Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of TravelPOIs
    TravelPOIs
    Participant

Hello,
    i have a problem with the metadata of my JPG images. When I upload jpg images via ftp a new product with title and description is created.
    The file _ssrep_xxx.jpg contains all metadata but the resized images are empty (without metadata), can someone tell me where the error could be?
    If I upload images directly with WordPress, then even the small images have all metadata!

Google shows licensable images in the image search (IPTC), does anyone have a link or info how I can realize this on my site (WordPress / Symbiostock). I am grateful for every tip

Thanks
    Christian

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi there,

We will look into the metadata retention in thumbnails, although there is no real benefit to this. It is preferable for the images to be titled appropriately, and they are, and for the product pages to have good SEO. This is because you will have multiple versions of the same thumbnail throughout the site, and it could be confusing for Google for them all to have metadata.

As for Google licensing in Google images, you can add this to your Symbiostock site via the Symbiostock Google Licenses plugin:

https://www.symbiostock.org/product/symbiostock-google-licenses/

Thanks!

TravelPOIs
    Participant

Okay, thanks for the info!

Another question:
    Is there a detailed instruction how to integrate the extra metadata in the Media folder?
    Couldn’t find anything about it, thanks!

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi there – you can see the tooltip within Symbiostock for detailed instructions on how to extract extra metadata from the images. To display this, however, or use it on your site, you would need custom code within your theme.

TravelPOIs
    Participant

Hi Robin

Okay, but the plugin does not solve the metadata problem!
    Symbiostock also removes important metadata, such as copyright, which is really not good. I think this affects all Sysmbiostock users who want to sell images! Can this be avoided or changed in any way?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi there – you are correct, it does not. As I said, we will look into this and get back to you, thanks.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

We have checked this out, and because Symbiostock watermarks the images, they are stored as fresh images and do not retain metadata. As far as we know, this does not affect SEO at all, and we’ve never had a request for metadata retention in the watermarked thumbnails. It is an optional feature we may add in the future, but right now it would simply introduce too much overhead, as if you wanted to change the title of your image in the store, and wanted this reflected in the thumbnails, Symbiostock would have to manually re-generate them with every title update, which is simply not an efficient possibility.

As for retaining copyright information in your original images, you can disable any cleaning functions Symbiostock implements through your Symbiostock Settings > Media tab, and disable the cleaning option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.