Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Discuss all aspects of migrating from the previous version of Symbiostock to the new one here

Profile photo of stevephoto
    stevephoto
    Participant

What happens to our existing sites? I have over 5000 images uploaded. Are we going to have to re-upload everything? What about all the hours and SEO work we’ve put into getting our sites up and running?
    This is all very unclear so far.

Steve

Steve
    http://www.softlightstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

What happens to our existing sites? I have over 5000 images uploaded. Are we going to have to re-upload everything? What about all the hours and SEO work we’ve put into getting our sites up and running?
    This is all very unclear so far.

Steve

Hi Steve – first of all, you are not under pressure to upgrade your system. You can keep using your current site until you feel ready to upgrade to the new Symbiostock.

I will be posting up a full feature list and will also discuss the importer, but will try to answer you as best as possible here.

I have developed and tested a fully automated importer that will import all your previous Symbiostock images, their keywords, tags, titles and descriptions. It will also import relevant other data, such as releases, rating, etc.

However, due to the limitations of the old system (which was in essence a standalone theme), aspects such a licensing and categories will not be imported. Once you import all your images, you will have to then apply licensing to your media along with categories.

That being said, one of the cool features of the new Symbiostock is mass licensing based on media type. This means that you no longer have to individually change and edit product licensing pricing if you don’t want to. You can just enter a number, click a button, and all your products that have that license enabled will have their price updated. Additionally, you can apply default licenses to media based on their type.

So, here is how the import process would work. You would install Symbiostock on your new site along with the Symbiostock Importer/Exporter (both are free). You will then install the same Importer/Exporter on the Symbiostock legacy site. You run the import dialogue – this will not affect your old site. Once all the data is transferred to the new one, you will uninstall the importer/exporter.

Then, you go to our Licensing area where you will decide which license applies to what, with what pricing, and enable updates site-wide. This will apply that license to images or vectors (depending on your filetype) at the price you set. Symbiostock will come bundled with default licensing modeled after most corporate agencies, but you can change that in any way you want. The new Symbiostock has an unlimited number of licenses – you can call them what you want, write your own license, or use the default ones that come with it.

Once the licenses are applied and your images are fully imported, you can then mass categorize them to match your previous settings. At this point, your new site is ready to go. However, as you have mentioned, you may have done a lot of marketing work on your previous site and want to preserve this.

During the beta session I will work with contributors to figure out the best way of achieving this, but rest assured we’ll figure out a way to automatically forward your old URLs to the new ones retaining full link juice. Also, the new Symbiostock, being an isolated plugin, will allow you to go mad with SEO on your new site. You can install Yoast SEO, or any other flavor you want and manage your pages that way.

All in all, the point is that it will involve some work, but most of the methods are automated and work to alter files on a mass basis so you won’t have to individually edit much.

Profile photo of stevephoto
    stevephoto
    Participant

Sorry but i don’t understand.”You would install Symbiostock on your new site”… I don’t want a new site I have a site!

Steve
    http://www.softlightstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Steve – in that case, you would just install the new Symbiostock and the Importer/Exporter on the same wordpress install, then follow the same instructions. You will then have both the old and new Symbiostocks on the same server. However, it is likely they will not work together simultaneously and it is recommended you de-activate the old one once you switch to the new one. I will post instructions later on how to clean your server of the old install.

The importer/exporter has been designed to operate in a non-invasive manner so your current setup will not be affected.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I stopped by to see what was new here and I’m not sure I’m caught up, but I think so.
    I am interested in keeping a site where I can sell my work and theoretically interested in migrating to the plugin version of Symbiostock. Timing is everything – I won’t have much time to devote to this over the next 3 months or so. I’d like to participate in the beta but I can’t because of time constraints.
    There were a number of things Symbiostock did that most WP themes and plugins didn’t do but which are critical for a photographer licensing their work. Not sure if it’s helpful as you work on the new plugin, but here’s a list of must haves (not nice to haves) before using a plugin to license stock images.

