Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

If you look at the success stories of things like Google, Facebook, Twitter — you can see that exceptional ideas do not need promotion, as they tend to gather their own popularity.

So if we could come up with an idea that you (or others) could build as a social platform for pictures – a sort of legal pin-interest for stock suppliers and users that would be a way to go ?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

…those who can’t take the time to learn the minimal amount of web design to run wp & sym are not likely to jump at the new sym either —

I agree, and would add, those who can’t take the time to learn the minimal amount of web design to run wp & sym use agencies to upload their images as we also do. ;0)

high priority would be to document the current system so that we can really make this an open source project where other developers can contribute

IMHO, I don’t think Leo should expend time on it as high priority. Maybe Leo would place a poll with intended changes/fix priority to be done and menbers would vote for priority. ;0) Maybe for those interested in open project (developers) would use the forum Development where Leo would follow when needed.

@leo wrote:

…I’ve decided to continue developing this version and refining it continuously.

Great good to know.

When things are set, I’m going to make a simple-symbio which is cloud based. It would be as wordpress.com is to wordpress.org — a simple, limited solution to those who “want something handed to them”. As things work out, it might just fund this part of Symbio which is more a more driven audience, and more independent.

– I think it needs a better research if it is really needed or if it is really what photographers want. Ok, if you think like a “facebook” system where anyone can use if no programming, wp, plugins knowledge needed.

… If you look at the success stories of things like Google, Facebook, Twitter — you can see that exceptional ideas do not need promotion, as they tend to gather their own popularity.

I think you have already an amazing idea the SYM network (photographers network to sell their images into their own site). Well, I bet these success companies had some kind of adv or promotion to spread it. I remember receiving invite or something like that through email mkt and so on.

Well, just changing some thoughts. ;0) Have a nice Sunday guys.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@christine wrote:

If you look at the success stories of things like Google, Facebook, Twitter — you can see that exceptional ideas do not need promotion, as they tend to gather their own popularity.

So if we could come up with an idea that you (or others) could build as a social platform for pictures – a sort of legal pin-interest for stock suppliers and users that would be a way to go ?

I respectfully disagree. Sure, great ideas can gather their own momentum. But far more great ideas fail. Remember yahoo? Ask Mr. Jeeves? MySpace? Apple nearly failed before they brought Jobs back aboard to aggressively micro and macro manage it into the world’s biggest brand, with help from one of the world’s most creative ad agencies. Even now, though Macs are far better computers than PCs, that portion of the company still has a very small market share.

Just reading recent posts, the people who are getting sales with their Symbiostock sites are marketing them. Leo did a huge amount of work getting his site noticed. Redneck is using paid advertising to promote his site (so am I).

I remember when Snapple was a little independent brand of fruit juice sold in stores in Soho–until they got the ad agency I was working at (in Soho) to do a wacky TV campaign for them. Now they’re a huge brand.

Sure, things can absolutey gather momentum. But they do need marketing in one form or another.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

Even iStockphoto closed iStockphoto PRO

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

@leo wrote:

I’ve decided to continue developing this version and refining it continuously — keeping it perfect and up to date. Tuesday – Friday I’d like to pull a lot of all-day-ers to fix all the bugs possible.

When things are set, I’m going to make a simple-symbio which is cloud based. It would be as wordpress.com is to wordpress.org — a simple, limited solution to those who “want something handed to them”. As things work out, it might just fund this part of Symbio which is more a more driven audience, and more independent.

Very good decision. That’s the way to go, IMO.

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@christine wrote:

I was thinking along those lines too — maybe a separate site that would let users upload images on one account – managed by an individual who would handle the hassles of mini-payments; while this wouldn’t generate a lot of sales, it could generate a lot of word of mouth

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

……… or advertising revenue?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

This thread is one of the more useful of all the “Development” threads! Its certainly helping our sense of direction.

One thing I believe is paramount: A HUGE amount of participation. This forum software, for instance, is among the best of its kind, one of the older and dynamic softwares available.

Symbiostock’s original spirit was a co-op, where everyone has a well-rounded skillset, a product, and a particular thing they excel in (code, community management, social networking, etc). If we keep this moving forward and greatly nurture it, its possibly this one of its under-appreciated strengths that will solve many issues of exposure in the future.

On that note, if there are any more forums needed here, which will be useful and aid progress, please let me know. One thing that stunted our growth — Symbiostock was experiencing near-expotential growth as it was reflected in the way it took over MSG. Once the nay-sayers one out, and stifled Symbiostock, it was necessary to create this forum, and then the inevitable decline in growth happened.

It does show, however, that Symbiostock is already hugely social, and thats a huge part of its growth. So I present this too as something worth exploiting. My intention with the TWITTER INTEGRATION was to make a complete interface to all-things-Symbiostock happening on Twitter. If I can put this into the premium version it will also have some good effects.

Anyway, keep the brainstorming going. It appears I’m getting my energy back these months! 😉

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

Coming back from my weekend, I was a bit shocked by your announcement, Leo. But I’m glad you listened to the community 🙂 . Like most others I would really appreciate to see the current system been finished before we start something new. A bit of bug-fixing, some optional features (like the extended registration for European users) and attracting buyers is what seems to be most important at this moment.

Profile photo of StockCube
    StockCube
    Participant

Hi Leo – I too have been away for a few days and am relieved to hear that you will not be starting afresh just yet.

This may already have been covered elsewhere, but to my mind one of the biggest drawbacks of our network is the need for buyers to register for each separate site in order to buy images. If I was a buyer that would put me off for sure. If there was some way for the registration part to be valid network-wide then that would be amazing.

Regarding attracting more people to the network – I think the MSG earnings leader board will do that once people start to report their sales there.

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

I always get a little scared when I see these “starting from scratch/trashing it all” threads that pop up occasionally.

We need to give Symbiostock in its current form time to grow and develop. There are plenty of bugs (big and small, mentioned in various threads) that really need ironing out. It may not be fun, but it needs to happen.

I really do thank you Leo for all that you have done. It is amazing to say the least. Please please please keep plugging away at it and fixing up the remaining bugs and then adding the most requested features, before looking to re-make the whole thing.

That’s my 2cents anyway… 😉

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@thp wrote:

I always get a little scared when I see these “starting from scratch/trashing it all” threads that pop up occasionally.

Amen.

To be honest, I suspect suggestions that we’re about to toss out everything we’ve spent so much effort building and charge off in a new direction (no matter how new and sexy, technology-wise) are harmful to the network. They certainly can’t be very encouraging to those either just starting out or still thinking about it.

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

I somehow suspect that Leo deliberately places a bomb topic like this once in a while to provoke and spark discussion 😉 . He does that very successfully I must say 😀 .

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

I somehow suspect that Leo deliberately places a bomb topic like this once in a while to provoke and spark discussion 😉 . He does that very successfully I must say 😀 .

Yes, that may be his diabolical plan to keep our attention focused on this forum. My point is just that it’s hard enough to build something like this without potential contributors to the network being artificially discouraged by our fearless leader. 😈

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@marthamarks wrote:

Amen.

To be honest, I suspect suggestions that we’re about to toss out everything we’ve spent so much effort building and charge off in a new direction (no matter how new and sexy, technology-wise) are harmful to the network. They certainly can’t be very encouraging to those either just starting out or still thinking about it.

I agree, Martha. It’s discouraging for those who think about joining the network and for those who have already invested months of work …
    Leo, I hope those words aren’t discouraging for you, but I think it’s good for you to see what happens in our heads ( or hearts 🙂 )

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.