Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Milan Stojanovic
    Milan Stojanovic
    Participant

Hi, I’m thinking that symbiostock would be less bothersome for not tech savvy contributors, and buyers if it had one good looking, uniform theme across many symbiostock websites. I’m thinking that all our different themes, may not an optimal option from buyers perspective, simply because they want to find images fast, and not hassle with different website designs. In the end that is what our competitors offer them, once buyer figures out how SS/IS/FT websites work they get used to it. Do we offer them same user experience?
    Maybe one possible solution, with all willing symbiostock contributors could pay something symbolic in ~1-3$ price range, and could download such theme, or maybe we (contributors) could buy out official express theme and make it (almost) free? It would also be more easier for not tech savvy contributors, once things are well know and uniform, there is only one single FAQ to answer all our questions …

I do not wanna be perceived as someone who wants to get theme cheap, simply because I believe in this project, proof is that I invested my time and (little) money money into it. It’s just way I’m thinking, so far I had no sales (which is fine, I just started), so why would I invest more (around 50$ for a decent theme) if it continues to be like that. That’s why I choose free Woocomerce offical theme, which looks a bit rudimentary. Sure site works, but is it trendy/fancy … no so much 🙂
    Hope this new topic helps community answer some new questions 🙂

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I don’t really see a need for a “one-for-all-theme”. I don’t believe any user will hop from one individual Symbiostock site to the next one until he gets tired of different web design layouts.
    We do have Symzio.com for the “all-in-one-user-experience”. All images under one roof, simple pricing and checkout. Let’s keep a little bit of individuality to the contributors.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I think an eclectic mix of different looking sites is absolutely ideal since, as Andre pointed out, Symzio provides the collective universal experience. We’re all artists, to some extent, and giving everyone the ability to personalize their own independent site is a really good mechanism. Andre does not use Symbiostock Express, for example, and it is a fantastic looking site that gives a slightly different feel.

However, the fact of the matter is that despite sales being very hard to come by, $50 here and there is really inconsequential in the grand scheme of things. I’ve invested far, far, far more than that and received nothing even remotely in return for the amount of work I’ve put into this project, and it is all in the same spirit of getting to a point where we are getting sales regularly, where we aren’t depending on third parties for our livelihood.

So, according to me, if you’re hesitant to spend the money, don’t – just use a free theme or find one that appeals to you and personalize it. You can learn how to tweak themes or even make your own if you want to save money.

On the other hand, aside from hosting costs, one time investments to get your site looking as good as it can is worth it, in my opinion, if you are a professional who is serious about being a photographer for the rest of your life.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Another option is to really research free themes and create a thread listing them so others can benefit from them!

Profile photo of Milan Stojanovic
    Milan Stojanovic
    Participant

Thanks for your ideas guys.

Sure Robyn – I’m sure you did invest a lot of time/energy/… in this project, and I’m grateful for it!
    Guess it all goes back to how much each every individual in this collective is able to invest money in currently 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.