Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@klsbear wrote:

@shelma1 wrote:

You’re all free to change or modify whatever you like. If there are problems with Bluehost, though, I’d recommend changing the online instructions. If you want to attract artists, I’d keep things as simple as possible so you don’t scare people away.

@shelma1 wrote:

No, you can’t. I own the copyright to my work. You absolutely do not have my permission to use one word of it.

Shelma, I’m a bit confused. In the first post quoted you say we can change or modify what we like and later say no we can not change one word and implying copyright violation if we use it.

I thought your overall summary was good but agree that cidepix and Cathy have valid concerns with use of specific terms like commission and join that make it sound like there is a central agency.

So are you saying now that this was all for nothing as none of us can use this?

No, everyone is free to use or modify it, with the exceptions of Cathleen and Cihan.

Do you not join a network of websites and a group of artists when you use Symbiostock? I thought that was the beauty of the whole thing. Otherwise people can use anything to build their own independent, unconnected site, as I have.

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

wonder what would have happened If I didn’t say “I am sorry in advance”, “I appreciate” and “no offence” 😀

anyway, I wasn’t looking for an argument and still not looking.. just to clarify, I never mentioned that I wanted to use that description so it is funny that you say I can’t use it.. 🙂

you are the one who is making it personal.. for me you were just “a random forum person I strongly disagree”.. there is nothing wrong with “strongly disagreeing”.. 🙂

All the best to you.. as it is nothing personal, I will be around to praise and give credit when needed, just as I was here to criticise..

Profile photo of jsfoto
    jsfoto
    Participant

PLEASE stay friendly everybody … I really like Symbiostock, our growing network and the forum and I like this group of helpful, friendly people from all over the world. Call me a romantic or whatever, but I really would appreciate this place to stay friendly even when our opinions are drifting apart. I like what Shelma is doing (and I want to thank her for that), but I understand what Cidepix is criticizing and agree with his points. No need to be rude, miffed or to compare this forum to places probably no-one of us likes.
    And now we all stand in a circle, holding each others hands and dance around the warming fire 😉

Profile photo of grsphoto
    grsphoto
    Participant

I have done some editing…. does this work for people?

For potential creators of a Symbiostock site.

Symbiostock is the easy-to-use, fair trade network of photographers, videographers and illustrators that offers you the chance to sell directly to buyers and receive 100% of the sale. It also offers you tremendous marketing power by allowing you to link your site to other artists’, building on each other’s marketing efforts and increasing exposure to your work. Buyers can search multiple portfolios with just one click.

With Symbiostock, there are no levels to reach. No surprise price reductions. No approval process. No waiting period to sell images or get access to your earnings. You decide how much to charge. You decide which images to sell. You connect directly with buyers, building your own contact list and your own brand. You decide because you create and manage your own independant web store.

When you start to create your site, you’ll find we’ve done most of the work for you. Follow the step-by-step instructions and video tutorials at symbioguides.com to build your site. Then, visit the free forums at symbiostock.org to connect to other artists and build your marketing power.

The Symbiostock network gives you 100% royalties. No fees. No Commissions. Greater artistic freedom. More flexibility. And the chance to build alliances with fellow artists. All for just the price of your own web hosting (a little more if you want to add specialized add-ons and plug-ins).

Edit I think there needs to be a call to action at the bottom…visit symbiostock.com for more info about this great open source wordpress theme.

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

Great. The only change I would make is the spelling of “independent.” It definitely needed a call to action, but I wasn’t sure what it should be. Good job!

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

pretty good grsphoto..

I would remove “No fees” as paypal takes some of that %100 🙂

Profile photo of Christine
    Christine
    Participant

It is starting to come together – videographers – we can’t actually upload video’s to Symbiostock yet, only link to them though

http://kerioakimaging.com - trying to reopen
    http://nail-art-at.kerioak.com - Art and Nail Art

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@grsphoto wrote:

I like it. Well done!!!

Couple of quick things I noticed

A) Forums are at Symbiostock.org, not Symbiostock.net.

B) The line:
    @shelma1 wrote:

When you join, you’ll find we’ve done most of the work for you. Just sign up for hosting and a free domain name at bluehost.com.

Makes it sound like bluehost is the only site that can be used. It is the one the Leo recommends but any decent host will do, and if you already have your own domain and hosting, it is a breeze to add a Symbiostock wordpress site.

Maybe change it to….”Just sign up for hosting and a domain name at sites such as bluehost.com”

Glenn

Is there a host anyone would recommend over bluehost?

