Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

This is an important thread. Please discuss and agree on features you’d like to REMOVE in the new version of Symbiostock.

Features that are useless to you, get in the way, or cause trouble. Be sure to speak up.

I will be referencing this thread and keeping a list that way we do not miss any important features in the Improved/Cloud version.

If any moderators could help me update the list that would be wonderful.

Profile photo of shotupdave
    shotupdave
    Participant

The only thing I can really think of that could be removed is the up loader feature. Most of us are quite familiar on how to FTP our files to a location. This is not a criticism of the feature but just one that is not really needed in my opinion

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

Things I’d get rid of:

– The RSS feed on Categories
    – The author description on the image pages (just the name with the necessary tags for making copyright ownership clear) – name linking to the About page is fine
    – Limits on # of network partners (have as many as you want)
    – The Symbiostock Community link on image pages
    – icons in front of headings (keywords, categories, similar images, logout – everywhere)
    – cart manager (perhaps I don’t know how to use it?)

(I’ll come back and edit if I think of others)

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

Things I’d get rid of:

– The author description on the image pages (just the name with the necessary tags for making copyright ownership clear) – name linking to the About page is fine
    – icons in front of headings (keywords, categories, similar images, logout – everywhere)

+1 to all that!

Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Could remove dublin core
    Remove auto-create of categories on theme install (or add popup window “yes?/No?”)
    Remove big grey Symbio box in the Network page template : http://thpstockphotos.com/symbiostock-network-directory/

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of scenicoregon
    scenicoregon
    Participant

All the previous mentioned, except I don’t know what the “dublin core is”, and I’ve not used the cart manager so no opinion on that. My adds to take away:
    -all the Symbiostock network/news stuff that a customer won’t care about, specifically on the image pages (already mentioned)
    -the twitter and facebook icons that show up in the footer with Leo’s credits– don’t mind giving him credit, but those icons there make it seem like that ‘s how to get ahold of me, not Leo
    -can we lose the finickyness of the image processor?
    -the slowness of searches and page-loading
    -that customers have no way of editing their user profiles? Am I missing something here?
    -that the exclusivity default has never worked
    -That a header image can never be made as wide as the header menu bar– it is automatically sized down to a size that is shorter

hmmmm, this is really very hard
    Rick

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

You all rock. I’ll be paying attention 😀 thanks for the effort so far.

Profile photo of marthamarks
    marthamarks
    Participant

Add me to the list of those who don’ t know what a “Dublin Core” is or what the “Cart Manager” is all about.

There isn’t much about Symbiostock that I don’t like, but (as I said above) I do agree with the items on Jo Ann’s list.

Here are a few other ideas for improvement (and I may come back with more):

1. The “new” zoom feature is much better than the original was, but I still have problems with it opening up halfway off my pages or expanding into a large gray box that somehow sticks to the side of the browser window and won’t close even when I move my cursor away. Does anybody else see this happen?

2. I still miss the capacity we had early on to rank our images 1-2-3 and have the best ones show up at the top of a page. Any chance to get that back in the “cloud” version?

3. I have kept the old SYXtra plugin active for one simple thing: the view counter for each image page. Sure would be nice if that could be built into SYS so we wouldn’t have to depend on an outdated plugin forever just to have that one sweet feature.

4. Every time I update to a new version of SYS, I have to go into the guts of the system and restore some tweaks that I made six month or more ago. It’s challenging for me even to navigate to the right place to change the code. Although I’ve done it several times now, I just dread having to do it again, and on several occasions it has made me slow to upgrade. Can anything be done to make that kind of tinkering easier for us non-programmers?

Thanks, Leo, for everything you and others are doing now to make this an even more phenomenal product!

