Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi All,

I’ve just installed Symbiostock and as I’ve only just begun, I can’t comment on the awesomness of the plugin just yet but so far it looks great!

I have some questions regarding media locations and media sharing between themes/wp-core media manager.

As all pictures are imported into ss_media, how would I be able to utilise them in my theme/plugin galleries? I have bought a proprietary theme that comes with it’s own gallery that retrieves media from the WP media manager. I also have NextGen Gallery plugin.

NextGen stores images in it’s own gallery folder but as it’s used for the very portfolios I wish to create, this is not a problem.

I’d prefer not to import images twice; once for WooCommerce/Symbiostock and once for other gallery plugins. As I’m self hosted, I can create a symlink point ss_media to upload folder but this is a hack and I’d prefer not to go down that route.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered!

Ross

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi George,

Thanks for the welcome!

I seem to already have test images in the Media Library that are the same in Symbiostock. I’m going to remove the test images from both and re-add. Confusing myself here.

Theme is fully compatible with WooCommerce 2.5. (according to the themeforest developer at least)

So the process is, uploading to ss_media or via the web uploader in Symbiostock (SS) will be processed via the cron job and added to the SS media library. These images should then be accessible via the WP Media library? Does it duplicate these images in the filesystem, or is it only the path that is changed in the WP-library?

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok perfect!

Removed duplicates (left over from trying various other plugins before finding SS) and the process worked exactly as you confirmed.

I was worried about space as I’m uploading 100GB’s of photos 🙂

I’ll investigate downgrading WooCommerce. I did see on the SS Documentation that it is the required version, I just need to check if my payment gateway plugin is compatible. It’s a South African payment gateway called PayFast.

I’ll respond with my progress shortly.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The duplicates created are not really duplicates – they are thumbnails. So your large, original file remains in ss_media and once it is processed, thumbnails are injected into WordPress. From that point forward, WooCommerce does not access or become aware of any files in ss_media and uses the watermarked thumbnail in your Media Library as the product image. In other words, your original file is only used to create the product image; from that point forward, Symbiostock has nothing to do with it.

George’s observations and advice are spot on.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi Robin, George,

Thank you for all the assistance, it was spot on!

Resumed work on the site today and everything is working just as you both said it would.

Regards,

Ross!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.