Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant
    Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

I don’t think anyone even knows how to respond to this. Give it about two months when commissions plummet and we will see what happens. I’m glad I have started building my life boat. This is just crazy.

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Insanity. I know there has been a LOT of scares in microstock of late, but to be honest, this is the first one that has me really, truly worried about my future in stock.

This is my business, my work, not just a hobby. And with one move Getty may have killed it. And not just for me, but for thousands.

Speechless.

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I am so thankful I left Istock years ago – but what they are doing will probably still have an effect on what I do now. Shame it is not possible for everyone to leave them and remove all their images. I hope those who have the same images for sale here as they do with Getty will be able to remove them ?

So, grateful thanks for a certain person for giving us an alternative :mrgreen:

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

The very sad part about this is that they’re not just killing their own contributors but all others as well. The “editorial market” is hereby officially declared dead. No matter if you deliver to Getty or not.

Makes me want to leave stock photography.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Tweet. Post on Facebook. Give it the spin it deserves: 1. The photo you embed lets Getty track you & everyone visiting your blog and mine for info for their own purposes. 2. The “free” image you embed will soon have an ad appearing in front of it, which people visiting your blog will have to watch. 3. When their holding company sells Getty (which seems inevitable), that image may simply disappear. 4. By paying a small amount at Shutterstock, Symbiostock, Fotolia, etc., you can use the image legally, with no tracking and no ads. And you support the photographers who take these shots for a living.

I see a big P.R. opportunity here for Getty’s competitors and Symbiostock.

Profile photo of Jezper
    Jezper
    Participant

Thanks for the ride…….. Getty finally F***** it up for all of us.

Profile photo of Chromaco
    Chromaco
    Participant

@jezper wrote:

Thanks for the ride…….. Getty finally F***** it up for all of us.

Not so sure yet. The world has its own way of reacting to things. Free is most always “not free” and smart people know it. There is a reason people are paying for images right now. Among other reasons is uniqueness or relatively limited use of the image. I might be wrong but I see this action as dividing the image using public into “paying” and “not paying”. If I have to choose a target market I will choose “paying customers”. This seems very shortsighted by Getty. “Non-paying Customers” probably won’t pay for advertising either. In the long run they will be winning the hearts and minds of people who want everything for free. No matter what plans you have for the future to monetize it, if you are courting the wrong customers it will never work. This does however dramatically affect who I will allow to sell my images. Looks like I might have to wait at least another year before I upload new images to any of the major micros.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

Tweet. Post on Facebook. Give it the spin it deserves: 1. The photo you embed lets Getty track you & everyone visiting your blog and mine for info for their own purposes. 2. The “free” image you embed will soon have an ad appearing in front of it, which people visiting your blog will have to watch. 3. When their holding company sells Getty (which seems inevitable), that image may simply disappear. 4. By paying a small amount at Shutterstock, Symbiostock, Fotolia, etc., you can use the image legally, with no tracking and no ads. And you support the photographers who take these shots for a living.

I see a big P.R. opportunity here for Getty’s competitors and Symbiostock.

Still shocked here. I guess nobody can really evaluate the consequences for us all, but I think you are right Michele: we should use this sh!t in the most positive way we can do. As I’m not a native speaker I would be very happy if you would like to write a P.R. text which we could use all over our network.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@christine wrote:

So, grateful thanks for a certain person for giving us an alternative :mrgreen:

+1

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I’ve already written a blog post. http://vector999.com/blog/ 🙂 Feel free to modify/use.

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

I’ve already written a blog post. http://vector999.com/blog/ 🙂 Feel free to modify/use.

Awesome! Thanks a lot, Michele!!!

Profile photo of Jan
    Jan
    Participant

Trying to get this all in my head.

Getty gets ad income and we ge nothing. Right?

Profile photo of shotupdave
    shotupdave
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

Put your blog on my site with giving you credit and a link to your wonderful site

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Thanks, everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.