Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I just noticed that there are many different colors and logos used:

symbiostock.org: showing original logo in blue and green
    symbiostock.info: showing original logo in black and red (+strawberry)
    symbiostock.net: showing different logo in blue, orange and red
    symbiostock-facebook: using the logo of symbiostock.net
    (BTW symbiostock.net wasn’t updated for a long time … is Matthew still working on the site?)

Wouldn’t it be better to use one corporate design for all these sites?

Profile photo of sandorgora
    sandorgora
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I noticed it too in various places. I don’t mind so much for now, especially because some have invented a few cool variations (and one completely different)

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

I feel that the Symbiostock.net logo might related to the symbio part of the word but not actual Symbiostock as it does not have the interlinked SS’s. It is the double S my eye picks up on and recognises on the various sites regardless of the colour.

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

What made me posting this is the new logo on symbiostock.info in red and black on white background.
    We already (somewhere in the general section of this forum) talked about the fact that the abbreviation SS might be associated with nazi symbols. I don’t really see that problem for the original logo in green and blue, but red, black and white
    are exactly the colors of nazi flags … this is why I think that this is a problematic combination of abbreviation and colors
    (beside the fact that I think it would be better not to have to many variations for brand recognition).

Just my thoughts and definitely not intended as an affront to any of the sites mentioned above as I really appreciate all of them!

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

I agree that we should have one consistent logo and a set of acceptable colors. I’d love to see consistency, and I’ll place whichever logo we choose on the Facebook page. If the SS logo is sensitive, should we use the other? I’m unaware of which is most recent. (And I’d need an eps of the logo we’re using…the github link isn’t working for me.)

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

The double S is the Symbiostock logo – the one on .net is unique to that site I think

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

I would prefer to keep the double S (as I don’t think that the interwoven S in blue and green are really problematic) … it is just the combination with red, black and white which constitutes unpleasant associations for me.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

That’s great. Who has an eps? Github doesn’t work for me.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

See an earlier discussion about using the Symbiostock logo and concerns about it looking too similar to the sig runes of the SS

http://www.symbiostock.org/topic/39/use-of-symbiostock-logo/

The resolution I came to was to use the intertwined SS with the word symbiostock, not the SS alone.

I guess we need to make some decisions about colors, and I’d like to advocate that we permit alternate color choices rather than just the blue/green and monochrome.

I think that a coherent look for a site and its design is very important given the visual business we’re in. Unless we enforce that everyone’s logos have to be blue/green, those colors are very strong and will clash with many other site logos. I find things with a jumble of too many colors and no apparent thought to a color palette pretty hard to look at.

If Cathy’s site (just to pick an example) put the Symbiostock logo on the front page in the blue green, IMO it would look awful with her orange/navy color scheme. And I think that if she were to add the SS logo to the “part of the symbiostock network” text she already has – in orange/navy – it would (a) fit in well and (b) be instantly recognizable as part of the network.

This seems to go back to the very loose nature of the association among Symbiostock sites – I would like to see the Symbiostock logo on the front page of all the sites, but I can’t see how that can happen if we insist on a set of colors.

I would not have put the logo on my site in the original colors (and monochrome would probably fly in any event as it’s so common for people to have a monochrome version of a color logo given press or photocopying requirements)

And here’s the zip with the Branding stuff from GitHub

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12956972/SymbiostockLogos.zip

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Thanks! This folder seems to be full of header/watermakr/facebook/etc. blank templates but no Symbio logo? I’ve emailed Leo to see if he can send me an eps of the logo.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@jsfoto wrote:

I would prefer to keep the double S (as I don’t think that the interwoven S in blue and green are really problematic) … it is just the combination with red, black and white which constitutes unpleasant associations for me.

+1

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@shelma1 wrote:

Thanks! This folder seems to be full of header/watermakr/facebook/etc. blank templates but no Symbio logo? I’ve emailed Leo to see if he can send me an eps of the logo.

Sorry – I posted the wrong zip file. I’ve updated the post above.

This is the correct stuff

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12956972/SymbiostockLogos.zip

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Perfect. Thanks!

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@jsfoto wrote:

I agree – that was my first reaction to it also, but I figured it was just on my mind as I’ve been reading about camus’ work in the resistance

it’s unfortunate that the Nazis had such a powerful design sense, but those color combinations continue to connote evil (on a less disturbing level, they’re common colors for scifi and movie villains)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.