Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster

Do you have a Facebook page setup for your independent site? If not, it’s time to get started. In this thread I’ll post info about setting up a FB business page and tips on making it look good and getting the most out of it. I am also learning as I go, so I’ll share new tricks as I learn them and I ask you to do the same.

Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster
    Create Your Facebook Business Page

To create a Facebook business page, you first need to have a regular Facebook account. It’s pretty easy to signup, steps are described here:
    https://www.facebook.com/help/345121355559712

Once that’s done, you can make a Facebook page for your independent site. Make sure you name your Facebook page the same as your independent site’s name, so that you are creating a brand for yourself. Follow the steps described here:
    https://www.facebook.com/business/learn/set-up-facebook-page

Tip: When choosing a business category, I recommend you select ‘Brand & Products’. This seems to be the best option so that your website URL displays on your FB landing page. And then in the sub category choose either ‘Website’ or ‘Camera/Photo’.
    Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster

Facebook Cover Image & Profile Image

Cover dimensions: 851px wide by 315px tall

Profile Image dimensions: must be at least 180px x 180px

The importance of your FB cover and profile images cannot be understated. It’s the first two things your FB visitors will look at. So spend some time on them, you don’t have to make them look over-the-top, but making them look professional will work in your favor.
    TIP: If you have created a logo for your independent site, try using a a version of it for your profile. It’s very effective in creating your brand and whenever you make a post/reply on your timeline, your logo will show up next to it. When people encounter the same logo over and over, it creates an impression and a visual stamp in their memory.

TIP: Instead of uploading any sized image for your cover image, create a cover image that is cropped to the specific 851 x 315 size. It may seem like an unnecessary step, but when your visitors flip through your cover images, them being cropped to size gives off the impression of professionalism because it’s obvious you spent time on it.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Hi Dawn

I’ve made a start with mine:

https://www.facebook.com/backyardstockphotos/

Do you know if you can add a specific URL to the image in a post so that it opens the right page in my Symbiostock site?

Steve

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

https://www.facebook.com/backyardstockphotos/

I think it would be better if you share the image page from your Symbiostock website onto your FB business page. That way the image next to a description including backlink will be published.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I’ve tried that just now, but I haven’t yet found a way to put a photo and a sample of the website on the page. I’ll have to investigate further before I get any followers!

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

Solved it. I added the social media sharing buttons from Jetpack plugin and then used those to share the image page on Facebook to the page controlled by me. I then get the image and the caption plus a click through to the original page on my stock site.

Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster

Steve, if you just paste the url of the page you want to link to in a Facebook post, Facebook automatically pulls data from that page and if there’s an image there it should display it. After you’ve pasted the url, you can delete the url string and the populated data will still remain. Facebook also allows you to upload a different image for the link, but this option only appears after you’ve pasted the url and the data has been automatically populated (if that makes sense?)

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

I think I tried that, but on the Symbiostock product pages I tried it didn’t display the image. Hence I went to the facebook plugin on my own site and I use that now.

Profile photo of Dawn
    Dawn
    Keymaster

hmm.. I just did some quick testing on facebook and I encountered the same issue as you – where it displays a box that has text pulled from the url page but no image. Without submitting the facebook post, I refreshed my page and then tried the same url again and what do you know, after that it worked. Must be a facebook issue.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It works with Facebook, but facebook uses caches to store the data from URLs. So you can post it and on your facebook page it will show up with the media after a few seconds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.