Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kennykiernan
    kennykiernan
    Participant

Hey folks – I’m unable to find where I can adjust my desired size of the image preview on my item pages.

Also, where I can adjust the size of my thumbnails, and keep them consistent across images with different proportions? These parameters are not available under Symbiostock->settings.

Finally, in my old Legacy Symbio I had Leo create “minipics”, which were even smaller thumbnails that were small enough that they didn’t require a watermark. See them here on my old Shop page (http://www.clipartmascots.com/image/) I’d like to have these in y new shop, with added captions. How do I make these and add them to my pages?

thank you!

Kenny Kiernan
    https://www.clipartman.com

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Kenny,

There is no way to have thumbnails without watermarks at the current time

As for the sizes of the previews and what not, that is determined by WooCommerce in their settings. Once you change that, it will take some time for the Symbiostock processor to go through all your media and re-do them, but it will do this automatically.

kennykiernan
    Participant

Thanks Robin, but the WooCommerce setting are not proving to be sufficient; I have 3 questions for you:

Question 1 –

My images are of varied proportions, and what I need is for all images to have a consistently-sized square thumbnail auto-generated that fits the longest dimension (height or width; usually height) of each image, therefore the white image backgrounds will all be a consistent height & width, with my watermark always the same size in the center, and the actual images themselves will floating in the fixed space of the white thumbnail square.

What I’m getting with the sizes I’ve fixed in the WooCommerce settings is that the heights are correct, but the thumbnails are of varying widths , even though I’ve specified a fixed width – it’s not adhering to this. I’ve looked for related plugins and haven’t seen any that seem to be a solution. Do you have any ideas?

Question 2 –

When I upload my vector EPS files, I’m getting a CMYK-like muddy color, or now a reverse negative image (!) for some reason. But the accompanying JPGs do look nice in the thumbnails and retain their bright RGB colors.

…But when I upload identically-named matching EPS/JPG pairs as is done with the microstocks, I’m not getting them as 2 purchase options for a single image, but rather as 2 separate products. This is no good, I need them to appear as different options within the same product. How do I do this? I also want to add transparent PNG as a third format – so how do I add that to the mix?

Should/can I Upload the JPG as the main product (because it retains my metadata and the color looks good), then add a PNG and vector file to the same product listing once it’s already in the shop?

Question 3 –

The available choices I want to offer are:

– Small (blog size) low-res JPG or PNG – <span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>standard or extended license.</span>

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>- Large (high-res, 8.5×11) JPG, PNG, Vector – standard or extended license.</span>

Where do I specify these options and remove the other options that were there by default?

Thanks, Robin!

Kenny Kiernan

kennykiernan
    Participant

Hey Robin – with regard to my previous questions about image sizes, I’ver discovered that when my Storefront Theme sidebar and widgets appear on my product pages, there’s no room for my full-sized product image, and it scales the image down which I don;t want. How do I change the Page Attributes template from Default to Full Width for just my product pages??

Kenny Kiernan

kennykiernan
    Participant

Sorry, I was wrong – I deleted the sidebar completely and it still resizes the product image to too small, although it pops up at the right size when I click on it. Why is the product page doing this unwanted scaling of the product image, do you know?

thanks, sorry for all the questions but this is driving me crazy–

Kenny Kiernan

kennykiernan
    Participant

Hey Robin – I feel like I wasted another entire day uploading variations on my watermark by trial-and-error, and experimenting with preview sizes. I’m getting inconsistent results now when I upload a vertical instead of square JPG, with a new vertical watermark; it resizes my vertical watermark in the thumbnail, but uses the Symbio watermark for the product page image, which doesn’t make sense to me, it wasn’t doing that before.

Please clarify these issues by answering the questions from my earlier replies in this thread.

Can you explain to me what’s the deal with Symbio Plus? I originally intended to learn all of this fundamental myself so I’d have a full knowledge of how this system works. The WP stuff makes sense to me but the Symbio functions are sometimes confusing and undocumented, and I need to rely on whatever generous input whenever I can get it from you and whoever else can answer my many questions. Will Symbio Plus do this unbelievably frustrating work for me so that I am fully functional, and it’s just a matter of maintaining the shop after I’m shown what exactly was done that I couldn’t figure out in the first place?

I had Leo do this for me in my legacy site because I didn’t know WP at all. Now I’ve learned how and I’m comfortable using WP – but while this newest version of Symbio is supposedly new and improved, from what I can see some functions are lacking that were present in the earlier version. Unless I’m just doing it wrong.

Please advise how I can get all of this figured out ASAP; it’s been several full days and I feel like I’m barely past square one, and I only have another week to get this all done. I have big plans for this site and will definitely be getting a lot more sales than I’ve been getting with Clipartmascots, but I have to get the thing working properly first.

Thanks so much for your understanding, please help –

Kenny Kiernan

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Kenny –

I will try to help.

