Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

definitely recommend imagemagick, but requiring it would be a mistake — you’re risking the reputation of symbiostock on the config and tech support of various host services — when some newbie can’t install sym because IM isnt immediately availablo them, they’re going to blame the sym system!

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I figured I’d toss in a little update – development level stuff, but still fun to know –

I’m well along on the “product” system. Unlike the former version (which everyone is using) every product ends up being a self-contained “object”.

An object can be a variable, function, or data structure. In the object-oriented programming paradigm, “object” refers to a particular instance of a class where the object can be a combination of variables, functions, and data structures.
    Object (computer science) – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_(computer_science)
    Wikipedia

Its highly abstracted so that it can be extended to sell any sort of product and allow any sort of delivery.

The developer documentation is also coming out wonderful, and I’m simultaneously writing it in such a way that most average “hackers” (aren’t we all?) can find their way easily through the documentation to hack away and even create new features.

Unlike the former system which relies on a plugin such as “wp super cache” this is going to write it’s own objects to disk in the form of a json file, which will be a mirror image of the actual product. So when a product is delivered it will first check the json cache, and if it is there it will utilize it — otherwise it will do a database fetch.

What this means with all considered is lightning fast pages independent of performance plugins.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Are these “happy update” announcements making people happy?

😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂

More progress! So far so good. I don’t have much to report than the base-product system is almost done.

Honestly I hope all of this work is good for at least 5 years, can be expanded on easily, etc, and becomes one of the standard downloadable product cart options that wordpressers use.

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀 😀

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Oh yesss, they do 😀 😀 😀

Profile photo of simi
    simi
    Participant

@leo wrote:

😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂 😀 🙂

More progress! So far so good. I don’t have much to report than the base-product system is almost done.

Honestly I hope all of this work is good for at least 5 years, can be expanded on easily, etc, and becomes one of the standard downloadable product cart options that wordpressers use.

Awesome .. Thank you very much Leo.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Yes, I too am happy. If you’re happy, Leo, we’re all happy! 😛

I will confess to being bewildered by everything you’ve described. But then, if I understood it, the new system probably would’t be very exciting to you or anybody else.

So… I’ll bide my time, keep uploading to my site, and look forward to an even-newer, even-better, and even-happier Symbiostock.

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

I usually prefer not to fix things unless they are broken 🙂 so I am stuck with v. 3.3.2

but progress and moving forward is also a must..

is there anything important we need to keep in mind when updating from 3.3.2 to 3.3.4?

haven’t read the forums in a while and I don’t want to mess things up just because I didn’t update properly 🙂

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Here’s another random thought to break the awkward silence –

This version of Symbiostock literally runs around the idea of the “hub” sites.

So…you already have a version of Symbiostock. Would you submit your stuff (in addition) to a co-op site? Such as cascoly’s?

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@cidepix wrote:

I usually prefer not to fix things unless they are broken 🙂 so I am stuck with v. 3.3.2

but progress and moving forward is also a must..

is there anything important we need to keep in mind when updating from 3.3.2 to 3.3.4?

haven’t read the forums in a while and I don’t want to mess things up just because I didn’t update properly 🙂

I’d sit pretty for now. The new version is literally a new version. Its going to go through testing extensively and then before conversion it will have a perfected “converter” script… before you get your new site running on it, you’d have plenty of time to see it in action.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I don’t know why I’d submit to a co-op unless I dropped my own site. And I have agencies like Shutterstock if I’m looking for broader exposure for smaller share of the proceeds.

I like the notion of being able to search the whole symbiostock network easily – so if anything new can be searched along with the existing sites as if it were one network, I’d be happy.

It depends on whether I believed the “old” Symbiostock sites were viable or not in the “new” setting.

That’s a great big “it depends” 🙂

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

I don’t know why I’d submit to a co-op unless I dropped my own site.

+1

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback guys. Regardless its going to install as a stand-alone site unless someone actually sets up a multi-site environment.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

I don’t know why I’d submit to a co-op unless I dropped my own site.

Nor me. The biggest plus for me about Symbiostock was the ability to go independent and move away from agencies. Like others I dont always understand what you are doing but unless central hubs did some form of advertising or self publication with the money (I assume we would have to pay them ) I do not understand the benefits?

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Co-ops will have their own advantages mostly which cater to the customer. Mostly they will exist for those incapable of running their own site.

Anyway – a new happy thought –

I managed to crack Adobe sRGB. I’ve been watermarking Joanne’s poor cat all day. Finally We’ve gotten a nice un-altered, true color watermarked preview. Even better – its done within the constraints of imagick.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.