside your Fb Page or linking to your external website (Symbiostock site or any additional websites you might have for capturing subscriber e-mail addresses and information).

Recently, and with the introduction of Call-to-action buttons for Fb Pages (not personal profiles, AFAIK), this has become easier and can now be done in a more straightforward way. You may want to read Fb’s new Help texts on that bit or buy yourself one of those SEO courses out there (expensive but potentially worthwhile if you really want to know the nuts and bolts of this). You could also visit free and open forums like , for better details (or even my personal photo gallery site where I am in the process of writing up my experience gathered in online marketing — during my “earlier life”, I am a recovering IT Systems Developer).

On a side note, even Twitter has geared up a bit lately with the introduction of Twitter cards (pretty sure you guys are aware of this and the fact that there are sepcial WP plugins available for that going beyond Yoast’s excellent SEO plugin and what’s included with Symbiostock already — I would recommend to also get the “JM Twitter Cards” plugin or something that even includes Twitter “subscription cards” — bear with me, currently looking myself, will try to post an edit when found.

Back to Fb ad campaigns though: I am myself constantly experimenting and improving on my current set of tools but found them to work for five or six years (including three major Google algo updates). Getting yourself ranked nicely in search-engine land and then directing both your visitors and Fb ad customers to some sort of “funnel” like that will help a lot in yielding the results that @chromaco has been missing. That way, even paid-for Fb ad campaigns (or corresponding stuff on Twitter & others) should give you quick results and be worth their money.

AP/V camera guy; view this, if you're a drone video nerd, too..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.