1)
    Firstly, here is some documentation on WooCommerce and thumbnails:
    https://docs.woothemes.com/document/using-the-appropriate-product-image-dimensions/

Regarding having constant sizes, I am guessing the hard crop option is what you are asking about. This will force the images to fit the dimensions specified. Also remember that much of how these things are displayed is determined by your theme. This pretty much has nothing to do with Symbiostock.

2)
    The best thing to do is upload the EPS files then upload their accompanying alternate JPEGs. Symbiostock will then use the JPEGs for pretty much everything, including raster purchases, and deliver the original EPS for vector purchases. This is what most vector users do so they retain full control of how the vectors render on their sites.

3)
    Go to Symbiostock > Licenses, and add what you want and delete the rest. Also, it will not output PNGs but rather only JPEGs. You can ask about the license options here if you want or just spend some time exploring.

I do acknowledge that the plugin has grown in features quicker than we have been able to document everything, but much of the look and feel of your site has nothing to do with Symbiostock. Symbiostock is mostly a backend engine and leaves the front end to WooCommerce and your theme.

Symbiostock PLUS was a hosting system we had enabled for users, but have since discontinued the service because it was taking too much time away from the development of the plugin. It would not have altered your usability or changed the issues you are experiencing, except maybe you would be using Symbiostock Express theme which may have made it easier for you.

kennykiernan
    Participant

Hey Robin, thanks for the info. I’m trying a different (paid) theme and getting good results now with the thumbnail sizes – BUT, please explain how I do what you described in #2 above, it’s not working for me:

When I upload an RGB vector EPS, it becomes its own product with the SS media preview image coming out reversed; black with white lines, like a film negative. When I then upload the corresponding identically-named JPG (except for the suffixes, which are EPS and .jpg, respectively), it just comes up as a separate new product; it doesn’t link the two products in any way, nor does the jpg’s preview image replace the crappy EPS’s negative image, as your suggestion implies.

Am I just doing this wrong? Can you please explain EXACTLY how this is done? This function is absolutely crucial to my site.

Thank you very much!!!

Kenny Kiernan

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey Kenny,

To add an alternate JPEG to your EPS product, once the EPS product is created, you go to edit the product and scroll down. It will say ‘upload alternate JPEG’ – just use that to upload it, or use FTP with the corresponding file name provided. This will then be used as I explained and the negative thing won’t matter.

kennykiernan
    Participant

Thanks Robin.

I’m experiencing another glitch I hope you can help me with; when I go to edit my purchase options Licenses, I can make changes in the License area on the product page and save them in that same product details box, but when the whole Product page refreshes, the new settings aren’t saved; it goes back to the defaults, which are just 4 choices. I edited some of the defaults that were in there, and deleted the rest but added a new one too. It won’t let me add a fifth, or save my rearranged order of licenses, etc. Have you heard of this glitch before? Why wouldn’t this work?

Kenny Kiernan

kennykiernan
    Participant

Never mind, Robin – I researched more thoroughly and believe I know how to fix those licenses, I already have one working now. Also got the Stripe AddOn working now after deleting and reinstalling the three plugins: WooCommerce, SS, and Stripe Addon, then having the Stripe plugin author go in there and tweak a bit. So I’m good for now.

However, still 2 things —- I am still very curious about the paid migration of legacy Clipartmascots to Clipartman; this will save me a ton of time. I own both accounts and URLs, I’d think switching them would be easy – so the migration will save me a ton of time uploading all the same images, and I’ll just tweak their individual data.

I already paid the $25 – is this sufficient, and how long would it take?? Thank you for your patience with me!!

Kenny Kiernan

kennykiernan
    Participant

Sorry Robin, another question about the License options. Yes, I learned how to add a license option that sticks. But when I purchased this new option, I was not given a download link. I didn’t realize I have to manually upload files and give them non-intuitive ss names like “302e18.media” and “723-739-jpg” for every purchasable option for every image ?? Doesn’t SS just do this automatically??

The first option I added put these files in there automatically, they were just there.

How would I even know what to name them and where I link from or go to locate them to “Add Files”?

This would be another good reason to just upgrade from legacy with the new name; I can’t see doing this 5 times each for 450 files.

Regardless, please explain the real deal on how this works. Please see screengrab below for further clarification on what I mean; the top item #739 was autogenerated by SS; wouldn’t #751 beneath it also be autogenerated? — thanks Robin!!

Kenny screengrab

Kenny Kiernan

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Kenny,

Migration should be fine – I’ll take a look at it.

As for licenses, you generally don’t want to edit them on an individual product basis. Do it via Symbiostock > Licenses and then apply them to your products. This way you have standard pricing and licenses throughout the site and don’t need to edit the products themselves. This is a core feature of Symbiostock.

kennykiernan
    Participant

Great Robin, thanks so much about the migration. Please let me know if I can do anything to move along the process, I’d like to get this rolling ASAP – how long would this take?

Noted about the Licenses, I’ll see if I can get it to work that way once the new migration is complete.

Kenny Kiernan

kennykiernan
    Participant

Hi Robin, I’m following up on this request. Do you have an ETA to have the migration complete?

thanks –

Kenny Kiernan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.