Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kennykiernan
    kennykiernan
    Participant

Hey guys – I’m very excited that after tidying up a bunch of details this week, my new shop Clipartman.com should be finally going live this weekend!

I’ve picked up some good tips from George and Robin in these marketing posts. I’m going to activate Symzio. But I’m looking for tips regarding Webmaster Tools and submitting to search engines.

I’ve set up a bunch of websites over the years and know that you’re supposed to activate Webmaster Tools for Google and Bing to get indexed there, and you’re supposed to submit to all the search engines, and I’ve done that successfully in the past. But I’m pretty sure the way I’ve done it is not the smartest or more efficient way, and it seems to me from my research that Webmaster Tools is talked about like it’s this Very Important Thing, but I don’t really know what it does and don’t know how to take advantage of its supposedly powerful capabilities – can you guys enlighten me? More specifically:

1. Submitting to search engines: In the past I’ve used a few different sites that claim to submit your site to many search engines for you after you fill out a few fields, but these services seem like the kind of thing that can be a scam or easily abused, and I started receiving spam emails in the past after doing this. Is there an acknowledged legitimate FREE service out there that yore aware of that will efficiently submit all necessary info to all the important search engines in one go, and not screw me somehow?

2. Webmaster Tools – I know how to sign up and get verified, but what am I supposed to do with this after that? All I know is that this helps your site get indexed by Google and Bing, which I understand is in fact Very Important. But how often am I supposed to do this and how do I speed up this process?

Also there seem to be other Webmaster Tools functions that we’re supposed to take advantage of like web crawlers, etc. but I don’t know what’s the benefit or if these things are relevant for an commerce site selling clipart & vector graphics.

Can you clarify and/or point me to some resources that are relevant to us as Symbiostockers, so I can MAXIMIZE my efforts by developing ninja Webmaster Tools skills?

thank you!!

Kenny Kiernan
    https://www.clipartman.com

Profile photo of Andre
    Andre
    Participant

Webmaster Tools – you can use it to measure how the site is performing. You don’t have to though. Your site will get indexed by Google anyway. Submit the URL to Google and they will eventually start crawling it. A sitemap might help pointing the crawler in the right directions.

Personally, I don’t use webmaster tools anymore. Submit your site to Google, Bing/Yahoo, DuckDuckGo and Yandex to speed up the process a little bit but sooner or later they will find you anyway. I do believe that many people hope to get more out of these tools than the time spent setting them up and monitoring them is worth.

Profile photo of kennykiernan
    kennykiernan
    Participant

Thanks Andre! That’s very interesting about WT not seemig like such a big deal now.

Can I ask you to share then, are you a big Google Analytics user? How do you monitor your site’s performance? Any personal tips on best practices for ecommerce in 2016-2017?

Kenny Kiernan
    https://www.clipartman.com

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.