Profile photo of dp69_2001
    dp69_2001
    Participant

@scenicoregon wrote:

All the previous mentioned, except I don’t know what the “dublin core is”, and I’ve not used the cart manager so no opinion on that. My adds to take away:
    -all the Symbiostock network/news stuff that a customer won’t care about, specifically on the image pages (already mentioned)
    -the twitter and facebook icons that show up in the footer with Leo’s credits– don’t mind giving him credit, but those icons there make it seem like that ‘s how to get ahold of me, not Leo
    -that customers have no way of editing their user profiles? Am I missing something here?
    -That a header image can never be made as wide as the header menu bar– it is automatically sized down to a size that is shorter

Rick

You do have the ability to force the header image. Personally, the stupid cart manager has never worked for me. I enable it and it is disabled again within minutes.

I could do without process images, just sending them to drafts … or having the keywording and categories part of process images and then sending them to published. It’s just a redundant time waster to have both. I can’t figure out how to hide just the image # above the pricing options. But, I could just be slightly retarded.

I think coupon codes are something that has come up repeatedly over the year. So, I’m sure people would like that.

Otherwise, I haven’t really played around with my site much lately. I’d love for it to look more “stockish” but I’ve been trying to focus on actually getting content and hopefully sales. This is definitely exciting to be involved in. Anything that can increase the speed and usability of the sites you can hack out of there in my opinion. 😉

Profile photo of KLSbear
    KLSbear
    Participant

This one is kind of a Love/Hate options – I like featuring my network partners in the search but PLEASE give us the option to turn the scrolling on or off, or just eliminate the scrolling completely.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

@dp69_2001 wrote:

@scenicoregon wrote:

Rick

You do have the ability to force the header image. Personally, the stupid cart manager has never worked for me. I enable it and it is disabled again within minutes.

I could do without process images, just sending them to drafts … or having the keywording and categories part of process images and then sending them to published. It’s just a redundant time waster to have both. I can’t figure out how to hide just the image # above the pricing options. But, I could just be slightly retarded.

I think coupon codes are something that has come up repeatedly over the year. So, I’m sure people would like that.

Otherwise, I haven’t really played around with my site much lately. I’d love for it to look more “stockish” but I’ve been trying to focus on actually getting content and hopefully sales. This is definitely exciting to be involved in. Anything that can increase the speed and usability of the sites you can hack out of there in my opinion. 😉

You won’t be let down. 😀

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

Things I’d get rid of:

– I support Jo Anns list, the only exception for me ist the cart manager: I think it is very helpful for customer relations.
    – I would like to see a view counter (in the back end, not on single image pages (it should be an information for the image owner not for customers)
    – The most important point in my eyes is the missing VAT-information during the registration.

I guess it’s a good idea to make many things optional (like the icons in front of the headings … I have removed them, but others might love it).

Great to hear you are working on a refined version, Leo 🙂

Profile photo of sandorgora
    sandorgora
    Participant

i’m following the above mentioned, also in the other thread of the most liked things.

one thing i like least, is that paypall is the only way to buy an image;
    it should be nice if there was an easy way for buying on account;
    i mention that in my FAQ, but an “on account button” at the imagepage would be nice;
    the button should activate a custumerform to fill in firmname, adress, vatnumber, etc, all things needed for sending a bill to a buyer.

success with your working on it, Leo

Profile photo of JoRodrigues
    JoRodrigues
    Participant

I’ve mostly just been reading these days. Seems like so much has changed and I think a lot of people now just take a back seat. Anyway, here are some of my thoughts.

I’d hate to think that things are just going to be removed because no one speaks up — or remembers about them until it is too late. As mentioned on another thread, a list as to what will be removed is good so we can speak up about it before hand.

What I don’t like about the theme is that you cannot set the size of the previews. I’m of the opinion that I wouldn’t buy an image I cannot view properly. 590×391 is tiny. Yes I know everyone is ‘scared to death’ that some one is going to steal your images. I’m not that easily frightened and it would be great to provide a way to set your own image preview size.

I can’t think of anything else so far so I’m going back to reading ….

Jo

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

@joannsnover wrote:

Things I’d get rid of:

would definitely keep the red ones.. cart manager is a wonderful feature.. I use it all the time..

the only thing about cart manager is that it should be improved..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.