Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

Hello,
    I am developing a website for selling prints of some digital pictures, and I have been trying out your plugin, which seemed really good.

I have been using it for the last 3/4 days, and in the last update it seems like the most important feature for me has changed completely without any notice. Main problem seems to be the license system.
    It is now not possible to have a single picture that change price selecting the proper license (which I used for print size). The combo box who is supposed to hold them is empty, and only when it actually shows. (It seems like now licenses are only some attribute that shows up as additional information and do not actually change the price at all)

From what I saw, the fact that it shows or not depend on the media type of the uploaded image, which is by default variable, and not possible to modify in bulk mode, and it is really not possible to edit all pictures one by one.

Since I am writing I would like to point out that the uploader script do not work with subfolder in the ‘new’ folder (which may be a choice), but it still keep processing only 10 images at a time (while with the 1.1.2 was doing more) and I need to keep refreshing the page by hand. Is it possible to edit that script somewhere?

Thanks for your work

Giorgio

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Georgio,

Thanks for posting your queries. Let’s go through it one by one:

1) Regarding the license choice – do you mean on the product page, there are no choices showing up?

2) Version 1.2 which will be released very soon will give you the opportunity to decide how many images you want to process at a time.

Regarding #1, perhaps you should PM me your website and also your administrative login so I can see what the problem is.

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply,

1) I think I found out what the problem was. For the product to get the license pricing it must be of type Variable and the license must be shown as variant. I found out my licenses had lost their default price and resetting them solved the problem, now the product images do show the licenses with different prices.

2) Thanks, that will be very appreciated.

Since I am here I want to ask a couple of quick question to be maybe discussed on a dedicated topic if necessary:
    3) Contrary to the network-oriented aim of this plugin, I have the necessity to password-block access to the categories, as in many events where I have the pictures there are minors, and for privacy reasons only parents should be able to access and buy those pictures. Is this something that may be of interest and would be implemented as feature? or since your aim is to share and sell is it not even worth discussing?

4) In the necessary fields for buying in the checkout phase, in Italy it is mandatory to have a field for ‘Codice Fiscale’, which is the same as VAT but for private consumer, and it is necessary for the invoice. That will be an option that I will need to implement anyway, and if you think it may be of interest I can comeback to you with updates as soon as I am done (probably some days).

Thanks

Giorgio

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Hi Georgio,

I am glad the issue was resolved – there currently is an issue where if you delete a license globally it does not delete the license from the product. It then reverts that license in the product to ‘any license’. This is a WooCommerce limitation and bug, but it is fixed in the next release (1.2).

Regarding #3 and #4, we are now talking about the benefit of using WooCommerce with Symbiostock. You see, Symbiostock operates primarily through the backend. Therefore, if you want to password protect certain areas of the site, finding a plugin or WooCommerce extension for this would be the best bet.

I did a quick search, and here are two interesting options:

https://support.woothemes.com/hc/en-us/articles/202088229-How-to-Password-Protect-Product-Category-Pages

http://www.woothemes.com/products/catalog-visibility-options

The first one is a trick to keep category pages hidden, but is not a particularly secure solution. The second option forces users to log in to view stuff. Both should be completely compatible with Symbiostock.

4) Here is a plugin I just quickly found, it may work for you:

http://netstarsolution.net/woocommerce-partita-iva-codice-fiscale-free/

Basically, what I’m saying is, if you need a certain functionality in the front end, don’t hesitate to search for WooCommerce extensions that may be able to provide it. This is the glaring benefit of using Symbiostock as it is piggybacking on an already well established ecommerce platform.

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

Thank you very much,
    I didn’t consider that indeed. I will look into it now.

My first attempt would have been to use some .htaccess together with permalink that use the category as quick fix.

Thanks for the fast reply and help.

Giorgio

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

No worries Giorgio. We’ll be releasing 1.2 soon, it is a significant upgrade. In retrospect a majority of the bugs and fixes are related to more properly plugging Symbiostock into WordPress and WooCommerce.

Thanks for reaching out, and if you have time, leave us a review on WordPress. Also once your site is live, I’d love to see it in the Artist Network which we are slowly but surely building.

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

Hello, the new version came really quick 🙂
    Unfortunately it seems to have some problem right after the installation.

This warnings come up on ALL the admin pages, and it became impossible to reach the last menu items in the admin panel :

Warning: fopen(/var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/ss_media/.htaccess): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/symbiostock-init.php on line 14

Warning: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/symbiostock-init.php on line 16

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/symbiostock-init.php on line 17

Warning: fopen(/var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/ss_media/tmp/.htaccess): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/symbiostock-init.php on line 25

Warning: fwrite() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/symbiostock-init.php on line 27

Warning: fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/symbiostock/symbiostock-init.php on line 28

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

This issue seems to be unique to your server – PM me your admin password/username and url so I can check it out.

We haven’t had this issue on any of the test sites – in fact, that portion of the code hasn’t even been changed.

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

Then I will look into it myself, thanks.

I am developing in my laptop as of now, so it is not accessible from the outside.

Thanks once again for the quick reply.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

I’ve confirmed that the original release of Symbiostock 1.0 had the exact same code there that the new one does – it must have something to do with your server, or some change implemented. Did you move directories or change permissions of directories or something?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Basically that code attempts to create the .htaccess file for your media directory so no one else can access it. If that directory’s user permissions have changed, or an .htaccess file has been put there that is not writable, this error will occur.

Mind you, you can disable the warnings and it will still work fine. This is just a security measure that Symbiostock employs to make sure your files are not publicly accessible.

Profile photo of Giorgio
    Giorgio
    Participant

It seems it failed to create the ss_media dir. Since i am in localhost I will now change the permission of the base folder, where before I only changed them for the wp-content folder.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Yeah, permission errors are kind of hit and miss. Most WordPress stuff tries to work with what’s there, but if there is a permission error then there’s nothing the plugin can do. It’s a security thing on your server. Changing the permissions should definitely fix it.

Symbiostock checks those core folders with every admin page load to ensure they exist.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

And yes, it installs ss_media in your base wordpress install folder – not the wp-content one.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Let me know once it is resolved.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.