Tagged: , ,

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey scenicoregon,

Yes, trying to hack the theme to ensure that nothing breaks is a real problem. That is the main flaw in the previous incarnation of Symbiostock. When you have functional code embedded in the theme – even a little bit – it becomes a big hassle to change and upgrade.

When the entire plugin is embedded in the theme, you’re pretty much stuck with the design, or the hacked version of the design that you end up using. Then, once you’ve made personalized changes, you can’t upgrade the theme/plugin because then it will reverse all your changes!

The new plugin will have brief documentation because I am coding it in a manner that is seamlessly integrated into wordpress. That’s why it is quite difficult to do. Here, I’ll explain some aspect of development so that everyone kind of understands where I am coming from:

Wordpress is not a linear system – it basically encloses the entire website in a built in infrastructure. So if you want to, say, change some link from underline to bold, you have two main choices. You can go right into the theme and hard code the bold tag where you want it, or create CSS that overrides the CSS that is already there. The second option, which is more difficult, is to find out exactly HOW wordpress is making that link underlined, and using their own built in mechanisms, change that to bold.

The benefit of using the last option is if wordpress gets updated, and the CSS or hard-code gets changed, your link will stay changed because you are programmatically altering it through their infrastructure. On the other hand, if you hard coded the bold tag it will likely vanish once the code/theme is updated.

This is a tiny example – as WordPress is still being developed, sometimes you find portions of code that cannot be changed without breaking WordPress. So then you have to find an alternative way of accomplishing what you want.

I am being extremely strict in my development to ensure that there isn’t even one line of code you have to stick in your wordpress/woocommerce install to ensure Symbiostock works. Because of this clean implementation, you are going to be avoiding about 95% of the issues you will encounter with a theme embedded plugin, which is what the previous version was.

If you have a pro-version you will get credit towards a Symbiostock theme, or hosting if you prefer. We’re definitely going to be developing multiple themes so people have choices, and make each theme very robust so you can personalize it dramatically. Again, you will not have to go into the code to do this – we are going to develop it so the forms for changing the major elements are built right into the WordPress GUI.

As for networking Sym members – that is a definite part of the plan. But as I’ve hinted at previously, I don’t just want to provide a system for linking media together. I aim to create a system that will dramatically change the landscape so that Symbiostock contributors (hosted and standalone) will get sales that compare to the large agencies. I have a lot of the planning in that regard finished but will only start development on it once I have released Symbiostock.

It is very crucial to me that contributors have the freedom to distribute their media in beautiful manners with as little headache as possible which is why getting the plugin finished is the main priority right now.

Thanks for the questions.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

As we get closer to doing a closed beta of the plugin, I’m going to start preparing the Symbiostock website for its relaunch. You may notice minor downtimes or glitches as we get through this process.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I’m not 100% sure if this is going to notify you guys due to the forum switch, but welcome to the new site.

Profile photo of stevephoto
    stevephoto
    Participant

What happens to our existing sites? I have over 5000 images uploaded. Are we going to have to re-upload everything? What about all the hours and SEO work we’ve put into getting our sites up and running?
    This is all very unclear so far.

Steve

Steve
    http://www.softlightstock.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Steve,
    I’ve created a thread in the support forum and will answer your questions there – http://www.symbiostock.org/forums/topic/migrating-from-legacy-symbiostock/

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

Hi Robin,
    Thank you for the updates. I haven’t been active for quite awhile so it’s nice to see life in the project again. It’s very generous of you to offer credit for past purchases and I’m looking forward to seeing what the new themes and plugin have to offer. This may be the kick in the pants I need to start shooting and uploading again. Life distractions have kept me on the sidelines for too long.

Karen
    http://www.karensarragaphotography.com

Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

Hi Robin-
    OK, so the forums are back to .org now, rather than .com? Please clarify.
    Thanks
    Rick (Scenicoregon)

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Rick – yes, we are going to be using Symbiostock.com for the hosting solution and premium stuff, and as Symbiostock is a 100% free plugin, we are going to keep all community stuff on here.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Karen – motivation is in short supply given the limited options we all have in regards to selling our media. That’s pretty much where Symbiostock came from, so trust me, you’re not alone!

Great site! You’re going to love how your images look in the new skin.

Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

OK, so if I understand:

Symbiostock plugin self-service at the .org forum, and Symbiostock plugin hosted solution at the .com forum, correct?

OK, now all of a sudden I’m having major problems on my legacy site (never had problems before).  With all the forum changes, I don’t know where to go for help.  Where’s that, now?

Thanks

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Rick – yes, that is correct. I’ve re-enabled the legacy site support forum and put it under our new Support section.

Profile photo of rolfo
    rolfo
    Participant

looking forward to see the new plugin in action

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.