Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of homie107
    homie107
    Participant

Hi everyone.

I want to create a stock photography site. Have been doing tones of research on which themes and what plugins to use when i stumbled across SY.
    Love the idea, but there are a few questions i have.

-is it possible to not have users registers before purchasing?
    -can i used easydigitaldownload plugin?
    -are there any links to see what the different theme layout options are for SY. I have been looking at most of the SY sites and they all look pretty similar.
    -is anyone using hostgator and if so, any issues so far??

let me know thanks.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

You can see the choices available with Dragonfly (free child theme that comes with Symbiostock) here:

http://bootswatch.com/

My site is based on Slate, but doesn’t look anything like it because I customized the look a bit. You can see how that’s done here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=390&start=15#p10507

Regarding the first two questions, I won’t repeat my answers on MSG – let’s see if anyone else has tried to incorporate that plugin. I very much doubt that anyone has though as there’s been quite a bit of discussion over issues surrounding logins and no one has ever mentioned it.

homie107
    Participant

thanks for the quick response JoAnn.
    the different child themes in bootstrap only off different font and color, but the overall layout is the same. are there any paid child themes i can choose from. Basically, I want the left aligned side bar menu. maybe a full page side show as home page.

The reason why I am asking about easydigitaldownload and no registered purchases is because i want my customers to select and pay with as few steps as possible.

thanks

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Hello, and welcome! Its nice to see Symbiostock has been finding it’s way around outside of the microstocker crowd, but generally the users are not happy and there is much trouble lately due to the development lagging the expotentially increasing expectations.

A woman named Cathy ( http://cathyslifestockphotos.com/ ) switched over to photocrati ( http://www.photocrati.com/ ) and seems quite happy.

This project will only be loosely supported for years to come, so you may wish to avoid getting heavily invested in it.

homie107
    Participant

Leo
    I don’t understand.. are you suggesting new users not to use SY???

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

Cathy might have switched and now be happy with her new site but it does not offer the options that symbiostock does for networking and the mostly positive and supportive community we have here. A year ago it only existed as an idea in Leo’s head, look how far it has come since then, I think this is an amazing project.

To the OP, you can probably edit it to how you want ifyou have the coding skills but with the base similarities it means that clients moving around the network can easily navigate the sites without having to hunt for differing links. I use a ‘blank’child theme to make changes where I cannot get them within the theme

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of rolfo
    rolfo
    Participant

Cathys site isn’t responsive major drawback compared to any Symbiosite. Christine already explained the missing network possibilities. The loupe is nice but the rest leaves me pretty unimpressed Symbiostock is a lot better and free.

Profile photo of Ezeepics
    Ezeepics
    Participant

Symbiostock is 100% better. And is growing each day.

Profile photo of JoAnnSnover
    JoAnnSnover
    Participant

I think Leo was having a bad evening yesterday, and I think it’s worth remembering that the project is open source, so everything you see right now in the 170+ sites is “safe” in any event because all the code is available to all of us.

There were a number of things about the theme Cathy migrated to that I didn’t much care for, but we’re all independent artists and can choose PhotoShelter, kTools or other WP themes.

If you’re Sean Locke, you have a Symbiostock site and a PhotoShelter store (and he used to have a kTools site but chose not to build on that once he left iStock exclusivity).

There’s plenty of room for lots of options, but I think AJT’s global search of all of our sites really drives home why Symbiostock is a good way to go if you want to host your own sales platform

Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

@leo wrote:

… but generally the users are not happy …

I guess Leo just mistyped one word: …it should read “…generally the users are very happy…” – Just browse this forum and you’ll see.

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

@leo wrote:

… but generally the users are not happy …

I guess Leo just mistyped one word: …it should read “…generally the users are very happy…” – Just browse this forum and you’ll see.

+ 1

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Ezeepics
    Participant

I have two Symbiostock sites and a Photoshelter store. To tell the truth I liked better Photoshelter how it was before, in the Classic version. The Beam version I like so much the layout but you cannot do much with that site. They not allow you to customize many things.
    But Symbiostock is really great! Is the unique platform who allows you to customize how you want and is work just great! That’s why Leo don’t fall in depression and continue to do your work because is brilliant! I will sustain you always because you gave me the possibility to have a great site. 😉

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

another major reason for using sym rather than smugmug (which I just dropped after several years) is that less than 10% of my smugmug images ever got indexed by google — but with symbiostock about 70% were indexed almost immediately (they still compete against my images in the ms agencies)

Ezeepics
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

another major reason for using sym rather than smugmug (which I just dropped after several years) is that less than 10% of my smugmug images ever got indexed by google — but with symbiostock about 70% were indexed almost immediately (they still compete against my images in the ms agencies)

Right, I completely agree.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.