Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Angie Makes
    Angie Makes
    Participant

My site is Down. It just keeps loading. I purchased support. Can I get this backup as quickly as possible?

Angie Makes
    Participant

It seems like my process is running on an infinite loop. My storage is currently at 46.32 GB / 48.83 GB ( 95% ). I tried to SSH into my server, but I get “Network is unreachable” error. I pay $34/month for the super host plan. I can’t have my site be down for this long with no communication from Symbiostock. Is there another host you recommend that works very well with the Symbiostock plugin?

Angie Makes
    Participant

I have a client who is upset that she can’t download her purchase. My site has been down all day. How can I reach hosting support?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I emailed you to let you know we’re looking into this and why it is happening. It is unique to your site and is therefore not a hosting issue strictly but we will try to figure out what is going on. Be aware that there are a hundred different things that can go wrong with your WordPress site if you are running other plugins as well as any one of them could be the culprit.

Also it appears your site is running fast and fine right now but I certainly understand it may have been down for some period – no other sites were so again, this is unique to your site and something going on with your install.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi there –

So first of all, I went in and observed the site and ran the cron manually to ensure that everything went fine. The order seems to have finished with no issue.

However, I did notice that it took a while and used an excessive amount of memory, CPU, and disk usage.

The first thing to note is that all your files appear to be processing just fine. However, the specific file in question is an EPS file, and a very detailed one at that. When Symbiostock processes media files, especially ones for sale to the customer, it creates high resolution JPEG images for conversion when the license dictates that a JPEG is to be sold. This can take a very long time and can also use a lot of memory.

This limitation is usually not a problem – but if you have vectors that mimic bitmap detail, the amount of computations required can be very large and taxing to output high resolution equivalents (even as a desktop process done in Illustrator, for example, this can take a few minutes at times). As web servers are not generally equipped to replicate a full image processing application, the efficiency is worse than dedicated visual software.

Given the computations required, and observing the load on your site, I find that it is unlikely that you will find a hosting solution that will provide you a better solution unless you are willing to spend upwards of $150 dollars a month on a dedicated machine, and even if you did this, your speed increase would be marginal (maybe 15-25 percent faster).

The best solution to this problem and to minimize the issue is to upload alternate JPEGs for your detailed vectors (or all your vectors) so that this is completely eliminated. Another benefit of this is you then control the color rendition of the file as Symbiostock sometimes converts vectors into JPEGs with color renditions that may slightly differ from the original (this, again, cannot be changed due to technical limitations).

The specific file in question here is #1986.

All that being said, based on this, we are now examining the possibility of tweaking the image processing system to more readily minimize memory and CPU usage so that these sorts of issues are minimized.

Angie Makes
    Participant

Thank you for that technical and detailed report. I will remove eps files and work strictly with jpegs. Is there an easy way for me to view all my eps files? Is there a way to replace my eps files with jpeg files after the product has already been created?

Another issue:

What would cause my clients images, after being processed, to be deleted? An example can be found with my order #6633. The file was processed. But when I click to download the media, it goes to a “page not found”.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi there – I will take a look at that, although I do not know why that would happen. Regarding the EPS files, you do not need to delete or replace them – Symbiostock has a feature whereby you upload an alternate JPEG that couples with your EPS. This way you can still sell the EPS but if someone orders a JPEG it will instead serve up the JPEG, and all thumbnails are done using the JPEG.

You can upload an alternate JPEG to a vector via the edit product page, but once you get used to the naming mechanism you can upload both the EPS and JPEG together at the same time and Symbiostock will automatically link them.

To see all your EPS files just sort your Symbiostock products list by media type.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Regarding the missing download, I’ve checked the code and there is a minor bug where if you don’t set a download expiry it may delete the download file prematurely. This has been fixed in the source code and I’ve applied the fix to your site – however, be aware that now your temporary download directory will keep filling up with each download so I recommend you always set a download expiry, even if it’s 30 days (via Symbiostock Settings).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.