Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of THPStock
    THPStock
    Participant

Probably the most asked about feature of Symbiostock as I read these forums is how the file gets delivered to the customer after some time, as the cron job does its thing.

Robin – To help clear up confusion a bit with this, in the Symbiostock settings, could there be a text box (with some pre-defined text that the user can edit, and allow HTML for markup) that appears on the Checkout and/or Order Completed page that simply explains for the customer that they will need to check their inbox in 5-10 minutes time for their download link etc etc?

If it was clearly explained on the front end, and editable on the back-end then perhaps both photographer and client would understand the process a little better?

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Let me look into this Tim.

THPStock
    Participant

Ok thanks Robin, thought it might reduce the amount of times you need to answer the same question on the forums 🙂

View my portfolio at THPStock Direct via Microstock Man. I also do Web Design & Graphic Design.

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It hasn’t been a big issue, actually. Only a couple of information requests regarding it. The main issues are server related. But having this mechanism will assist in more ways than one, so it’s a good suggestion.

THPStock
    Participant

One other suggestion while I’m at it….

Wordpress compresses each image upon upload (https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/fix-jpeg-compression/) which is good for our sites, but perhaps it could be better.

Would it be possible to have 3 settings in Symbio admin – 1 for main product image, 1 for shop grid, and 1 for tiny thumbnail and be able to enter the percentage of compression applied to each? For instance, I would be confident that I could probably increase the amount of compression applied to tiny thumbnails without much visual impact, but it all would help with page load times seeing our sites are image-heavy.

Not sure if this is even possible, but just an idea. 🙂

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It is possible, but based on the link you provided it alters the compression for everything. If there was an easy way to alter this depending on the size of the thumbnail we could add this feature, but it isn’t a huge enough factor to spend development time on. Small thumbnails use very little bandwidth and take very little time to load as it is, and the large ones look pretty good.

THPStock
    Participant

Fair enough, just a thought 🙂

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

The checkout message feature has been added and will be released with version 3.3 (which is the next release).

As always, if you want to help support our development, don’t hesitate to leave us a positive review on WordPress to encourage others to use the plugin:

https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/symbiostock/reviews/#new-post

THPStock
    Participant

Wow, thats speedy development! Thanks Robin, I hope its a feature that is useful to everyone.

Anything else of note in 3.3? Coming soon?

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

Lots of minor tweaks and fixes, helpful options, removing notifications, adding more inline documentation, but the biggest change is the vector support.

THPStock
    Participant

ok cool. Sorry to keep this thread going on now irrelevant things, but can I ask 2 more things…

1. The admin option “Sync Thumbnails to Titles” is dangerous because it overwrites ALT and Description text in images when the Title changes. These fields get left blank. Could this be explicitly stated so users are warned of it? I lost a fair bit of work a while back because of this option being turned on.

2. In the System Diagnostics check section (which is very helpful) can you add some more checks, for instance if the server supports “Use Apache’s mod_xsendfile” so we would know if we can use this option? The more options being checked in this section the safer to turn them on.

Anyway, thanks again for your quick work implementing my earlier suggestion.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.