Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Here’s what I think is best for a healthy page:

http://www.clipartillustration.com/image/perfect-3d-sunflower-seed-arrangment-illustration/

This one is more work, but gets better results for incoming traffic:

http://www.clipartillustration.com/image/3d-rocketeer-image-ao-maru-robot-with-rocket-pack/

Profile photo of LesPalenik
    LesPalenik
    Participant

The timeline of this issue seems to match the timeline of this (very significant) change mentioned below:
    http://www.seosiren.com/new-google-humm … algorithm/
    If I’m not mistaken, isn’t the whole stock image business reporting a slowdown this last month?

Slowdown is one thing, but these charts show a drastic decline to almost zero.
    Google must have changed the search in a way that does not benefit our network.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

SO should we write complete essays on every image page? 🙂

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@Semmick Photo wrote:

SO should we write complete essays on every image page? 🙂

Thats a lot of work. I’d just write a scraper that harvests similar information from random sites and use that. Plus perhaps some popups and of course disable the back button with javascript.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

another reason to add the ability to add text to the descrption in the text editor – making it easier to add links, and descriptions that provide background to multiple images

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@lespalenik wrote:

The timeline of this issue seems to match the timeline of this (very significant) change mentioned below:
    http://www.seosiren.com/new-google-humm … algorithm/
    If I’m not mistaken, isn’t the whole stock image business reporting a slowdown this last month?

Slowdown is one thing, but these charts show a drastic decline to almost zero.
    Google must have changed the search in a way that does not benefit our network.

people are over – reacting — first, it’s only been a couple of days, and google is still working out kinks — that may be why the analytics and webmaster reports don’t agree

and there’s no reason to believe google even has an awareness of the existence of sym, much less be designing algorithms to attack sym; it’s like the newbies in msg who go crazy when they don’t make their fortune after uploading a few images to ss

better google results will ultimately mean we’ll get people who are actually looking for what we’re offering — many of my current visitors are looking for information, not images. 1000 people who don’t want to buy images aren’t as good as 5 who ARE interested.

LesPalenik
    Participant

people are over – reacting — first, it’s only been a couple of days, and google is still working out kinks

Let’s hope that it is only temporary kink in Google search – but the charts indicate a consistent decline over the last 2-3 WEEKS, not just a couple of days

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@lespalenik wrote:

people are over – reacting — first, it’s only been a couple of days, and google is still working out kinks

Let’s hope that it is only temporary kink in Google search – but the charts indicate a consistent decline over the last 2-3 WEEKS, not just a couple of days

Google hummingbird was deployed about that long ago – silently – its just the talk is out as of a few days ago. I believe this is the real issue. Nothing else has changed.

LesPalenik
    Participant

I’ll take the suggestion to write a longer text description to heart (just wrote my first story), and will work slowly on expanding the existing one line descriptions. However, back to Cathy’s question:

@cathyslife stockphotos wrote:

@leo wrote:

Basically it says it ranks rich content and contextual content over simple keyword occurrences. Google’s always been moving in this direction, but this is the FIRST big change of this nature in 12 years.

To make it simple, google is more of a statistics machine than a matching machine. The web is becoming more social, so its seeing broader contexts instead of details.

Edit:

I just realized thats not simple enough —

A picture and a sentence accompanied by 30 thumbnails on a page will have a weaker impact than say a picture with a paragraph and little else on the page.

So are you saying we should ditch the similar images on our image pages?

If I have three similar images, can I use the same story for all three images, or will Google penalize two of them?

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@lespalenik wrote:

If I have three similar images, can I use the same story for all three images, or will Google penalize two of them?

+1

Great question! I’ve wondered that too, because it often happens that I get 2-3-4 fine images of an individual bird or critter. Writing extensive, interesting, fact-filled descriptions for one image and repeating it for the others is do-able.

But coming up with a series of entirely different descriptions for multiple shots of the same bird or critter isn’t really feasible. And I’m not one to Google or go to Wiki and copy lots of text written by others. That’s plagiarism. Stealing somebody else’s words is just as wrong as stealing somebody else’s images.

So… how much are we penalized for repeating text?

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

we don’t know about repeating text…

but a separate consideration is whether it’s worth it — if we’re attracting people because of our splendid prose, they’re not likely to be picture buyers! my main emphasis is still to keep image indexing high – and it has continued high

the other traditional way to gain views is thru external links from trusted sources (ie sites google already ranks high)

LesPalenik
    Participant

It might be worthwhile to conduct a test, and see how Google works.

I will make two sets of 3 similar images (one with the identical description for all 3 similars, and one with slightly varied texts for each image). For added measure, I will duplicate this approach for a different set of 2×3 images, and after a month or so, I will report the results.

Martha, and anybody else facing this conundrum, if you want to try it with some of your images, please do so, and we will have more data to draw conclusions from.

This video from google is worth a watch, also its 2013 copyright so its up to date
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en&ref_topic=2370419

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

So basically “Content is King” while heavy cross linking, the strategy that got Symbiostock (and WordPress) well listed in the past, might now even get you punished.

Seems like we need to re-think and to re-work our strategy, doesn’t it?

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

since google doesn’t publish its alogorithms, everyone is in the dark, and the ‘don’t copy’ rule isn’t clear; seo analysts may or may not know the latest details; — all we can do is continue to search for hard data, conduct & report our own experiments and keep shooting for getting indexed

my sites are highly interlinked — 10 – 20,000 internal links (mostly from footers & headers ), but I still get most of my pages indexed. i’ll be trying to get more details from thse numbers & will report here

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 147 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.