Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Imago Borealis
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

The daily tweet from the twitter queue is a great feature and since version 1.4.9 of the prof plugin it works flawlessly for me. Great!

Now following this post http://www.symbiostock.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=1201 I thought I just tweet a few extra images only to find that “Tweet selected images” doesn’t work as expected. It tweets allright but I can’t add any hashtags. with ‘#’ or without, separated by “,” or just space, even one single hashtag only, nothing works, my tweets appear without any hashtags at all 🙁

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant
    Imago Borealis
    Participant

Thanks Leo. I just installed the plugin version 1.5.0. Now tweeting an image with “Tweet selected images” doesn’t work at all (with hashtags or without). I get “Google shortned URL missing. Aborting…” for a response. Daily tweet doesn’t work either. Images just remain in the queue, nothing gets sent. No error_log entry this time, though.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Thank you for telling me. I’ll check it out right away. its possible the Google API is not recognizing things from your site for reasons of limitations. I’ll fix it asap.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

Fixed it! I found the problem.

I have it set up that if google doesn’t return a shortened link it aborts (that way you don’t post an orphan image to twitter)

I’m just going to find out what was causing it to give a false negative and then re-upload. Other than that it should work great and you’ll enjoy the changes.

Profile photo of Leo
    Leo
    Participant

FIXED you should be set now.

Imago Borealis
    Participant

I just tried with the following code segment in lib/twitter-manager/functions.php removed

//START Google Link Shortner Magic :D

$key = 'AIzaSyBVDPmOs_Hmzg7rnA_M1-xuOPxQQMJs6y4';

$short_url = new ss_GoogleURLAPI($key);

$backlink = $short_url->shorten($backlink);

//we don't post without backlinks! So check first...
    if(empty($backlink) || $backlink == false || $backlink == 0){
    echo 'Google shortned URL missing. Aborting...';
    return false;
    }

//END Doing Google Link Shortener Magic

and it works fine. Titles get shortened, hashtags get generated from tags/keywords mixed in with manually entered ones, all shortened if too long. Just see me most recent couple tweets https://twitter.com/imagoborealis. So I am not sure what the Google Link Shortener Magic is actually good for 😀

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

I just tried with the following code segment in lib/twitter-manager/functions.php removed

//START Google Link Shortner Magic :D

$key = 'AIzaSyBVDPmOs_Hmzg7rnA_M1-xuOPxQQMJs6y4';

$short_url = new ss_GoogleURLAPI($key);

$backlink = $short_url->shorten($backlink);

//we don't post without backlinks! So check first...
    if(empty($backlink) || $backlink == false || $backlink == 0){
    echo 'Google shortned URL missing. Aborting...';
    return false;
    }

//END Doing Google Link Shortener Magic

and it works fine. Titles get shortened, hashtags get generated from tags/keywords mixed in with manually entered ones, all shortened if too long. Just see me most recent couple tweets https://twitter.com/imagoborealis. So I am not sure what the Google Link Shortener Magic is actually good for 😀

Hey Image, my SS professional is 1.4.9 and do not have such code in the lib/twitter-manager/functions.php. Did you mean that you removed or added the code above?
    My twitter doesn’t look cool like yours with full tittle and image placed in the post. It is all with … (Shortned). See them here:
    https://twitter.com/ArqsCriativos

How did you get to place more hashtags and show the full image title and so on?

Imago Borealis
    Participant

That piece of code is new in version 1.5.0. As you can see above Leo found a solution/fix already. I didn’t update so far because I use other code modifications as well. Upgrading for me always means some extra work. I am not even sure if the new fix is now in version 1.5.0 or if there is a version 1.5.1 already.

Imago Borealis
    Participant

Oh, I forgot: No, I am restricted to 140 characters per tweet, too. Each of the two links (backlink and pic link) eat up 20 characters. The remainder is split between title and hashtags. Both get shortened automatically if your image title is too long and/or your manually entered + auto generated + the Symbiostock hashtags are too long. I wish I had a magic formula for loooong tweets, though :mrgreen:

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

Oh, I forgot: No, I am restricted to 140 characters per tweet, too. Each of the two links (backlink and pic link) eat up 20 characters. The remainder is split between title and hashtags. Both get shortened automatically if your image title is too long and/or your manually entered + auto generated + the Symbiostock hashtags are too long. I wish I had a magic formula for loooong tweets, though :mrgreen:

Maybe this “magic” formula should be something in the twitter integration options like:
    This suggestion of mine here

Imago Borealis
    Participant

Luis, I agree that more flexibility in composing the tweets would be desirable. I feel that Leo recognizes the importance of the Twitter feature. That’s why he acted on my #hashtag issues and on earlier issues with the daily tweet queue right away. The problems are solved right now, which was most important for me. Now we talk about new features. This is from your other thread:

I would suggest to put options to keep above as default or allow (checkboxes):
    1. [_] remove the pic link and increase titles;
    2. [_] use titles words as hash tags;
    3. [ __ V ] How many words use from your image title (Hash tag or not);
    4. [_] use pre-text;
    5. [_] use pos-text.

So, if I check 1., 2. and 4 I would have:

#Piled #tires … http://www.arquivoscriativos.com.br/ima … d-tires-2/ … # #SYMBIOSTOCK #IMAGE #ARQUIVOSCRIATIVOS #PHOTOGRAPHY

Well, just a suggestion. ;0)

1. You can already remove the pic link in the general Twitter settings. Not sure if not having any pic included in a tweet would allow for longer titles, though.
    2. yes, that could save some otherwise redundant space.
    3. yes, full flexibility here would be the best
    4./5. could be helpful.

I imagine this as customizable default settings that would automatically generate the whole tweet in an edit box so that a webmaster can go and manually change (if wanted) every aspect of the customized auto-tweet before being sent either by daily tweet or manually right away. Even better if it was possible to be more flexible on the frequency of sending out queued tweets.

Profile photo of lucato
    lucato
    Participant

@Imago Borealis wrote:

1. You can already remove the pic link in the general Twitter settings. Not sure if not having any pic included in a tweet would allow for longer titles, though.

Hmmm, where did you see it. For me just shows the options:
    (_) Large preview
    (_) mini pic preview
    (_) Link only.

@Imago Borealis wrote:

I imagine this as customizable default settings that would automatically generate the whole tweet in an edit box so that a webmaster can go and manually change (if wanted) every aspect of the customized auto-tweet before being sent either by daily tweet or manually right away. Even better if it was possible to be more flexible on the frequency of sending out queued tweets.

Not sure if a plugin like WP to twitter would achieve that. I didn’t try, and not sure if it would get the image posts.

Imago Borealis
    Participant

Sounds weird but my guess is the option “(_) Link onlylink.” sends tweets without pic (and thus without pic link) but with link (to your image page) only.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.