Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Hi there,

Long time user of the old Symbio (think i was user number 6 or something!) but just transitioning to the new one now.

I am using another theme, not the default Symbio one, and instead of radio buttons to select the size/license for the image it uses a drop down menu.

But it seems that there is no way in the plugin to select a default size selection for all images?

Am i missing it? If not, could it be considered for addition to the plugin?

Thanks

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hey there,

Welcome aboard!

You can set a default license – just edit the license and look for a checkbox that says ‘set as default license’. This should make it the default in the front end. As WooCommerce has recently made some changes to the attribute functionality, if you have any issues, let me know.

THPStock
    Participant

Ah totally missed that, thanks a lot.

I have selected it and saved the license, but it doesn’t seem to be getting applied to existing images? Will it only apply to new ones uploaded after the change? Or perhaps its a caching issue, but I have cleared the cache so I’m not sure its that.

Thanks Robin

THPStock
    Participant

ok it seems if I re-save existing images then the default license gets applied. Is there an easy way to bulk do this?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Let me look at the code – I can’t quite remember how it gets applied, so I’ll see if I can figure something out.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Just dug into it – this is actually built into WooCommerce – you are normally expected to manually edit a product to change the default attribute, but we have altered it so you can set a default and it applies once it is saved.

You can automatically have this apply to all your products at once by checking the Update Licenses? checkbox when you edit a license. However, due to the limitations of WordPress, depending on the number of products you have, this could take some time and/or hang. You can run it multiple times in the hope that it will get through it, and you can also deactivate the processor temporarily while it’s going to increase the probability that it will finish. Let me know!

THPStock
    Participant

So I ticked both of the boxes in Licenses that say update, one is for Price one for something else (as the language used to explain it confused me a little) and it worked, it updated my existing images.

Thanks for the help.

Off topic, but another Q – how often is the processor cron job run? Or do you have to run it manually? It doesn’t seem to be running frequently, if at all without me clicking on it

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Glad it worked – as for the processor, here is some documentation on it:

http://www.symbiostock.org/docs/setting-up-the-schedulerimage-processor/

Basically, it never runs on its own because it is a ‘real’ cron job. The way WordPress works is it has a makeshift cron job that gets triggered when visitors visit your site – the reason this won’t work very well for Symbiostock is it does some heavy lifting, and it would slow down your visitor’s experience if we did it that way.

So you need to add the trigger (the code is in your Settings) to your control panel, and make it run once a minute.

THPStock
    Participant

ah great again thank you, added it to cpanel. Should have the site viewable in next week or so 🙂

THPStock
    Participant

Oh and do I remember correctly that you were going to make the self hosted video plugin available for purchase?

Also, (sorry about al the questions!) the old Symbio had a plugin for image sitemap – does the new Symbio have something similar?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The video and submitter plugins are already released – we just haven’t publicized that yet as we’re still working out some stuff with pricing and also with the Symzio beta. You can see it via the shop link at the top.

As for sitemap – the good news is you don’t need to worry about Symbiostock in that regard. You can use any SEO tool that WordPress supports for that, which will be far superior and larger in scope than what the original plugin could have provided.

One of the most popular ones is called Yoast SEO – another one is add meta tags. I am not an expert on which one is best, so I’d suggest researching as you may be married to whichever one you end up using.

And don’t worry about questions! Our goal is to help you get situated, so it’s all welcome.

Profile photo of steveh
    steveh
    Participant

It would be really great if someone with some expertise in this area could write a “how to” guide to using Yoast on our sites

Steve

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.