1. Original unwatermarked images are stored somewhere reasonably secure and not publicly accessible
    2. Uploading images reads IPTC metadata embedded in the file
    3. Watermarked previews and thumbnails automatically generated on upload
    4. Choice of sizes for the buyer and delivery of an unwatermarked image, generated on the fly at sale time, to the buyer, but not publicly visible/searchable
    5. Quality of buyer JPEGs must be high (as good as Image Magick)
    6. Original size, particularly for panoramas, can be very large . Constraints, either in megapixels, longest edge size or total MB should be clearly stated (and preferably very big sizes are OK)
    7. Must support JPEG and PNG (it’d be nice to have EPS, PSD and other formats as well)
    8. Global price changes must be possible without individually editing each image

Some things it’d be nice to know
    1. How does search work? Does it support phrases – e.g. if I keyword a file with the two word phrase baby boomer, will a search for baby ignore this file? Will titles and descriptions be searched as well as keywords?
    2. Will buyers have to register/log in to purchase and if so can they see a list of their prior purchases? Can they download again?
    3. Any support for marking a file as model released or property released? This was a customization I made to my site and is pretty important to assure buyers about the legal safety of their license. Support for marking Editorial Use Only on images that may not be licensed for commercial use?

thanks,

Edited to add that the part of our profiles that had a link to our sites doesn’t appear here, so my Symbiostock site is http://www.digitalbristles.com/

• This reply was modified 9 years ago by Profile photo of JoAnnSnover JoAnnSnover.
    Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Is there a sample site where we can actually see the new Symbiostock in action?

In my opinion the presentation of our products and the purchase process are the most important parts to be improved. I’d really like to see this before investing months of work again.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

I am glad to see Symbio coming slowly back to life. I so much hope this will be the success that Symbio deserved right from the start. I would love to take part in beta-testing and/or early adopting. However, I can’t afford (and can’t justify) putting many, many hours into my Symbio site again. My site http://www.imagoborealis.com is still up and running fine (rare sales, though). So there is no immediate urge to jump ships right now. But I will be watching and, I am sure, eventually upgrade/convert to the new Symbio.

Good luck, I keep my fingers crossed!

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I’ll try to answer all the questions I can, and completely understand the eagerness for information. Just note that I will be writing extensive documentation on using Symbiostock and will also be putting out a feature list.

One thing I will cover that all three of you (actually all 4 of you) have mentioned as a concern, and that is installation/migration effort and time.

The first thing to note is that once Symbiostock is released, it will come as both a standalone plugin and a hosted solution. In the hosted solution, you will not have to install anything. Symbiostock will come pre-installed, and you literally have to sign up and start uploading. There is no server maintenance, and you will never see PHP or database or filesystem issues. This will all be maintained by us. Kind of like Gmail.

As for the standalone plugin, at this point you can basically install a fresh copy of WordPress, WooCommerce, and Symbiostock, and start uploading files immediately. Your storefront is then live in about 5 minutes. The importer has been tested and works, but if you should encounter issues, come and post them and I’ll try to help. As the importer does NOT affect your current site, you don’t need to feel worried about anything breaking.

However, as the previous Symbiostock was not coded by me, and it was bundled as a plugin/theme combo meant to run both in the back and front end, it is recommended that if you are able to, you install the new Symbiostock on a fresh WordPress install. As WooCommerce is a complete, full and extensive ecommerce system, it may conflict with the old version if both are live at the same time.

The transition away from the previous version of Symbiostock may involve some work, but I firmly believe that upgrading is worth it. Onto your questions.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

JoAnn: All of the features you mentioned are in place. Some notes: file size limitations are mostly dependent on your install of PHP/Apache. On the hosted solution, we’re talking 50MB files being okay. That’s over 100 megapixels. The system will take in just about any image type. However, it will only output resized JPEGs and your original file type. So if you upload a PNG, if a customer buys your full size image, they will receive the original file. However, if they purchase a resized version, it will be converted to JPEG. Same goes for EPS, and any other image/vector format (for all you vector artists, you can now sell JPEG versions of your vector art, and you don’t have to upload accompanying JPEGs with your vector files).

