Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

The symbiostock submitter is great, and allows global control over things like keywords, and even names. But there are still some agencies that do not have any (or very good) ftp uploads. It would be really helpful to allow a setting to export images that are eligible for submission (in other words if it would be submitted to that agency if they had ftp uploads available). Maybe use a default folder for each agency that could then be used for submission.

As it is now, I have to do a lot more work for those submissions, including keeping a much more extensive keyword list in Lightroom and naming them either through Windoze or after submission which creates a lot more work than should be required.

Thanks,

Walt

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

It would be extremely difficult to manage this – however, here is a suggestion I can make.

As it works via FTP, you could actually create a folder on your own install (ie /ftpuploads) and within that directory create subdirectories for the agencies you want to submit to. You could even run an FTP server off your own computer (http://www.xlightftpd.com/).

So, once you have your FTP server good to go, create subdirectories for the different non-ftp agencies such as ‘istock’.

Then, add this as an agency in your Symbiostock Submitter list, and set the ‘remote directory’ to ‘/ftpuploads/istock’, for example. Then the submitter will automatically populate that directory with what needs to be submitted as you add files.

Then, whenever you manually do submit those files, just delete them. That way only new ones will remain and you can deal with them manually at your leisure.

Profile photo of Walt Payne
    Walt Payne
    Participant

Robin,

A simple solution that I should have thought of myself, thanks!

Profile photo of Robin
    Robin
    Keymaster

No worries – I will actually add this to the documentation as it is a good example of using the Submitter for more than just submitting directly to agencies. You can use the FTP function to upload all your media files to a backup solution as well, for example.

The good thing about the method I mentioned above is you retain records of what has been submitted where all through Symbiostock, and if you’re editing your metadata within Symbiostock you really don’t need to do anything else as the metadata will get written right into the files themselves.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.