Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Videoopp
    Videoopp
    Participant

I like the masonry style galleries at Symzio.com  I also like the search box there where people can choose video, images or vectors.  Are these there because you are using a different theme for Symzio or a result of plugins?  It looks like jQuery Masonry which i have downloaded and plugged in but it does not seem to have any effect.

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Symzio is not based on WordPress and was coded from scratch – to use any third party plugins with WordPress is a touchy issue especially with custom themes. But Symbiostock Express already has a Masonry type thumbnail view built in as far as I know.

As for the search – same thing. The way media is stored in the database in WP is completely different than Symzio which makes it difficult to customize in the same way. It’s do-able, just not something we have the resources to do right now as we’re focused 95% on marketing Symzio.

Videoopp
    Participant

I guess it is masonry of sorts….  I would like it a lot better if there was more control over what data appeared below each thumbnail or where and when it appeared.  I like the way the thumbs appear on Symzio with no distracting text and then as you hover over a thumb you get info appearing inside the thumb.

Your comment on the search options makes me a little nervous.   I had intended to have this site include both images and video so I really NEED the user to be able to choose what they are searching for.  Are you saying that the Word Press database structure is not the best suited for good or complex searches?  I am not planning a huge site, but it will be more than just a novelty site.  I have about 40,000 images and 5,000 HD video clips.  If you think that WP is not robust enough to handle that size of site, I would like to know that now before I start uploading…

Thanks!

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

No, it’s not about whether WordPress can handle it or not – it’s just that with Symzio the database structure has been formulated from the perspective of being a search engine. WP can handle it, you may just need to do some searching for a custom plugin that allows you to do that.

The media type, for example, is a post meta entry that is attached to each product. So you would need to customize a search by post meta where the media type is video, or image etc.

I just did a quick search and this came up:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/post-meta-searcher/

I’m not saying you should use this plugin, but it’s just an example.

As for whether WP can handle that many entries, it should not be a problem. I can’t guarantee anything because it also depends on the server you’re running on, but Symbiostock does not add much overhead at all to the base WooCommerce system when it comes to the front end.

This discussion:

http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/64592/woocommerce-store-with-30-000-products

Outlines that people run WooCommerce with over 250,000 products without issue.

As for making the mouse over the way you want, that is completely front end specific, and we don’t really get involved with that. You would need to customize the front end yourself in that regard. Again, Symzio does not run on WP so the way it works cannot be ported.

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

I’ve used the VisualComposer (a paid plugin) for masonry grid view. You can apply different effects (I used ‘lazy load’) and filters (I used product category) to it.
    The downside is that it loads slowly when you show many images.

Here’s an example on my site: http://picturebreeze.com/shop/recreation/ .

Videoopp
    Participant

Yeah,  slowness to load is the price one has to pay for the ease of working with Word Press it seems…. I notice it on other WP sites I manage as well.  I wonder if Symbiostock would or is considering marketing the script they have developed for Symzio.  I really don’t like the idea of spending 500 hours plus, in getting a new site up and running smooth only to decide that it is too slow.  I am a media purchaser as well.  I know I don’t shop at any site that take 15 sec to load…  Please let us know if you are considering porting all of your ideas over to a Bootstrap script and theme.

Thanks

worldviewstock.com

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

But the slowness applies only to the masonry grid view because all images need to be loaded and then resized to fit on the screen.

When you use the regular WooCommerce image display the process is much faster since it’s using the already available resized images (defined at WC settings). Here’s the same category with WooCommerce default display.

http://picturebreeze.com/product-category/recreation-hobbies/

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The slowness Redneck is talking about is as a result of the way jQuery works – most jQuery commands are parsed after the page is loaded. With images, specifically, since Masonry requires that they ‘fade in’, a lot of the time it actually has to wait until all the images are loaded in order to create the grid.

This has 0 to do with Symbiostock or WooCommerce.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.