Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of rolfo
    rolfo
    Participant

There is a very easy solution to get more people into Symbiostock – Give Symbiostock Agencies capacity!

If we have the possibilities to invite non-self-hosting-artists to join our site ( in a more classic agency way but with way better conditions for the artists) we could grow much faster.
    There will always been artist which doesn’t want self-host regardless how easy we make it.
    For example I a have niche-Symbiostock which hosts only regional content from my home area, I could invite other photographers from my area to host their regional content on my site.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@rolfo wrote:

There is a very easy solution to get more people into Symbiostock – Give Symbiostock Agencies capacity!

If we have the possibilities to invite non-self-hosting-artists to join our site ( in a more classic agency way but with way better conditions for the artists) we could grow much faster.

Well, IMHO it is not so easy as “Give SYM agencies capacity!”, it will be the same as all other agencies. You will have hosts costs, therefore will have to charge a “high” commission, worry about payouts, files stored, and all other issues. I agree that a lot of people won’t fit due not self-hosting, but I don’t think SYM should be an agency to host all photographers, but I would say Give Symbiostock Agencies capacity! in the Symbiostock.com page as an agency look and capacity for searching images among the network and so on. Regarding your neighborhoods, maybe you can host them into your SYM as another user and charge them a percentual and manage all payouts and so on. If I’m not wrong SYM you get to add other authors. ;0)

Profile photo of rolfo
    rolfo
    Participant

I really believe that it would be very different! We all have the same background we are individuals with feelings and long-term strategies in opposite to the soulless corporate-owned agencies with short-term strategies.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

iagree it would be helpful to allow multiple people to submit to one site

It doesn’t need to be ‘agency capacity’ — it could be done within the existing system if we can modify the user abilities

what needs to be done is to give ‘authors’ the same sort of privileges they have for their posts & pages — ie they can eidt theirs, but not others.

so, if artists/authors could only access their own images here’s how it would work:

new user applies and site owner sets them up as ‘author’, using whatever agreement they want to use

user then uploads and publishes their images, which are all treated as one sym site for networking purposes
    site owner is responsible for tracking sales & making appropriate payments

LEO —
    1. can this be done?? — ie, give artists the ability to use the image upload & processing features but nothing else in admin.

2. can each author’s name somehow be added to the image??

if not for 2, then a kludge would be to assign each author a specific tag that would be entered with other keywords

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Right now there are no sales reporting mechanisms or stats in Symbiostock. If there were to be a version that allowed an artist to start a collective – very much like WarmPicture I assume – there would have to be a way to identify which artist made the sale and a way to make a list of all sales and prices/royalties for that sale.

Do you think that WordPress Multi Site might help make this sort of thing possible?

http://mashable.com/2012/07/26/beginner-guide-wordpress-multisite/

http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-multisite-guide/

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@joannsnover wrote:

Right now there are no sales reporting mechanisms or stats in Symbiostock. If there were to be a version that allowed an artist to start a collective – very much like WarmPicture I assume – there would have to be a way to identify which artist made the sale and a way to make a list of all sales and prices/royalties for that sale.

first, wold be easier if we could keep it within WP functions — making artists the equivalent of the author-user types and giving them access to upload their images, and perhaps read only access to cart stats

at its simplest, there would be only one price list abd preset licenses (after all, this is for people wh don’t want to deal with hassles like pricing, licensing, etc, etc). with the cart data, royalties would be easy to do — details would be worked out between the site owner and the artists, not dictated by any symbiostock org. it’s conceptually no different from any agency where there is only the info that the agency decides to make available and artists agree to participate

if we can make the user types work that would give us a simple functioning system and more elaborate systems could be designed later

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

just took a quick look at wp-multi site and looks like it’s the wrong way to go — it just pushes the complexity of setup one layer deeper — each artist would then need to setup pricing, categories, help pages, licensing, etc, etc – precisely the reasons some people are avoiding sym in the first place!

we need a very simple way for artists to do a very limited number of tasks:

upload images
    process images
    publish images (these last 2 could even be combined)

that’s it — everything else would be handled by the site admin

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.