Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

What about red and gray? That way the strawberry is happy and I don’t think it evokes the SS runes

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

I like it — I’ve never been a fan of the blue-aqua-greens that seem to dominate indoor photoshoots

Profile photo of Matt
    Matt
    Participant

I designed the different logo for Symbiostock.net for just that reason to give it a more neutral flavour and a visual graphic that represented the networked nature of the portfolio’s. Also to make it more branding friendly so it can be used in a variety of environments, clothing, multi coloured sites, web etc.

If anyone wants to run with the logo I’m happy to post up a branding pack with layered PS and Illustrator files, reverse out, mono and colour versions, watermark png etc if there is enough interest.

To answer the lack of updates on the .net site I was waiting for the Theme to settle down, search engine development and more ports to come online, which appears to be happening. I did have some thoughts on producing some marketing templates for people to use to drive their social media efforts but to be honest I’ve stalled waiting for the theme to settle first.

The .net site is a lot of work, I will update though at the next milestone 250,000 images online 🙂

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

I think all these sites should use the same logo..

maybe we should have a poll, select a color variation of the original logo, and use it everywhere..

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Honestly I would still prefer to have only one color scheme (because of better recognition) but I think it’s far better than the combination with black. It’s a good compromise in my eyes.
    Again: I don’t want to annoy Andrzej with my thoughts here and I can understand that red matches the strawberry. And: Looking at my own site today I became aware that my own logo is black and red on white … but as I don’t use the double S, I never associated anything bad with it …

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Or even something like this – but neater

Colour for the double S – purple and lilac to match my site 😀

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@matt wrote:

To answer the lack of updates on the .net site I was waiting for the Theme to settle down, search engine development and more ports to come online, which appears to be happening. I did have some thoughts on producing some marketing templates for people to use to drive their social media efforts but to be honest I’ve stalled waiting for the theme to settle first.

The .net site is a lot of work, I will update though at the next milestone 250,000 images online 🙂

Happy to hear that you still intend to work on the site, because I really like it (the site and the logo). The only thing what disturbes me a bit is that it still shows 60000 images … I think everybody should know how fast we are growing 😀

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I don’t care for the textures Christine – colors would be fine, but adding the texture just breaks ups the shapes, IMO.

Regarding color, I feel very, very strongly about having colors on my site. I will take the logo out completely if there is a requirement to adhere to a certain color.

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

So perhaps something with plain red and green – using Christine’s idea for colors, but no textures:

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

Sorry guys, I don’t want to sound harsh, but most of the suggestions are un-professional looking, design-wise..

the logo of symbiostock.org and .com is pretty good already, and without much of a change, they should be used globally..

color suggestions are ok, and we can all discuss it further..

This is only my opinion and I am trying to give constructive criticism, but incorporating photos into logos will be frowned upon even by beginner level graphic design students, let alone established designers..

I like that strawberry 😀 nothing against it.. it’s a beautiful image.. but shouldn’t be in the logo..

If Andrzej is happy with it, he has all the rights to keep it on symbiostock.info and it’s great for him.. I support that all the way.. but suggesting it for all the sites? just doesn’t work..

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Sometimes it’s good to have a break and a beer 😉
    I just realiced that I have missed some posts during the day.
    @jsnover wrote:

… Unless we enforce that everyone’s logos have to be blue/green, those colors are very strong and will clash with many other site logos. …

You are perfectly right, Jo Ann … that’s the reason why I don’t use the logo on my site (but mention symbiostock very often in text and links). I think noone should try to “enforce” anything on our network (we ARE a network, and I love that and being part of it, but I also love Leo’s approach of personal freedom on our sites) … perhaps it’s a good idea of Cihan to have a poll and end up with a set of color schemes … that might be a good compromise between freedom and brand recognition.

excursus:

@cascoly wrote:

… I agree – that was my first reaction to it also, but I figured it was just on my mind as I’ve been reading about camus’ work in the resistance …

I loved to see Camus mentioned, Steve … I like his work a lot as I like (even better) Jean-Paul Sartre … perhaps we could have a “literature corner” on this forum 😉

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@cidepix wrote:

If Andrzej is happy with it, he has all the rights to keep it on symbiostock.info and it’s great for him.. I support that all the way.. but suggesting it for all the sites? just doesn’t work..

Nobody, as far as I am aware, is suggesting the strawberry for anywhere other than the Global Search page. Andrzej had a strawberry; someone suggested the Symbiostock logo should be on there. And then things took off.

The nature of this loose network is that people are free to have site designs that other people find hideous. We can’t and probably shouldn’t enforce a single look across all sites.

However, having the Symbiostock name be known to buyers and getting some traction for the network as a whole, not just individual sites, is part of what Leo wanted to do. The logo seems to me to be a part of getting the name known.

I think, regardless of what design schools teach, that finding some way to have some network branding without having a single look for everyone is a worthwhile effort.

Perhaps we can’t agree on enough core things to make that work, but it’s worth a try.

As far as the strawberry issue goes, I think it’s less a matter of putting the strawberry into the logo as it is incorporating the Symbiostock logo into Andrzej’s Strawberry-branded site.

I put the Symbiostock logo in monochrome into my site logo. I think other people could potentially find a way to include the Symbiostock logo into parts of their sites. I think that more logo use is a good thing, even if it’s not homogenous like a large corporation would insist on.

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

Nobody, as far as I am aware, is suggesting the strawberry for anywhere other than the Global Search page. Andrzej had a strawberry; someone suggested the Symbiostock logo should be on there. And then things took off.

Sorry, I must have misread it then..

I sometimes read too quickly that I don’t pay enough attention and instead make quick assumptions in an effort to save some time 🙂

then again, my assumption wasn’t really directed at you personally.. I just felt the conversation was headed the wrong way..

just meant to post a reminder of what I think would be more productive instead of focusing on the strawberry.. 🙂

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

What is the strawberry anyway? What does it stand for? I never understood

JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I have no idea what the Strawberry signifies, but as I like the search engine and Andrzej likes the strawberry, I like the strawberry 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.