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@shelma1 wrote:

@klsbear wrote:

@shelma1 wrote:

You’re all free to change or modify whatever you like. If there are problems with Bluehost, though, I’d recommend changing the online instructions. If you want to attract artists, I’d keep things as simple as possible so you don’t scare people away.

@shelma1 wrote:

No, you can’t. I own the copyright to my work. You absolutely do not have my permission to use one word of it.

…..

No, everyone is free to use or modify it, with the exceptions of Cathleen and Cihan.

Do you not join a network of websites and a group of artists when you use Symbiostock? I thought that was the beauty of the whole thing. Otherwise people can use anything to build their own independent, unconnected site, as I have.

I was trying to stay out of this, but that’s just plain silly — you’re trying to claim a retroactive copyright?

your responses to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism have been totally unprofessional – all the critiques have been accompanied by POSITIVE suggestions for how to fix problems and serious misunderstandings in your writing. posts were directed at the written product you produced and you reply with ad hominem attacks

steve

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@grsphoto wrote:

….

Symbiostock is the easy-to-use, fair trade network of photographers, videographers and illustrators that offers you the chance to sell directly to buyers and receive 100% of the sale. It also offers you tremendous marketing power by allowing you to link your site to other artists’, building on each other’s marketing efforts and increasing exposure to your work. Buyers can search multiple portfolios with just one click…….

i’d remove the ‘fair trade’ wording — there was discussion of this in msg and ‘fair trade’ has a very specific meaning that symbiostock doesn’t achieve; many of us do believe in the ideas behind fair trade, but ity’s misleading to apply it directly

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

@shelma1 wrote:

@klsbear wrote:

…..

I was trying to stay out of this, but that’s just plain silly — you’re trying to claim a retroactive copyright?

your responses to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism have been totally unprofessional – all the critiques have been accompanied by POSITIVE suggestions for how to fix problems and serious misunderstandings in your writing. posts were directed at the written product you produced and you reply with ad hominem attacks

steve

How can I claim a retroactive copyright? By publishing here (or anywhere) I automatically own the copyright to my work; I am allowing usage, as all of us do when we allow sites to sell rights to use our copyrighted work.

“The author of a work is the initial owner of the copyright in it, and may exploit the work himself or transfer some or all the rights conferred by the copyright to others. The author generally is the person who conceives of the copyrightable expression and fixes it or causes it to be fixed in a tangible form.”

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@shelma1 wrote:

@cascoly wrote:

@shelma1 wrote:

steve

How can I claim a retroactive copyright? By publishing here (or anywhere) I automatically own the copyright to my work; I am allowing usage, as all of us do when we allow sites to sell rights to use our copyrighted work.

“The author of a work is the initial owner of the copyright in it, and may exploit the work himself or transfer some or all the rights conferred by the copyright to others. The author generally is the person who conceives of the copyrightable expression and fixes it or causes it to be fixed in a tangible form.”

true, but you gave up some of those rights when you initially allowed anyone to use the work — otherwise no one could ever use such work for fear of being blackballed at some later date. this isn’t nitpicking — symbiostock is open source, which means no one can be barred from using it as they please. many of us have already created faq and other text that we have distributed under the same conditions (ie anyone can use/modify them).. those who have created work they’d like to control have stated conditions when they published. trying to bar specific individuals from rights granted to all others is just petty

steve

Profile photo of shelma1
    shelma1
    Participant

How did everyone react to the FAQs you wrote?

Profile photo of cidepix
    cidepix
    Participant

@cascoly wrote:

@grsphoto wrote:

….

Symbiostock is the easy-to-use, fair trade network of photographers, videographers and illustrators that offers you the chance to sell directly to buyers and receive 100% of the sale. It also offers you tremendous marketing power by allowing you to link your site to other artists’, building on each other’s marketing efforts and increasing exposure to your work. Buyers can search multiple portfolios with just one click…….

i’d remove the ‘fair trade’ wording — there was discussion of this in msg and ‘fair trade’ has a very specific meaning that symbiostock doesn’t achieve; many of us do believe in the ideas behind fair trade, but ity’s misleading to apply it directly

good point about “fair trade”..

I had missed that..

Profile photo of cascoly
    cascoly
    Blocked

@shelma1 wrote:

How did everyone react to the FAQs you wrote?

just from the few sites I’ve seen — some people linked directly to my pages, other copied the text to their pages

content-wise – most of the faqs were distilled from long threads in MSG, and then refined by further comments

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)

The forum ‘Archives’ is closed to new topics and replies.