As for the search, the sky’s the limit. Here’s an example:
    http://docs.woothemes.com/document/woocommerce-product-search/

As Symbiostock remains unbloated, once your file is imported and successfully placed by Symbiostock, you can use any third party plugin to enhance your site. The above is just an example.

Buyers can purchase items as guests or create an account. As account holders, they will have access to their order history. We have added site-wide settings that let you control how many times a purchased file can be downloaded, and how many days they have to do so.

You can mark whether it has been model released, property released, or is exclusive to your site. As for licensing, you have absolute control over the licensing. You can create an editorial license and sell items through that rather than a commercial one so there is no ambiguity (you can even include relevant licensing details with the license that will be displayed automatically on every item that has it).

Great questions and feature requests, thanks.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Redneck: Once we start the closed beta, I’m sure users will post their live test sites for people to see. You will get a chance to see lots of different flavors of Symbiostock Express (our first theme).

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Imago: I don’t anticipate anyone having to spend many hours on the upgrade, so you need not worry.

I’m looking forward to migrate to the new Symbiostock version but despite the download link on the front page there is no download available 😛

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

During the beta session I will work with contributors to figure out the best way of achieving this, but rest assured we’ll figure out a way to automatically forward your old URLs to the new ones retaining full link juice. Also, the new Symbiostock, being an isolated plugin, will allow you to go mad with SEO on your new site. You can install Yoast SEO, or any other flavor you want and manage your pages that way. All in all, the point is that it will involve some work, but most of the methods are automated and work to alter files on a mass basis so you won’t have to individually edit much.

many of us have yoast installed an have done extensive editing to optimize SEO on an image by image basis — does this data disappear in the migration?

However, as the previous Symbiostock was not coded by me, and it was bundled as a plugin/theme combo meant to run both in the back and front end, it is recommended that if you are able to, you install the new Symbiostock on a fresh WordPress install. As WooCommerce is a complete, full and extensive ecommerce system, it may conflict with the old version if both are live at the same time..

also, regarding where these versions will live — I have many external links and google indexing that point to my symbio site at http://cascoly-images.com/pix so I don’t see that I can delete that site anytime soon. So where would I put the new system & how will they get along? would I be able to install a new wp in say http://cascoly-images.com/pix2 and have both sites running??

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

many of us have yoast installed an have done extensive editing to optimize SEO on an image by image basis — does this data disappear in the migration?

We will have to look at it on a case by case basis during beta testing. Nothing needs to be lost, it all depends on what takes more work – porting it over or re-creating it. My guess is porting it over will be less work, so I will do everything I can to make sure you can do this. As everyone will have SEO’d their sites differently, during the beta phase I will try to gather information about this so I can tweak the importer/exporter so it retains your URLs. This is not as much a Symbiostock issue as a general issue – whenever you switch sites/servers/software, you try your best. This forum, for example, was moved from Symbiostock.com, which itself had been moved from the Symbiostock.org of the past. Every time this happened, some data/URLs were lost because not all systems are compatible. Even though this forum is running off the same software as the previous one, it still could not be ported over perfectly.

also, regarding where these versions will live — I have many external links and google indexing that point to my symbio site at http://cascoly-images.com/pix so I don’t see that I can delete that site anytime soon. So where would I put the new system & how will they get along? would I be able to install a new wp in say http://cascoly-images.com/pix2 and have both sites running??

With .htaccess you can do just about anything, and yes, you can have multiple copies of wordpress running off the same server, even off the same database. Again, this complicates your setup, but is definitely do-able. Again, during the beta phase we will work through all this as best as possible. I don’t see big issues creeping up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.