Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Anonymous
    Anonymous
    Participant

I took a look at the code written for the preview that you get if you click on the magnifier icon in the top left corner of a thumbnail as I was thinking that if that code worked on hover over the icon and dismissed the preview when you move away it would be ideal.

I want to get rid of SYXtra as it is apparently no longer maintained and doesn’t work correctly with the newest versions.

I really, really don’t like the cllick to preview though. It discourages browsing IMO because it slows down the process of looking at the details of a set of search results – two clicks to look at everything vs. just sliding your mouse around.

jQuery’s being used both by SYXtra and by Symbiostock to handle the hover/click/ events, and there’s already some code in SYXtra to handle a timer (I lengthened it on mine to make the hover previews less jerky if you moved quickly over images) which I’m sure we could use if we asked nicely.

Given all of that, what are the issues that led to the current preview being modal (which was clearly intentional from all the naming of things as modal in the code)? I’d be willing to take a stab at trying to make that change but wonder what the full story is.

And it could even be optional if there are some people who prefer the click to preview we currently have.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@jsnover wrote:

I want to get rid of SYXtra as it is apparently no longer maintained and doesn’t work correctly with the newest versions.

I really, really don’t like the cllick to preview though. It discourages browsing IMO because it slows down the process of looking at the details of a set of search results – two clicks to look at everything vs. just sliding your mouse around.

I’m with you on both issues. I’ve still got SYXtra installed on my site for one feature that I like and I know still works: the visit counter. Could we get that feature built into SYS? (If it’s there already, I’m not aware of it.)

And yes, we really need some sort of zoom on hover, as you describe.

Leo, you’ve performed almost every other kind of miracle we could want. Can you find it in your heart to provide those two wonderful features? Thanks in advance if you can!

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

I’m not sure where Plrang has been! Maybe he’s burned out from developing? I can only relate! Before I rip off his code I’d like to be sure that:

A: He’s definitely not going to continue the plugin
    B: I’ve had a fairly decent break from a nicely tuned Symbiostock before adding more features.

Modals are extremely important! When you network, it allows people to see images BEFORE they jump off your site. Its a convenience for the customer. I use them almost all the time when viewing people’s sites.

Also people with slow browsers benefit as well, having to do less work.

Profile photo of SemmickPhoto
    SemmickPhoto
    Participant

+1 to Jo Ann

I have pointed Art to the discussion about the previews via Facebook and Twitter but he hasnt responded but I know he has seen the message. I have also seen him active on Twitter so he is doing something. I have no idea why he is no longer active on the boards. Same as Amanda? Maybe they are just busy with photography?

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

When I mentioned “visit counter” I meant the “view count” that appears on each of my image pages. I really do like that feature and will keep SYXtra installed just for that if I must.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

@leo wrote:

Modals are extremely important! When you network, it allows people to see images BEFORE they jump off your site. Its a convenience for the customer. I use them almost all the time when viewing people’s sites..

I must be missing something, but I don’t see any difference in terms of leaving a site or not of having the preview appear when you click on a magnifier or when you hover over it – the same things happen either way, it’s just how you trigger and dismiss the preview window.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.